FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

do you surf with some kind of adblocking technology?

which ones?
AdBlock or AdBlock+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
(AdBlock or AdBlock+) and Filterset.G
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
RIP.mozdev.org
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
GreaseMonkey.mozdev.org
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Platypus.mozdev.org
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NoScript.net
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
proximodo or proxomitron or privoxy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
HOSTS file tweaking
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2 of the first eight
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3-4 of the first eight
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6-8 of the first eight
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
old fashioned popup blocker
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
something else, but not nothing
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

gonzo
Since so many people (3+) claimed to click banner ads I wondered how many /few people regularly surf with some kind of adblocking technology. I really don't like the ad "business" model. I do, however, use whitelisting to 'support' a few sites by allowing their respective ads to load all the while not seeing them. Wink Frihost is one such exception.

If for some reason you're still using internet explorer

http://STOPie.com

then you reallllllly should use some kind of adblocking to reduce the frequency of malware infection, but I digress. Share your adblocking technique....

I use Firefox + AdBlockPlus + Filterset.G + RIP + GreaseMonkey + NoScript
n0obie4life
gonzo, I only surf with the one bulit into Mozilla/IE (which just stops popups)

Nothing else.

Adblocks stop webmasters from gaining $$. Esp if their service is free, that's unfair to them.

Sure, tell me that there are adblockers that just "hides" the ads but ads are good sometimes too, they might give you something interesting, sometimes they are funny too (like now, that chitka ad beside when i'm posting is giving me a wrist exerciser which looks more like a honeypot with a ring in it Laughing).

So, think of popup/popunder ads as bad, not those which just show themselves on your broswer and aren't a nuisance.
gonzo
n0obie4life wrote:
if their service is free

Umm... so by free do you mean not-free? If so it must be really frustrating talking to you...

Laughing
n0obie4life
The ADs are their source of income when you come to their site.

But if there weren't ads, it'll not be free or the site wouldn't even exist..

So gonzo, if your still not satisfied with that and thinking your paying on frihost, you deserve to have your space limited to 0 megabytes and only 0 megabytes of bandwidth. Yeah, your stopping Bondings from earning money. He's paying for the server dude!

[edit] changed the numbers to zero. 2 and 10 are too kind, because, bondings is still paying.
gonzo
n0obie4life wrote:
The ADs are their source of income

Contract law is an entertaining subject.. maybe we should have a separate topic to explore it... Wink

Quote:
it'll not be free

I really enjoy the way some people use words.

[EXTREMELY long image removed Neutral]

Quote:
Yeah, your stopping Bondings from earning money. He's paying for the server dude!

Please don't start a flame war. This thread just seeks a sampling of adblocking technology and is not intended to be a debate of business models..

Cool
n0obie4life
Firstly, fine. I admit I didn't see that, I'm sorry.

And, I removed that huge question marks of yours and the extremely long image, it's just hogging space on the page.

Okay, let's stop this pointless thing, and let other people reply.
Bondings
n0obie4life wrote:
Sure, tell me that there are adblockers that just "hides" the ads but ads are good sometimes too, they might give you something interesting, sometimes they are funny too (like now, that chitka ad beside when i'm posting is giving me a wrist exerciser which looks more like a honeypot with a ring in it Laughing).

Oh, the powerball. I just got one a few weeks ago. It's really fantastic, in my opinion. I wouldn't call it a wrist exerciser though, rather a gadget. Wink It does exercise your wrist and other parts of your arm, though and some models have build-in dynamo which turns on leds. Nice to see in the dark.

@gonzo, I am radically against ad blockers (not popup blockers), and certainly don't want to see them promoted on this forum.

If everyone would start to use ad blockers, then a big part of the internet will just disappear. The problem is that it's very hard to impossible to check wether someone is blocking a banner. Some pages/websites have no other option to get money than advertisements. If you take away their revenue, they won't make websites anymore. Only wiki's and paid services will be left. The free internet will be gone. No more search engines, movie reviews, technical support sites, ... Even phpbb relies for a part on google ads.

And please don't tell me a google ad is annoying! If you compare them to many signatures on this forum, then I would rather prefer to see the ad then the signatures. Some of them are really ver annoying, big and useless.

Do you really want to pay a fee to read a newspaper article? I don't.

-locked-