FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My thought on iPhone

darthrevan
Well guys it has been a long time since I have posted. But anyway back on topic. Originally I had an Samsung s4 Galaxy. After some time it started missing phone calls? Texts and other crap. Finally tax season came and now I have a iPhone 6s which I am liking much better. It is faster and I am also getting the expected calls and text.

There is one thing I do miss is swipe text though I can get it on iPhone but I am getting accustomed to the one that comes with the iPhone
RosenCruz
Nice phone. Too expensive for me. My LG G3 is working fine for like 1.5 years. I do not intend to change phone in near future
darthrevan
For the longest I really didn't want an apple product. Now I find it very nice. Yup very expensive but hope it will last me a long time. I bought the phone straight out so I could put it on a prepaid service which currently is straight talk.
Ankhanu
Thing is, price wise, they're not expensive, when compared to a similar product. Yes they're VERY expensive compared to a lot of the low to mid grade Androids, but the high end Androids are pretty much the same price, and they're the only ones that hold a candle to iPhone. There's no comparison until you hit the upper end of the Galaxy range and similar.

Check out SwiftKey if you want swipe keyboard. I used it for a while, but predictive text isn't really my friend in too many circumstances. Aside from it not knowing a lot of the words I use, it worked pretty well.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
Well guys it has been a long time since I have posted. But anyway back on topic. Originally I had an Samsung s4 Galaxy. After some time it started missing phone calls? Texts and other crap. Finally tax season came and now I have a iPhone 6s which I am liking much better. It is faster and I am also getting the expected calls and text.

There is one thing I do miss is swipe text though I can get it on iPhone but I am getting accustomed to the one that comes with the iPhone

Awesome to see you back darthrevan! Nice to see all of your posts. Cool

I've got to agree that the top of the range iPhone is about the same price as the top of the range Samsung S6 or Samsung Note 5/6. I checked prices out over the weekend and Samsung higher end of the range models have become extremely expensive. The Samsung Note 5 64 GB is around 820 US $ in the UAE, and about the same for iPhone S6 64GB. If one shops around one can get serious discounts of course as those top prices are probably just starting prices. But price wise there isn't that big of a difference any more. More a case of personal preference: if one has used iPhone before, it would be very difficult to adjust to Samsung. Not always the other way round though.
Ankhanu
Yeah, one's starting point is pretty important when choosing where to upgrade; if you've invested in iOS or Android apps already, you're fairly unlikely to start at square one again to switch operating systems.
playfungames
I am not much of an Apple fan but I think it is a great phone, perfectly built and all. The only thing that you can complain is the price point. Other than that, the iPhone is always built perfectly with the best hardware, software and performance in mind. But I plan to stick to Android.

Also, I was wondering how your Samsung phone missed calls for you. Such problems aren't supposed to be there in modern smartphones.
Insanity
I've always been more of an Apple fan than a Samsung fan mostly because I think the iPhone is a lot more intuitive than the Galaxy series or the Note series. Those phones always seem to break on me too, so there's that as well
rx9876
There is another new model of iPhone coming next month.
It's said that it's almost the same with iPhone 6S, but has smaller size and lower end camera.

It might be a better choice for people who don't want to use large phones.

The iPhone SE will be released on 31 March,
with pre-orders starting 24 March,
costing from $399 in the US, or 359 in the UK, for 16GB of storage;
$499 in the US, or 439 in the UK, with 64GB of storage.
deanhills
rx9876 wrote:
It's said that it's almost the same with iPhone 6S, but has smaller size and lower end camera.
That's awesome news rx. We've just had major sales of iphone 5S at stores in the UAE no doubt in an attempt to get rid of the remaining 5S phones. Apple must have noticed how popular the smaller size phones are. It definitely has my attention, although I wonder how long it will take to get to the UAE.
tonberry
Both Apple and Android phones have their pros and cons. Apple customer support can be devastatingly bad (they run schemes on their customers 24x7), but they are not the only ones who do so. Their specs may be overpriced, but at the end of the day it's about how fast the phone works and parameters have little to do with that. So many phones have huge amounts of gigabytes of RAM and XXX-core processors, yet they catch fire when you open a calculator app Very Happy Apple phones are well optimized and for that alone they have many fans.
Ankhanu
tonberry wrote:
Apple customer support can be devastatingly bad (they run schemes on their customers 24x7), but they are not the only ones who do so.

