FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much quality coffee does your Money buy?

chasbeen
OK so I was away in Canada from late 2002 until April 2012.
While I was away the UK got the coffee bug but boy does it Cost!

In Canada a company called Tim Hortons is king for coffee and the typical Canadian will pick one up twice a day.

Based on a biggest size Americano take-away cup here is the compare:

UK High street 2-50p ($5.00)
Canada Tim's $1.50 (75p)

Both are nice coffee's but hey!

What do you reckon on the taste and price in your "neck of the woods"?
Ankhanu
I think a large at Tim's is a bit over or under $2 now, but, yeah, it's still cheaper.

I'm a bit of a non-typical Canuck, I suppose, I only get Tim's coffee once in a while; it's not very good coffee, and I generally brew at home or work.
chasbeen
Ankhanu

Ah, maybe, I was last back in October 2015. A common thread is Starbucks. How much a large Americano? I think Starbucks is more than $2?

2-50 in UK! But it's not as good as Costa (UK brand) Smile
standready
I don't know because I brew my own at home. Far less expensive and taste just fine.
chasbeen
standready

I do 2 Smile
Ankhanu
chasbeen wrote:
Ankhanu

Ah, maybe, I was last back in October 2015. A common thread is Starbucks. How much a large Americano? I think Starbucks is more than $2?

2-50 in UK! But it's not as good as Costa (UK brand) Smile

For the hell of it, I swung through a Tim's drive-thru this morning; large is $1.78, Extra-large is $2 (plus taxes, of course).

I think it may bear observing the cost of things in general between the UK and Canada. I've noted in discussions with people in the UK regarding guitars that the numeric price of a guitar in the UK is pretty much the same as the numeric price of a guitar in the US or Canada; e.g. a $1200 guitar will also be 1200. This, of course, means that the guitar is far more expensive in the UK, since the pound is worth much more than our dollars. That said, however, I get the sense that people earn similar numeric incomes as well, meaning that the costs and incomes scale pretty well... yeah, a 2 coffee is technically more expensive than a $2 coffee, but someone living in the UK can buy just as many coffees as someone living in Canada.
chasbeen
I have to say I prefer the UK Costa brewed at home. I bought a Tim Hortons Tassimo pack before I came back so I can still have both....
Insanity
Has anyone tried that coffee in the movie the Bucket List where Jack Nicholson's character drinks this expensive coffee that is apparently made by cats defecating seeds then roasting them? Seems kind of crazy to me, but apparently that's a real thing. I wonder how it actually tastes, but would not actually want to drink it...

It's pretty expensive stuff apparently as well, since it's so niche and I assume more difficult to produce than regular coffee.
chasbeen
Insanity
No Shocked
Don't let anyone persuade you to drink this!
Some people are so silly they would let a Salesman sell them snow even though they were an Eskimo!!!
BigGeek
Insanity wrote:
Has anyone tried that coffee in the movie the Bucket List where Jack Nicholson's character drinks this expensive coffee that is apparently made by cats defecating seeds then roasting them? Seems kind of crazy to me, but apparently that's a real thing. I wonder how it actually tastes, but would not actually want to drink it...

It's pretty expensive stuff apparently as well, since it's so niche and I assume more difficult to produce than regular coffee.

Kopi Luwak is the name of the coffee, the Civit Cat eats the coffee flowers but cannot digest the beans, so they crap them out. Now who figured out that they can collect up the cat crap and harvest the beans, roast them, and brew them into coffee must have been desperate for a cup of coffee.

Friend of mine some years back bought some - it was expensive - Good coffee is typically $8 to $10 dollars for a 12 ounce bag, this stuff was $45 for a 10 ounce bag. Really expensive! He brewed a pot at work and all the coffee drinkers tasted it - It was good coffee, but honestly no better than any other good coffee and I would never pay $45 for a bag of it - it wasn't that good!! Plus something about drinking coffee made from beans that came from cat crap didn't appeal to me as the greatest coffee in the world! Mostly hype if you ask me!

Like Morgan Freeman said in the movie - give me a cup of "chock full O nuts" coffee - it's good coffee, doesn't drain your bank account, and tastes just fine!

To answer the question, a large coffee at starbucks is $2.45 these days, if you drink one a day it would cost you over $70 a month just for coffee, plus I don't like starbucks, too strong and burnt flavored, I buy at the grocery store and brew my own, tastes great and it is a lot cheaper than $70 a month for coffee!
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:
I don't like starbucks, too strong and burnt flavored!
Exactly why I don't like their coffee either. Tastes strong and burnt to me too. I do like Tim Horton's French Vanilla coffee though. Like once in a while over the weekend. It's quite expensive here in the UAE - about 4 US$.
chasbeen
BigGeek
deanhills

I don't like Starbucks either.
dh-Tim Hortons in UAE? i'm thinking there's only one in the USA!
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
BigGeek
deanhills

Nope - they're getting to be all over the UAE right now and there are HUGE Bill Boards marketing Tim Horton's in Dubai.

