FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is your favorite linux distro

What is the best recognized flavor of Ubuntu?
Edubuntu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ubuntu GNOME
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kubuntu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ubuntu Kylin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lubuntu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mythbuntu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ubuntu Studio
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Xubuntu
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Ubuntu MATE
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
You don't like any distros here: http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/flavours
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

IceCreamTruck

This is likely an old topic, and probably been done before, but I want to breath new life into the discussion on the best linux distro.

Are you a straight ubuntu fan? Do you like KDE on kubuntu? Are you more of an XFCE fan on xubuntu or LFCE on lubuntu?

Personally linuxmint is getting a lot of my attention lately because it's pretty clean. I also like how some things are arranged. I would go with kubuntu because I like all the full range of cool desktop effects, but at the same time I'm not a big fan of the desktop itself in KDE. I want a more standard desktop with icons, and once you start configuring things it seems like there is no end. I prefer linuxmint recently because the desktop is more of what I expect, and less configuration to get it to behave the way I want. On the back end I'm debian all the way. I haven't used OpenSUSE in years, so maybe I should be fair and give a few of those distros a chance. Wikki says openSUSE is the OS for sysadmin. It's been probably 10 years since I've installed RedHat.

The change to linuxmint came suddenly. I was on xubuntu for a long time because I knew someone who was a major contributor to that, but I ended up having some hardware issues, and couldn't get away from a few things not quite working the way I wanted, so I branched out again.

I might try to install Archlinux which is my friends favorite, but it's slightly more technical than most of the others to get started. I haven't found an easy USB creator for arch yet.

Now it's your turn. What is your favorite distro and why? (the and why part is important)

PS. You will not get any cookies from me if you don't include the "why this distro" part.
jajarvin
My choice is Lubuntu.
I have used Lubuntu over a year.
It is easy to use and I have not had any problem.
CHAOS-THEORY
The title is misleading, especially when looking at the pole
Well, Debian for sure, 9 Stretch
Marcuzzo
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
The title is misleading, especially when looking at the pole
Well, Debian for sure, 9 Stretch

yes, the title of the topic is wrong, the poll question should have been used for the topic
loveandormoney
Lubuntu sometimes had problems. We had better experiences with Xubuntu.
jestoy0514
For me I prefer XUbuntu but like other people are saying Linux Mint has gain the popularity over the years and with consistency. The minor problems I had with Ubuntu distro was solved when using Linux Mint like WiFi problem or even back light problem on my netbook.
deanhills
jestoy0514 wrote:
For me I prefer XUbuntu but like other people are saying Linux Mint has gain the popularity over the years and with consistency. The minor problems I had with Ubuntu distro was solved when using Linux Mint like WiFi problem or even back light problem on my netbook.
I thought Linux Mint ran into some security issues? I was going to try it out, and then thought maybe not.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

I'm looking at Zorin instead these days. Still have to find time first, but maybe during the summer I'd like to experiment with a Linux OS on a laptop of mine. As a replacement for Windows 10.
jestoy0514
deanhills wrote:
jestoy0514 wrote:
I thought Linux Mint ran into some security issues? I was going to try it out, and then thought maybe not.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

I'm looking at Zorin instead these days. Still have to find time first, but maybe during the summer I'd like to experiment with a Linux OS on a laptop of mine. As a replacement for Windows 10.

I believe they sort it out already as per the post from their blog. Maybe because they are so popular even compared to their parent Ubuntu that is why other people wants to hurt them. Anyway there is a lot of Linux distros out there for us to choose from. I am currently using Debian Jessie for a couple of months now. Zorin os is nice too a nice replacement for windows users.
Peterssidan
It's clear IceCreamTruck is a Ubuntu fan. Razz Personally I prefer Debian a bit more, mostly because I think they take the free software philosophy a bit more serious. I also like Arch Linux but it's a bit too unstable/cutting edge for my day to day life.

Many distributions let you choose which desktop environment you want to use so I don't them as completely different distributions. Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc. are still Ubuntu to me. I prefer GNOME 2, but unfortunately it's no longer maintained. I know MATE is a fork of GNOME 2 but I haven't tried it yet.
jestoy0514
Peterssidan wrote:
It's clear IceCreamTruck is a Ubuntu fan. Razz Personally I prefer Debian a bit more, mostly because I think they take the free software philosophy a bit more serious. I also like Arch Linux but it's a bit too unstable/cutting edge for my day to day life.

Many distributions let you choose which desktop environment you want to use so I don't them as completely different distributions. Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc. are still Ubuntu to me. I prefer GNOME 2, but unfortunately it's no longer maintained. I know MATE is a fork of GNOME 2 but I haven't tried it yet.

I am currently using mate desktop on my rasberry pi 2. It's nice it brings you back to the traditional desktop you once used before. Personally I like mate than unity. Xfce is nice too but I always caught on some mis configuration and it is very hard to keep stable than other desktop environment.
Strans
I have voted for Ubuntu Mate because I like its desktop and its graphical interface similar windows friendly Linux. I don't make things up but everybody is looking for "easy" ready distribution.