My experience with Apple customer support have been the absolute top examples of how customer service should be done; no one else I've dealt with have come anywhere close to their level of service.

tonberry wrote:
heir specs may be overpriced, but at the end of the day it's about how fast the phone works and parameters have little to do with that. So many phones have huge amounts of gigabytes of RAM and XXX-core processors, yet they catch fire when you open a calculator app Very Happy Apple phones are well optimized and for that alone they have many fans.

For me it's less about specs, and more about the operating environment. I've always found that Android OSes require settings tweaks and playing around with preferences to configure into a comfortable, attractive interface/operating environment... there's almost always something that needs to be fixed (and once fixed it's fine). iOS, on the other hand, I've always found comfortable with no, or very little, effort.

Of course, this is a part of the completely subjective user experience and will differ user to user.

In terms of system speed and performance, Apple and their comparable Android models, are close enough that the differences don't really matter.
rx9876
deanhills wrote:
rx9876 wrote:
That's awesome news rx. We've just had major sales of iphone 5S at stores in the UAE no doubt in an attempt to get rid of the remaining 5S phones. Apple must have noticed how popular the smaller size phones are. It definitely has my attention, although I wonder how long it will take to get to the UAE.

I am not so sure about how popular the smaller size phones are.
I heard many friends talking about their next phone will still be the large ones,
and do not think iphone SE is a smart choice.

Apple definitely did some market researches, and decided to sell smaller phone again.
However, it takes times to see how this decision will affect the market share.
According to the history,
the preview and review articles are always picky on the new iPhones,
but Apple still sold a lots.
deanhills
rx9876 wrote:

Apple definitely did some market researches, and decided to sell smaller phone again.
However, it takes times to see how this decision will affect the market share.
According to the history,
the preview and review articles are always picky on the new iPhones,
but Apple still sold a lots.
True. I always like to wait to see how a new product takes shape first before I buy it. I really don't need all of the android bells and whistles, they're irritating me all of the time too. There's probably going to be some things that irritate me with Apple too, but so far it impresses me more. I'm under no pressure to decide about a phone soon, so will keep on checking it out until something really falls into place.
Ankhanu
rx9876 wrote:
I am not so sure about how popular the smaller size phones are.
I heard many friends talking about their next phone will still be the large ones,
and do not think iphone SE is a smart choice.

Smaller size phones do have some market demand, though it will remain to be seen how popular the SE becomes. Personally, I still have an iPhone5, and I like its size; I've found the iPhone6, iPhone6+, Samsung S4, Note and beyond to all be somewhat uncomfortably large. I do plan to get a new phone this year, so I like the idea of having the choice to buy something smaller that will still give me the performance and options I'm interested in. I don't know if I WILL choose the SE, but it's an option to consider. (Chances are I'll wait until the next generation of this year's phones are announced to upgrade so I get good performance as far into the future as possible)

deanhills wrote:
I always like to wait to see how a new product takes shape first before I buy it.

I really don't think how well the SE does in the market should have any real bearing on whether or not it's a good purchase for you. Market popularity will have absolutely no influence on whether or not it works and is comfortable in your hand. If these things were modular, and not an all-in-one package, if they could be upgraded with compatible parts, I can see wanting to make sure that it would have support as far into the future as possible, but, they're not. It's a product that will remain the same through its lifecycle. Even if it flops on the market, but you like its size/performance, it will continue to work for you if it disappears from the market in future generations.
tonberry
Ankhanu wrote:
My experience with Apple customer support have been the absolute top examples of how customer service should be done; no one else I've dealt with have come anywhere close to their level of service.

I know a guy who worked for Apple, he told me plenty about how they "fix" what comes their way, and I mean company policies, not employee's incompetence. The latter can be a problem too, my girlfriend's brother's broken phone was sent back to him twice, both times they claimed it was fixed, both times it turned out they didn't even open the package before sending it back Smile Unfortunately, every major company does stuff like that to some extent to cut costs and remain competitive.

tonberry wrote:
In terms of system speed and performance, Apple and their comparable Android models, are close enough that the differences don't really matter.

