FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What are the symbols on your keyboard that you never use?

Peterssidan
I realized there are quite a few symbols on my keyboard that I never use.

I'm not even sure what this symbol is. It looks like the currency in The Sims.
I know this is one half but I honestly never use it. I guess I just write 1/2 or 0,5 instead.
The symbol for Pound. I never deal with pounds so I have never had any use for this symbol.
I don't know what this is. I remember they used this symbol on some national tests in math to mark extra hard questions. The teachers called it "a sun".
` I know this symbol can be combined with other symbols to write things like but I don't know any languages that use such symbols so I don't think I have ever found a good use for it.
This is the Euro symbol. Euro is not the official currency in Sweden so I don't find it useful, but I can understand if others do.

This is on a Swedish keyboard by the way.

jajarvin
Peterssidan wrote:

I have a finnish keyboard.
Finnish words do not contain the letter so I do not use this symbol.
amagard
is a clause used by lawyers, aka legal code
Peterssidan
jajarvin wrote:
I have a finnish keyboard.
Finnish words do not contain the letter so I do not use this symbol.

Are used when refering to Swedish places or do you transcribe names so they become free from ?
I guess is mainly useful for the Swedish speaking minority of Finland, or do they generally use a Swedish keyboard layout?

amagard wrote:
is a clause used by lawyers, aka legal code

Oh, I guess I knew that, I just forgot. I have actually used that symbol a few times when discussing C++ to refer to paragraphs in the C++ standard, but then I probably just copy pasted it without typing it on the keyboard.
jajarvin
Peterssidan wrote:
Are used when refering to Swedish places or do you transcribe names so they become free from ?
I guess is mainly useful for the Swedish speaking minority of Finland, or do they generally use a Swedish keyboard layout?

Finnish language is used for the Latin alphabet, with the addition of some of the letters, which is not Latina.
Written in the Finnish language alphabets are therefore established the following 29 letters in alphabetical order:

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z, , ,

When referring to Swedish places we do not transcribe names.
Almost all places have a finnish and a swedish name.

For example town Turku is in swedish bo and
town Porvoo is in swedish Borg.

I do not known how a swedish keyboard looks like.
But I think it more or less same kind as finnish keyboard.
As you can see a finnish keyboard contains letters , and .
Ankhanu
Looking at my keyboard, I was thinking that there were several keys that I don't use very often, and that surely there must be a couple I just don't use... but, I use all the keys Razz

I suppose the symbols I use least are:
` - Like you, I don't find this one useful on its own, though I use it's shifted tilde frequently (~)
| - again, I use \ from time to time, but almost never need the vertical line.
playfungames
I use almost all the symbols even the rarely used ^ sign sometimes. But right after reading this post's topic, I glanced at all the keys in my keyboard. I noted that most of the characters printed on the keys of the keyboard had already faded away in one way or the other. My space bar is sort of transparent because I hit it too much along with my 'N' key for some reason. The color on top of it is gone and they light up differently when I turn on the keyboard light. I guess my nails got to them.

Anyways, back to the topic: I noticed that there was this strange key between the ALT and CTRL key on the right side of my keyboard. I have never pressed the key on my keyboard or on any other computers that I have ever used. Judging by it's box like symbol, I thought it was for bringing up the start menu key. I pressed it and found out that it was actually the right click key. Never knew about it. Who would have known?

Now, maybe I will use it to right click. My touchpad isn't always accurate when I click in the bottom right corner for the right click key. I just have to get used to this new useful mysterious key.
SonLight
Almost all of the 'special' keys, at least on the US keyboard, have a function in *nix command lines.

~: stands for 'home directory' at the start of a file path
`: causes a string to be executed as a subprocess
!: executable text file symbol, aka script. Commonly called 'bang'
#: comment
$: string substitution
\: escape character
|: pipe output of one process to input of another
zarawatsonn
To be honest, there are so much symbols i have never used or vey less. Some of them are:

^
>
<
#