FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Error when Mozilla is run

anmol
hi,
'm workin on windows xp sp1 whenever i run mozilla , i get an error
"unable to initialize memory stream".plz tel me wat it is n how to rectify it.
[/b]
n0obie4life
Yahoo is better than Google for me to help you with this.

But, I will need these

Are you using Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox? If either, which version? and is it WINXP pro or WINXP home?

and btw, I moved the topic, you posteed it in the wrong forum.
anmol
thx for movin it to appro place.
'm usin mozilla firefox version 1.0.0.0
n windows xp professional
n0obie4life
Press ctrl+alt+del, go to the task manager.

Check if you can find these two processes
  • mmsvc32.exe
  • spools.exe

If you are able to, then your computer has been infected by malware. The two processes are malware.

This link is a reference to Norton's website

Otherwise, you'll have to wait for someone else to solve it for you or maybe name the weird processes you may see.

Hope I could help you.

[edit] Task Manager might not be able to find it. You might have to use Process Explorer from sysinternals.com
anmol
ya both r thre as processes
mmsvc32.exe as system n
spoolsv.exe as admin
n0obie4life
Those are malware.

Google wrote:
(I) Hardware, software, or firmware that is intentionally included or inserted in a system for a harmful purpose. (See: logic bomb, Trojan horse, virus, worm.) [2]

You'll have to remove them. Either through an anti-virus program, or anti-spyware program (ad-aware..norton..)

That'll solve your problem Wink

http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.kassbot.b.html - Norton's Site, again. View it doh, might give you some info on how to remove it.
anmol
thx the norton link had al the required info to remove them
'm already usin microsoft anti spyware but it didnt help Sad
n0obie4life
Maybe use something else then, MSAS doesn't remove everything Laughing.

It's a "simple to remove" malware. Maybe try well, your anti-virus program instead of MSAS.

Hope you get it removed, once you get it removed, please post here. I'll lock the topic.
anmol
sure .. currently installin nortan .. wil post soon
Smile
dkbg
spoolsv.exe is not necessarily malware. It is a process used for printing operations, but there is also a trojan that uses that same process though, here's some more info
n0obie4life
dkbg wrote:
spoolsv.exe is not necessarily malware. It is a process used for printing operations, but there is also a trojan that uses that same process though, here's some more info

Well, it comes with that other process to cause the error. So if you find the other process, you'll find this process Razz
abhinav_shah
Anmol you can try these steps :
1. Go to Start --> Run
2. Type regedit in the Run window
3. Click on the OK button
4. The Registry Editor opens.
5. Click on the + sign on the left of My Computer

6. Navigate to the subkey
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion\Run
7. In the right window pane, delete the values mmsvc32.exe and spools.exe
8. Exit the Registry Editor.
9. Refresh and open Firefox browser. It opens Smile
Prabhu Raj
Hello ppl,
Spools.exe is a file used for printer spooling. if you remove that printing may not work properly. so find another way to clean the malware that uses the spools.exe.
abhinav_shah
Removing Spools.exe will not harm the functioning of the printer. Because spools.exe is not necessarilly a printer spooler.
And this is a malware that creates it's own spools.exe , so deleting it will not harm...
yjwong
Hmm...By the way, I think that your Firefox is way out of date...Download at least 1.0.7 or the BETA releases.
n0obie4life
yjwong wrote:
Hmm...By the way, I think that your Firefox is way out of date...Download at least 1.0.7 or the BETA releases.

He's using Mozilla Suite.

Don't assume Mozilla as Mozilla Firefox all the time.
abhinav_shah
yjwong wrote:

His problem has nothing to do with the version of Firefox. I think his computer is infected by spyware , because I had the same problem some time back...
Arin
n0obie4life wrote:
yjwong wrote:

He's using Mozilla Suite.

Don't assume Mozilla as Mozilla Firefox all the time.

he is using firefox Wink

anmol wrote:
thx for movin it to appro place.
'm usin mozilla firefox version 1.0.0.0
n windows xp professional

besides imho most important when using internet software is to be always up-to-date. that error can be just a well known firefox bug.

cheers,
Arin.
n0obie4life
Fine Rolling Eyes

Anyway, it's 100% malware. Not any bug with Mozilla/Mozilla Firefox/Mozilla n0obiefox.