In my experience, new top shelf models are comparable, but cheaper Android phones are much slower compared to aged iPhones. Partly because the system itself is a bloated junk, for sure.
Ankhanu
Yeah, I've never had anything fixed, they've just sent me a new replacement phone.

In terms of their computers, I've worked at our local authorized dealer, and know that any computer that came our way was properly dealt with. That's not to say all of them do that, I suppose. One of our big-box retailers also claimed to be officially licensed and trained when I spoke to them about possible repairs, but when talking with tech support they mentioned my old employer as still being the only one in the region.
rx9876
I assume that people all have different experience from the same company, not to mention that we live in different countries.
My iPhone 5S was sent back at the 10th or 11th months.
After 2 weeks, they sent a replacement phone to me,
but it's a repaired faulty phone with a not so small dent which might makes me lost my warranty.
It's lucky that this replacement phone did not have major issues that requires warranty in the next 2 months.
airh3ad
We don't need to buy expensive smartphone. the most important is to have communication to your friends and love ones.
Ankhanu
airh3ad wrote:
We don't need to buy expensive smartphone. the most important is to have communication to your friends and love ones.

Different people have different needs.
For me, a basic cell phone would be a complete waste of money; the features I use most are the "smart" features and apps, even for communication. I wouldn't use a basic phone, it would just be ongoing service fees for very little benefit.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
For me, a basic cell phone would be a complete waste of money; the features I use most are the "smart" features and apps, even for communication. I wouldn't use a basic phone, it would just be ongoing service fees for very little benefit.
I think it depends where you are. I agree that the smart features in their own right, like whatsapp and Skype would be huge savings, but I don't pay anything on my cell phone. My SIM is prepaid. So there is no monthly charge. I only pay for the calls I make, although I think it is slightly more than on a plan. That has an inbuilt savings factor though that one is very aware of how much the phone calls cost when you pay it in advance.

Having said that, I am considering buying an iphone for all of the reasons you've mentioned in your above post and the others before. I'm just waiting to see what happens with their new addition.
tonberry
Plenty of people I know bought smartphones just because it's the only type of phone around lately. They were always claiming phone should be used to talk and anything else is excessive baggage. Now most of them use dozens of apps daily and can't imagine life without them Smile I think it was like that with those people because they thought installing crap on a smartphone is just a sport in itself, or is only for slacking off, but then they found out that it has many practical uses and saves time.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
I think it depends where you are. I agree that the smart features in their own right, like whatsapp and Skype would be huge savings, but I don't pay anything on my cell phone. My SIM is prepaid. So there is no monthly charge. I only pay for the calls I make, although I think it is slightly more than on a plan. That has an inbuilt savings factor though that one is very aware of how much the phone calls cost when you pay it in advance.

Yeah, here prepaid contributions expire a month after purchase, unless you buy $100+ at a time, which will last a year (or until used). With how I use a phone, this would be money wasted Razz

deanhills wrote:
Having said that, I am considering buying an iphone for all of the reasons you've mentioned in your above post and the others before. I'm just waiting to see what happens with their new addition.

From my perspective, the "new addition" will be the new generation of phone that likely won't be announced/released until near the fall. The SE is really just a new size, and is otherwise the same as a 6S without the 3D touch feature. It's not a new phone, just a size option, IMO.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
The SE is really just a new size, and is otherwise the same as a 6S without the 3D touch feature. It's not a new phone, just a size option, IMO.
I'm so happy to hear that, as at another Forum someone said that the SE was a total departure from the usual. I want it to be the same as I've heard only good about 6S so far. I'm looking forward to having nice company as well. I hear the phone comes with some nice company called Siri. Razz
Ankhanu
Siri can be fun... particularly seeing whether or not she understands what you say Razz

