FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

lost infomation on CD

standready
So I have a CD-R that I had been adding information to in a standard old CD Rom writer/player. Last time I added information, I did it on the DVD writer/player in my newer machine.
Now, all the jpeg files are not visible. PDF flies are fine.
How can I retrieve those missing files? Hopefully for free. Thanks in advance for help.
deanhills
standready wrote:
So I have a CD-R that I had been adding information to in a standard old CD Rom writer/player. Last time I added information, I did it on the DVD writer/player in my newer machine.
How can I retrieve those missing files? Hopefully for free. Thanks in advance for help.
I haven't tried it myself, but how about http://www.imgburn.com/?

Could be the imgburn software can help you read the jpeg files, and then resave them to a fresh DVD disk at a very low speed.
Marcuzzo
standready wrote:

CD-R is read-only ( Write once ) so it seems highly unlikely that you've been adding information to a CD-R.
CD-RW is the type of disk that can be used to write data to.

Data on a disk is, well, just data, if it's there it's there, if it's not there, I'm sorry but unless you've got a backup the data is lost.

also, which application did you use to burn the disk? the built in one of microsoft?

using a CD or DVD to store data is debatable topic, personally I'd choose for a flash (USB) drive or stick to store my data on and if you can spare 400 you could even buy a NAS to store your data on.

@Dean, IMGBurn is a good tool but I don't think that it will make much of a difference. IMGBurn could read the data on the disk and create an ISO file with the contents but I'm affraid that the data on the ISO file will be the same as on the DVD.

@Standready, I'm serious, definitely get some USB storage, a 32GB thumbdrive is pretty cheap and can store a heck of a lot ( aprox 6 times ) more data then a DVD ( 4,7 GB) can and they are pretty cheap too.
- it saves you the time of burning the disk, just drag and drop
- it's pocket sized... so you could carry it around in your pocket.
- you can encrypt the data ( bitlocker, truecrypt ) so incase you lose it, nobody can invade your privacy ( as easily as oposed to not having the drive encrypted )
- Newer TV's will sport a USB port, so you could plug the drive in and view the pictures directly on the TV instead of loading the CD in a dvd player

cheers,
Marco
Josso
In the past I've created an ISO file, which is easier to mess with cos you don't hit bad sector loops all the time.. then winrar will actually read ISO format, I just selected "keep bad files" or whatever it's called
standready
Marcuzzo wrote:

using a CD or DVD to store data is debatable topic, personally I'd choose for a flash (USB) drive or stick to store my data on

I started putting information on this CD back in 2002 (long before good USB flash drives) adding files each year since. It has worked well until last year when I did NOT my old Backpack CR writer to add latest files.
Funny how PDF files are viewable but jpegs disappeared from sight. I know there are retrieve programs out there.
servertest
standready wrote:
I know there are retrieve programs out there.
I'm sure there must be. I did a quick search and found this suggestion:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html
standready
servertest wrote:
standready wrote:
I know there are retrieve programs out there.
I'm sure there must be. I did a quick search and found this suggestion:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html

Thanks but program did not show missing files unless I missed a function.
standready
Happy, happy!
I found a program that worked fantastic - MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition V7.0
I now have all my files (2000+ / 13 years of information) transferred to USB flash drive!

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Peterssidan
Have you checked to see if the files are corrupted in any way? If you are lucky it was only the filesystem that was broken and not the actual files.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Happy, happy!
I found a program that worked fantastic - MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition V7.0
I now have all my files (2000+ / 13 years of information) transferred to USB flash drive!

That's awesome news Stand. If ever this happens to me I'll try to remember this thread.

Cool
Marcuzzo
standready wrote:
Happy, happy!

I'm happy that you've managed to recover your files, as Peterssidan mentioned, you might want to check your files for corruption. I've had pictures showing up entirely black after being stored on a data carrier for an extended amount of time.

at the moment I've got my network storage running in RAID so incase one of the drives should fail the other one should still have all the data. this should cover most of the internal damage, external damage ( like a fire ) or a burglar steeling my little server will be a disaster.
I've been trying to persuade my father to buy a NAS for a while now and then I could sync my data to his NAS over the network Very Happy he's not quite there yet
standready
Marcuzzo wrote:
you might want to check your files for corruption. I've had pictures showing up entirely black after being stored on a data carrier for an extended amount of time.

The files I have opened so far have been fine. Still have many to open.
zarawatsonn
To retrieve the lost data, you just make a clone copy of you CD from a DVD drive and open it in the same system and copy all of your content in hard drive for further access.