FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MariaDB

RosenCruz
Sounds like a good alternative to MySQL. Anyone has detailed information about it ? Many linux distros are now bundled with MariaDB, instead of MySQL

https://mariadb.com
Possum
Interesting
deanhills
First time I've heard of this database. Looks really interesting. I notice that the guys responsible for developing it are the original developers of mySQL.

https://mariadb.org/
SonLight
Mariadb is a fork of mysql. Since Oracle took over Mysql, there was concern that it would not remain open source. Apparently most of the original Mysql developers have now abandoned Mysql and contribute to Mariadb instead. The situation is somewhat similar to OpenOffice and LibreOffice, where it wasn't clear for a while which of the two forks would become the new standard.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
Mariadb is a fork of mysql. Since Oracle took over Mysql, there was concern that it would not remain open source. Apparently most of the original Mysql developers have now abandoned Mysql and contribute to Mariadb instead. The situation is somewhat similar to OpenOffice and LibreOffice, where it wasn't clear for a while which of the two forks would become the new standard.
Aha, interesting and makes great sense now. Wonder whether it will replace mySQL eventually? Glad we've got an alternative though. Would hate to have to pay for a mySQL license all of a sudden.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
Would hate to have to pay for a mySQL license all of a sudden.

Pay up, DeanHills! I'm charging you!

PS. I will have to look into MariaDB
jajarvin
SonLight wrote:
Mariadb is a fork of mysql.

At moment I will keep using MySq.
byhe
MySQL was bought by Sun Microsystems for one billion dollars. 2010 Sun was bought by Oracle for $ 8.5 billion.

The founders of MySQL started MariaDB so that the development of the free database does not halt.
SonLight
Interworx has an article from 2013 describing the situation and differences as of that time. They mention that Wikipedia had recently adopted MariaDB, and that MariaDB was beginning to have more features and better performance while remaining fully compatible with MySQL.

Quote:
MariaDB was intended as a drop-in, fully compatible replacement for MySQL, with each version of MariaDB implementing all of the features of its equivalent MySQL version. However, because patches and new features have been incorporated into MariaDB more quickly than MySQL, as things stand, MariaDB has made some significant performance and feature advances. In versions before the 10.x release, users could be certain that everything MySQL did, equivalent versions of MariaDB did too, but that reverse was not always true. In the future, MariaDB is likely to diverge more rapidly from MySQL.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
and that MariaDB was beginning to have more features and better performance while remaining fully compatible with MySQL.
That's good news! But almost to be predicted. The original developers forked it off after selling mySQL the reason being that they expected Oracle to charge license fees for it, and probably expecting that the quality won't be of the same standard either.