The photo shows the one with the HUGE Bill Board in the big main road that runs through Dubai - Sheikh Zayed Rd.

chasbeen
deanhills
Is it like back home in there?
Ankhanu
That's crazy; I had no idea!
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
deanhills
Is it like back home in there?
Not sure what you mean, but if it is along the lines of Dubai looking like the US. No. It looks better. Wink

Dubai is a complete miracle of hundreds of huge skyscrapers and fantastic high ways constructed over 10 years. So much investment from Iranians, Iraqis, Syrians, Lebanese, Saudis - all of your very wealthy who departed other parts of the Middle East. Then of course money attracts money - and debt attracts debt. So big businesses from the US and other large countries put up their franchises in all of the many malls that have been built every where. I'm still waiting for another bubble to burst. But who knows, maybe not. I found this site where some of the construction has been recorded around 2012, but it is still ongoing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/imresolt/8044411710/in/photostream/

Dubai Metro is probably one of the nicest light rails I've seen. Also constructed during this bubble, but working out fantastic. While it was being built quite large portions of Dubai were almost upside down. The roads and transport infrastructure is of the best in the world. Great taxi system, great metro system and traffic, although too much of it does move.

So of course back to your topic, all of the world's best coffee places are everywhere in Dubai. Even Cafe Nero. Costas and Starbucks are the most popular though. Starbucks mostly because it affords a great gathering place for local males and they also set the Starbucks up in that way - comfortable tables and chairs with really great selection of snacks and cakes plus the coffee. There is a great variety of coffee places to the equivalent of being representative of a mini cosmos of the whole of the world. As much as Dubai has turned into a complete cosmopolitan city - however with concentration of the best and brightest of the UAE and the Middle East region. You'd be delightfully surprised if ever you visited it one day. Don't visit it from May to August though - as too hot, there's Ramadan coming up in June/July, and not as enjoyable as one is not allowed to eat and drink anything during the day and all eating and coffee places etc are closed. Xmas time is probably the best time to come - November through to February.
LxGoodies
deanhills wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
I don't like starbucks, too strong and burnt flavored!
Exactly why I don't like their coffee either. Tastes strong and burnt to me too. I do like Tim Horton's French Vanilla coffee though. Like once in a while over the weekend. It's quite expensive here in the UAE - about 4 US$.

About consistent with ours, 3,70 euro here. But I kinda appreciate their ways, I like good burned and strong.

At the airport there's an Italian cafeteria. Now that is real coffee Boo hoo!
chasbeen
deanhills-I thought you were Canadian, apologies..
Also if ever I think of living working in UAE-I'll look up this info you left!
LxGoodies-I haven't met anyone who likes it yet either Smile
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
deanhills-I thought you were Canadian, apologies..
You're right I am. Although I've been in the UAE for a few years now. As a resident though.
BigGeek
deanhills wrote:
chasbeen wrote:
BigGeek
deanhills

Nope - they're getting to be all over the UAE right now and there are HUGE Bill Boards marketing Tim Horton's in Dubai.

The photo shows the one with the HUGE Bill Board in the big main road that runs through Dubai - Sheikh Zayed Rd.

They don't have any Tim Horton's on Colorado - YET - but when I traveled to Canada and to Michigan a few years ago the clients I was with typically ate breakfast or got coffee from Tim Horton's - I must say it was great coffee, much better than Upchucks (I mean Starbucks) if you ask me! I am still OK with buying Starbucks in the store and brewing it at home, much better coffee that way, but I am much more of a fan of Pete's Coffee, and Caribou Coffee that we can buy in the the grocery store over Starbucks - we have a local coffee Boyer's Coffee and it is pretty good, I like their Rocky Mountain Roast the best.

I nicked named Starbucks - UpChucks ever since a friend of mine came out to visit from back east, and we drank a bit too much the night before, and when we went to Starbucks to get him his morning cup of coffee, the smell in the place had him running out the door and blowing his guts in the planter outside. Needless to say we didn't get any Starbucks that morning and went to another local coffee shop. Every time I smell that "Starbucks" smell the name pops up "UpChucks". Shocked
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:
I am much more of a fan of Pete's Coffee, and Caribou Coffee that we can buy in the the grocery store over Starbucks - we have a local coffee Boyer's Coffee and it is pretty good, I like their Rocky Mountain Roast the best.

UAE has Caribou Coffee here too like more than one in all of the bigger malls. And it seems to be quite popular as people like their coffee. I haven't tried Caribou out yet. I haven't heard of Pete's Coffee yet.

BigGeek wrote:
I nicked named Starbucks - UpChucks ever since a friend of mine came out to visit from back east, and we drank a bit too much the night before, and when we went to Starbucks to get him his morning cup of coffee, the smell in the place had him running out the door and blowing his guts in the planter outside. Needless to say we didn't get any Starbucks that morning and went to another local coffee shop. Every time I smell that "Starbucks" smell the name pops up "UpChucks". Shocked
Haha .... well coined! Laughing
chasbeen
I bought a 2 x 20 packs of Costa Americano for many happy Tassimo home brews yesterday for a knock down 6 ($12) which is 15p (30 cents) a small cup of very nice tasting coffee.

Better than the shops where you get only 2 and a bit massive cups of not so nice coffee for the same money. I still do that though occasionally.....