FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you kill time

standready
For me, a very sharp dagger to the second hand! laugh
but seriously - How do you kill time?
deanhills
I can't kill time as I just don't seem to have any. Time's just going much too fast for me. Just to imagine the time that is wasted to go to sleep. That's daunting enough for me.
spinout
ps4...
standready
deanhills wrote:
Just to imagine the time that is wasted to go to sleep

There will be plenty of time for sleep on the other side of life.
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Just to imagine the time that is wasted to go to sleep

There will be plenty of time for sleep on the other side of life.
What if we're going to work even harder than we thought we'd been working in this one?
loveandormoney
standready wrote:
For me, a very sharp dagger to the second hand! laugh
but seriously - How do you kill time?

Party.

Today
there is Friday and at 7 pm we start to kill time with gambling and laughing.

I know its ugly.
tonberry
I also have very little free time, when I have some, I usually watch part of some movie or a TV show episode. Bought a MIDI keyboard about 6 months ago and barely spent 5 hours playing. I need to find time for it but am always late with everything so it just stands there in the corner and makes fun of me!
deanhills
tonberry wrote:
Bought a MIDI keyboard about 6 months ago and barely spent 5 hours playing. I need to find time for it but am always late with everything so it just stands there in the corner and makes fun of me!
Am curious about the specs for the MIDI keyboard. What MIDI keyboard is it, and what are the specs?
jajarvin
Last night I slept 10 hours.
A very nice way to kill time.
tonberry
Dean, it's nothing to brag about, just a cheap model to get me started. With my experience (which is 0) and musical theory knowledge (also 0), I probably wouldn't even be able to distinguish between great keyboard and crap. So just like with car, I bought the first cheapest thing that isn't considered junk to get me started Smile

The model is Nektar iX-49. I thought about a slightly more expensive keyboard from Samson, as the company is known for creating stuff way above what they sell them for (have their wonderful non-coloring headphones for petty cash so don't need extra incentive), but it had plenty of extra buttons and faders which I didn't need as I just wanted to start Kontakt, load a piano instrument and start playing. Barely have gotten to that point so far!
Ankhanu
I've been considering doing the same to teach myself to play. I've been leaning towards the iRig Keys from IK Multimedia... but that's partially due to my interest in compatibility between my iPad, Mac and PCs. It is a little limited, though, with its controls... I think might prefer something with more programmable potentiometers and/or sliders or buttons to integrate with real time control for virtual analogue synthesizers at some point.
deanhills
tonberry wrote:
The model is Nektar iX-49.
I've never used anything like that before, sounds like something that may be just the right thing for me too. Cool
tonberry
Cool, it's never too late to start, it's fun and good for the brain! Just gotta have time Very Happy

Akhanu: looking at those iRigs and the problem with them is that even more expensive models have 3 octaves. To learn to play, the kind that I have (49 keys) is bare minimum and 61 is what most people recommend. The problem is with tutorials and with songs as well. For example: in a tutorial (or a book etc.) sooner or later someone asks to play stuff on a wider scale that the keyboard has and then it's impossible to do that excercise. With songs it's the same. Many "ordinary" songs go beyond 3-octaves in melody and classical music is impossible to play, as most compositions go all over the scale.

If you want more knobs, people seem to love this model:
http://www.amazon.com/Novation-Launchkey-Keyboard-Controller-Ableton/dp/B00VVK2A3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460137625&sr=8-1&keywords=novation+launchkey

More expensive than what I have, but still pretty cheap, more solid and better keys than in Nektar for sure.
nakane2016
I count ants.
Ankhanu
nakane2016 wrote:
I count ants.

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but, I'm an entomologist so I have to actually check if you're being honest Wink
What kind of ants? What resources do you use for identifications (if you are capable)?
loveandormoney
Watching them is more interesting than counting them.
Ankhanu
tonberry wrote:
Akhanu: looking at those iRigs and the problem with them is that even more expensive models have 3 octaves. To learn to play, the kind that I have (49 keys) is bare minimum and 61 is what most people recommend. The problem is with tutorials and with songs as well. For example: in a tutorial (or a book etc.) sooner or later someone asks to play stuff on a wider scale that the keyboard has and then it's impossible to do that excercise. With songs it's the same. Many "ordinary" songs go beyond 3-octaves in melody and classical music is impossible to play, as most compositions go all over the scale.

If you want more knobs, people seem to love this model:
http://www.amazon.com/Novation-Launchkey-Keyboard-Controller-Ableton/dp/B00VVK2A3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460137625&sr=8-1&keywords=novation+launchkey

More expensive than what I have, but still pretty cheap, more solid and better keys than in Nektar for sure.

The size of the keybed isn't of too much worry for me, really. I can learn the concept of the two handed techniques on three octaves... if something requires more split, my brain is capable of dealing with keeping the sounds in that range. Though a song might have a five octave split, I can process the patterns within three Smile My focus is also somewhat more towards synth techniques and the like, which often have smaller keybeds anyway, rather than "piano"... though I do like the sound of a good e-piano (e.g. Rhodes, Whurlitzer) and classic organs.

That Novation looks decent, but, would require additional hardware to interface with my iPad; which would likely be the dominant device I'd want to control. Running it through my Mac would be easy enough, but I'd also need to buy more expensive software for the interface. The multiplatform interface for the IK controller is it's big selling point.
loveandormoney
Do it more slowly
then You ll have more fun in the future.
Ankhanu
loveandormoney wrote:
Do it more slowly
then You ll have more fun in the future.

Do what more slowly?
spinout
Time, does not exist, it is just an illusion to us. There is just now...
So you can't kill something that not exist Smile
loveandormoney
Right. Love is also an illussion but it makes You happy every day during killing the not existing time.
Insanity
I don't know why people feel the need to kill time per se, or maybe that's just a bad using of that term. Because tehre are so many things worth doing in life, and killing time makes it seems like those things aren't worthwhile and you are merely doing away with boredom. there aer many things you can do to pass the time such as hobbies.
deanhills
spinout wrote:
Time, does not exist, it is just an illusion to us. There is just now...
So you can't kill something that not exist Smile
Makes great sense. When one thinks about time time becomes abstract and isn't real any longer.
tonberry
Insanity wrote:
I don't know why people feel the need to kill time per se, or maybe that's just a bad using of that term. Because tehre are so many things worth doing in life, and killing time makes it seems like those things aren't worthwhile and you are merely doing away with boredom. there aer many things you can do to pass the time such as hobbies.

Yeah, killing time is just something that's done by people who don't know what to do with it. It's mostly what teenagers do, because they're still carefree and are under the false impression that it's a limitless resource Smile And then the more we grow up, the more it starts leaking through our fingers even when we go to great lengths to make the best of it.
Da Rossa
If that means killing time, then I slaughter it with my studies, my law practice, reading and some Starcraft 2.
loveandormoney
Kissing is killing time. Living is killing time. But we enjoy killing time every day is more knowledge and more fun. When You like life.
ratanegra
With C4. I kill a lot of time with it. It just does boom, and time dies.

Nah, seriously, I chat on Telegram and read books. It's a lovely life I have.
assencess
I like dismantle eletronic devices) also, sometimes I play in Red Alert 2, Need for Speed V Porsche Unleashed or read books about programming, math.
P.S. Sorry about my English skills I study it by myself. Please, correct me if you find mistakes in my messages.