It is a useful feature though. I don't use it for web searches or anything like that, but it works fairly well for setting alarms, reminders and things along those lines.
Da Rossa
IPhone is good. Very resistant, and also physically time-resilient. The problem is Apple does programmed obsolescence. They force us to update the operating system to a allegedly more powerful, but also more resource hungry. The hardware doesn't change. So before you know it your experience is laggy. Swiping up and down is no longer smooth. And, if you're the tough guy who can stand that invasive "1" pointing to a OS update, you're eventually getting in the cold not by Apple, but by the developers, gradually. ios6 to ios7 was a major loss for my iPhone 4s' performance. Now, I can't even find a decent, on-going app that supports versions prior to 7.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
The problem is Apple does programmed obsolescence. They force us to update the operating system to a allegedly more powerful, but also more resource hungry.
That's so true Da Rossa. Yesterday I had this experience with iPad. I don't use iPad, but there was one at work that had been hardly used since it was purchased a year ago, and since no one knew what the password was when we tried to use it a week ago, I took it upon myself to reset iPad with iTunes. The updates that were needed to restore the ipad were a whopping 1.8GB. In order for me to download that to iPad I first had to update my iTunes on my desktop computer. That took forever because that was HUGE as well. In the end I had to chuck the updates of itunes on my computer and work with creating a new installation of Itunes, so all of that took a while. It did work very well in the end, but for something as small as an iPad I thought updates of 1.8GB were a bit excessive and must have taken up a lot of the resources of the iPad. Think the iPad has only 3GB RAM. Once it was reset however, it did work well. Did take a very long time for the battery to charge though. Hopefully the battery is OK.
Da Rossa
What is your iPad version? I forgot to mention the same phenomenon on iPad too. I have an iPad 2 bought in 2011, which originally had iOS 5. Flew smooth as a tango. Now, with iOS 9.3.1, I can't even scroll (swipe) down the way it used to be.
Insanity
I think the Galaxy can do everything the iPhone can do. It's cheaper and it's not an apple product.
Da Rossa
Insanity wrote:
I think the Galaxy can do everything the iPhone can do. It's cheaper and it's not an apple product.

Lets be honest, it is not THAT cheaper. At least not in my country. But it is very nice.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Insanity wrote:

Lets be honest, it is not THAT cheaper. At least not in my country. But it is very nice.
I agree. Particularly the top of the range products in both iPhone and Samsung are neck on neck on price. Sometimes Samsung is even more expensive than iPhone. I think both are good depending on what people are used to. One is rarely able to change an iPhone user to Samsung. Those who do always complain heavily about how "bad" Samsung is. And the other way round.
Da Rossa
Instead of thinking bad of Samsung, I'd like to hear android-phone owners what do they think about security and all those news e get about a vulnerability that could virtually give remote control of your phone. I rarely or never hear that about iPhone.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Instead of thinking bad of Samsung, I'd like to hear android-phone owners what do they think about security and all those news e get about a vulnerability that could virtually give remote control of your phone. I rarely or never hear that about iPhone.
I guess it's in the nature of android that people can explore much further and much wider than iphone. One can do much more with android than iphone, so it would make sense by the same token that android would be more vulnerable.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
Insanity wrote:

I agree. Particularly the top of the range products in both iPhone and Samsung are neck on neck on price. Sometimes Samsung is even more expensive than iPhone.

Absolutely correct. S7 Edge, for example (a phenomenal bit of hardware) is more expensive than iPhones.

deanhills wrote:
I think both are good depending on what people are used to. One is rarely able to change an iPhone user to Samsung. Those who do always complain heavily about how "bad" Samsung is. And the other way round.

Yeah, the dogmatism surrounding cell phone companies and platforms is utterly ridiculous. So much of what makes a particular phone better or worse comes down to personal, subjective experience and intent, and in many cases, unfounded biases.
jestoy0514
I have used an iphone before, iphone 4 to be exact. I am not saying that it is better than other android based smartphone just on that time iphone 4 was working more than expected. battery life is very decent watching videos and play games was excellent. I did not encounter any problems at all. if you were going to compare the performance of iphone 4 to an android based os with the same specification there will be a huge difference in every aspect. You are just going to held back because of the price it was really expensive as compared with android based phone.
Ankhanu
jestoy0514 wrote:
I have used an iphone before, iphone 4 to be exact. I am not saying that it is better than other android based smartphone just on that time iphone 4 was working more than expected. battery life is very decent watching videos and play games was excellent. I did not encounter any problems at all. if you were going to compare the performance of iphone 4 to an android based os with the same specification there will be a huge difference in every aspect. You are just going to held back because of the price it was really expensive as compared with android based phone.

But it's not.
You're experience is with an iPhone 4, which was released in 2010. It had a price of $600.
The Samsung Galaxy was also released 2010... its MSRP? $600.

It's been stated several times in the thread, and a cursory web search will confirm, the prices of an iPhone and its real android competitors is negligibly different.