FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMD blasts nVidia GPUs in Doom 4K Benchmarks

THE11thROCK™
Tech News: AMD blasts nVidia GPUs in Doom 4K Benchmarks
http://terablitz.com/hardware/tech-news-amd-blasts-nvidia-gpus-in-doom-4k-benchmarks/
AMD's flaghip GPU blasted nVidia in 4K benchmarks for the upcoming 2016 game of Bethesda, Doom.

What do you guys think? Is AMD the new GPU king or nVidia still leads?

RosenCruz
AMD has a lot of potential. Too bad they have to compete with both Intel and nVidia at the same time. Especially Intel is a huge competition. Hope they get back to the good old days
SpaceInvader75
Unfortunately, I haven't had any recent experience with either of them. The last time I tried to order a Radeon card to upgrade my computer it refused to work in my system, which, ironically, had an AMD cpu but it had an nVidia chipset. So I ended up going with an nVidia card which was actually decent for the games I played, but it costs be about $140. I could have found something similar on NewEgg for $100 but I had to wait a couple of weeks to get my refund and I wasn't taking a chance on doing that again. lol
RosenCruz
I have recently put together a PC. It is AMD APU based. I liked it. Does everything I need. Performance and stability at an average level Wink
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
I have recently put together a PC. It is AMD APU based. I liked it. Does everything I need. Performance and stability at an average level Wink
Would love to hear what the specs are. I'm always impressed with someone who can build their own rig.
SpaceInvader75
I'd be interested in the specs too. I'm either going to build another computer or buy a used one and upgrade it. I saw a review of a budget gaming system built with the A10 and no video card. I think it may have had 16Gb RAM, and I know he used high speed RAM, since the APU has no video memory.
RosenCruz
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
I'd be interested in the specs too. I'm either going to build another computer or buy a used one and upgrade it. I saw a review of a budget gaming system built with the A10 and no video card. I think it may have had 16Gb RAM, and I know he used high speed RAM, since the APU has no video memory.

Quote:
Would love to hear what the specs are. I'm always impressed with someone who can build their own rig.

Hello,

Here is my latest system. It runs Windows 10 smoothly. I can browse easily with 8-10 tabs open. Can watch 1080p mkv's and run Java runtime in my browser (Need this for work)

ASUS F1A75-V Motherboard

AMD A8 3870 APU (with DirectX 11 Support)

8 GB Corsair DDR3 2133 MHZ (OC:2400MHZ) RAM

Zalman Z3 Plus Mid Tower Case

OCZ 120GB SSD Drive
-------------------------

I already had another 1 TB WD hard drive, 21.5 inch fujýtsu screen, keyboard and mouse. So did not spend money for them.

All those cost me around 350 dollars. MoBo and CPU is a little old version (2011-2012 series) but they work fine for me. I liked the APU mentality. I believe 2015 A10 APUs can do great work and even gaming if you are not a fps monster.
deanhills
That's pretty awesome Rosen. Noticed you're on SSD as well. And the low price. I thought since there aren't as many technicians around as before who would put together rigs, i.e. brand computers taking over, that maybe the price wasn't that economical for them any longer, but 300 US$ sounds excellent. And there must be some satisfaction of having put it together yourself. Cool
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
That's pretty awesome Rosen. Noticed you're on SSD as well. And the low price. I thought since there aren't as many technicians around as before who would put together rigs, i.e. brand computers taking over, that maybe the price wasn't that economical for them any longer, but 300 US$ sounds excellent. And there must be some satisfaction of having put it together yourself. Cool

Yes. Opening the case, inserting the MOBO and CPU, RAM sticks. Unwrapping each box, all those screwdrivers, fans and effort put together.

I like the idea of building my own PC. I had fun gathering all these together. APU technology definitely is sth that should be worked. Especially for Office computers. People are crazy these days. They are paying for a gaming "keyboard" or "headphones". or a i7 . I guess I m a little more budget guy. AMD is my thing Rolling Eyes
SpaceInvader75
I really enjoy computer games, and I was thinking of building a budget gaming pc based on either the A8 or A10 GPU. Your price sounded pretty reasonable, about the price of an Xbox one. I'll have to buy Windows for gaming though. I think for gaming I might want to go with an A10 APU, but I just saw a $200 budget gaming build with the A8 APU. But it probably doesn't play the newest games too well.
RosenCruz
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
I really enjoy computer games, and I was thinking of building a budget gaming pc based on either the A8 or A10 GPU. Your price sounded pretty reasonable, about the price of an Xbox one. I'll have to buy Windows for gaming though. I think for gaming I might want to go with an A10 APU, but I just saw a $200 budget gaming build with the A8 APU. But it probably doesn't play the newest games too well.

Windows 10 is free, if you have a previous Windows version or if you install an evaluation copy of a previous version. Activates just fine legally.

A new A10 APU would be a great budget gaming PC hardware. If you support with a R7 graphics card once you have enough money later, I believe you can many games of coming years
SpaceInvader75
I would like to use my computer for more than games. And actually, I'd like to build more than one, if I can get the money together. I like watching gaming build videos on YouTube, and it would be fun to make at least a YouTube channel based on hardware. If you save around $100 on the OS, it seems to make it worth spending the money on the hardware instead of a console, even if you were going to use your PC more for gaming. The console might be more convenient and require less maintenance, with the exception of cleaning the dust out. I had to watch a video you YouTube, just to figure out how to disassemble my xbox 360, after it started to overheat. And if the warranty had not been up I would have voided it by opening it. This is a pretty bad design flaw to me. I have never been a fan of small cases.

BTW, I think many people are wasting money on the I7, unless you absolutely need the fastest CPU. I just found some budget builds based on the Xeon E5 2670. I looked just now and found a used one on Ebay for $60. Of course, one disadvantage to this build is the motherboards are more expensive, but I've seen CPU benchmarks where it is not far behind a much more expensive I7 in performance, even though the build is based on older technology. If the motherboards weren't so expensive (and it's not an APU) I would consider it for my next PC. I'm not sure how much the R7s are, but I was thinking about adding a 750ti later.
RS108
Very curious what they are going to bring to combat the 1070, it has very good performance at an semi-affordable price. A cheaper alternative that has the same performance would IMHO truly be the king!
Da Rossa
So can we say, or is it still so early to say that the graphics-war-pendulum is shifting back to ATI?
restonpiston
I really hope that AMD competition rises to previous levels like years ago, when AMD's processors and GPU competed very well against Intel and NVIDIA. The new AMD GPU is, from my point of view, superior to NVIDIAS's in very high resolution because the new memory architercure