FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rock is dead?

RosenCruz
Why do you think about Rock genre ? Some say that best days of rock music is far behind and pop culture is invading both music and lifestyle.

I would like to hear your ideas on this
loveandormoney
Buy a guitae.

Sell Your TV machine

In our country
there are holidays now (Jesus) and so we play 4 days
Rock.

4 guitars.

Join us in the www.

Or listen to the Barry Manilow in a children TV show.
jajarvin
RosenCruz wrote:
Some say that best days of rock music is far behind and pop culture is invading both music and lifestyle.

That is also my opinion.
One should remember that Elvis Presley released his debut studio album almost exactly 60 years ago - March 23, 1956.

The rock music today ?
There is no rock music anymore.
Instead there is a large collection of artists who claims the the music they perform is rock music.

You can check yourself how things are by listening the following:

deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Why do you think about Rock genre ? Some say that best days of rock music is far behind and pop culture is invading both music and lifestyle.

I would like to hear your ideas on this
I agree. Just by looking around I see people looking for the best of rock in history, not in present time. However, I haven't given up completely though. People always think in parallel, and I'm sure there must be musicians who have caught on and are working on revivals as we speak.
Ankhanu
Rock isn't as popular as it was; culture changes... but there is still some amazing rock being written and produced. It's really much like any other genre, however, the best stuff isn't likely to be played on your radio, you need to find it. Rock isn't as mainstream as it once was, there's no question, but it's still going strong... much like jazz, or blues. Rock is a genre in decline, and has been for quite some time; but like an aging, skilled actor, it's got some life left to live.

I've got to say the phrase pop culture is invading both music and lifestyle strikes me as a little ridiculous and short-sighted. Pop culture has been the driving influence of music and lifestyle as long as there's been a music industry... the thing that changed is what that pop culture looks like. 20-30 years ago, rock music was a driving force in pop culture; bring that back to the time of Elvis, or the Beatles, it was an even stronger influence on pop culture... like it or not, Elvis, the Beatles, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, etc. are all pop music artists.
spinout
It has been dead for a long time now. I beleave it passed around 1966
Ankhanu
'Cause ya know what happened in 1967...

standready
Ankhanu wrote:
Rock isn't as popular as it was; culture changes... but there is still some amazing rock being written and produced. It's really much like any other genre, however, the best stuff isn't likely to be played on your radio, you need to find it. Rock isn't as mainstream as it once was, there's no question, but it's still going strong... much like jazz, or blues. Rock is a genre in decline, and has been for quite some time; but like an aging, skilled actor, it's got some life left to live.

I've got to say the phrase pop culture is invading both music and lifestyle strikes me as a little ridiculous and short-sighted. Pop culture has been the driving influence of music and lifestyle as long as there's been a music industry... the thing that changed is what that pop culture looks like. 20-30 years ago, rock music was a driving force in pop culture; bring that back to the time of Elvis, or the Beatles, it was an even stronger influence on pop culture... like it or not, Elvis, the Beatles, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, etc. are all pop music artists.

Very well stated, Ankhanu! Performing, I still see strong turnouts and am pleased to see young people enjoying the music.
RosenCruz
Likes of Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Kanye West etc. seems to be dominating the industry and I believe rock n roll is going back to an alternative position. Especially genres of metal is on a serious decline. As you said, there are still strong bands and musicians showing up so a total death is not definitely happening.
Ankhanu
Nah, metal's probably stronger than it's ever been, just not as visible.
RosenCruz
Ankhanu wrote:
Nah, metal's probably stronger than it's ever been, just not as visible.

It was visible. Even on the streets here. We could see headbanger in black tshirts and such. Now it is gone. There are great guys doing thrash and heavy. Nothing comes mainstream. Back in the days, at least heavy metal got its fame during 80s imo. Today there are greater drummers and guitarists and clear recordings. However, the spirit is lost
Ankhanu
Yeah, the 80s and early 90s were metal's (for certain concepts of the genre, at least) visible heyday. Mind you, a lot of that radio metal was kinda crap, suffering from the same sorts of issues that plague radio rock, pop, etc. in terms of quality.
That said, I definitely disagree that the metal spirit has been lost. If there's one thing to be be said about metal heads, it's that they are intensely passionate about their genre. There are more subgenres of metal than ever before, festivals are packed with attendees, and new bands and albums are still forming and pushing the genre forward.
standready
Unlike many old rock artist, Cheap Trick has always added new music to their shows. Yesterday, they finally released a brand new album. Not re-releases but new music! Sadly for me, they did not put a few of my favorite new ones on this album.

http://www.cheaptrick.com/
spinout
haha 1967 Jimi hendrix... pretty funny, good one!

As for original rockers the day that music died... that was in 1959, the famous plane crash. But I guess it is true in a way that "rock music" was presented mid 50s to late 50s. Then came the plain rock up to 66. Then after that was flower power like jimi hendrix and Pet sounds with the beach boys.
nakane2016
I find myself listening to old music more often lately.
playfungames
It is not as popular as it used to be. It might make a comeback someday when good original artists come to the scene. Right now, it's just the classic rock music that is awesome.
SonLight
spinout wrote:
It has been dead for a long time now. I beleave it passed around 1966

The original, "rock and roll", became pretty scarce about that time. As far as I'm concerned, rock music split up into multiple genres, some influenced by the original more than others. Musically it seems the defining characteristics are much more varied after that time, although a lot of good music continued to be written that had clear roots in rock and roll.
PauletteO
great music will forever live on the earth, whatever is it
SonLight
PauletteO wrote:

+1. For example, good ole' Bluegrass, still going strong regardless of fads.

One of my favorite "old-timer" pieces is "Will the Circle be Unbroken" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt band. Fine Country music, backed by a musically very talented band who showed they were well able to work in that genre. Interestingly, I've listened to but never got very excited about their "rock" music.
RosenCruz
SonLight wrote:
PauletteO wrote:

+1. For example, good ole' Bluegrass, still going strong regardless of fads.

One of my favorite "old-timer" pieces is "Will the Circle be Unbroken" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt band. Fine Country music, backed by a musically very talented band who showed they were well able to work in that genre. Interestingly, I've listened to but never got very excited about their "rock" music.

Just listened this on Spotify. Great sounds, great vocals. Loved the lyrics and everything. Thanks Wink
spinout
is you search for mainstreet stompers on spotify you can hear music that I have produced. 2 cds are up, but those are recorded on a portable studio and live. I have a thing for natural sound, not studio...