FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Suggestion to start learning electronics

arfaiz
Hello, good day to you all.
Recently, I am interested in electronics devices and would like to learn more about it. Do you have any suggestion about where I have to start? Should I jump right into the real hardware or study through literature and simulations first?
jajarvin
arfaiz wrote:
Should I jump right into the real hardware or study through literature and simulations first?

Yes and no.
Let us start of the defineision Electronics:
Quote:
Electronics is the science of how to control electric energy, energy in which the electrons have a fundamental role.
Electronics deals with electrical circuits that involve active electrical components such as
vacuum tubes, transistors, diodes and integrated circuits, and associated passive electrical components and interconnection technologies.
Commonly, electronic devices contain circuitry consisting primarily or exclusively of active semiconductors supplemented with passive elements;
such a circuit is described as an electronic circuit.

It would take a very long time to learn all this.

On the another hand you you can drive into the functions of the electronics devices
you are interested and in this way little by little learn electronics.

In any case good luck to you.
LxGoodies
First thing you will want is a soldering iron and solder. Then a power supply with a regulator 5-30V. You will also need: lots of wire, electronic components like IC's, capacitors and resistors, printed circuit base material, a 1 mm bore, black watertight marker, and Cu2O3 or nitrious acid solution, to make the printed circuit when it is drawn on the copper. Use the bore to punch holes in it an solder your components on it.

Instead of making a printed circuit, you could buy a breadboard mount. On a breadboard, you can wire electronic components instead of soldering them.

Now.. decide what to build, (start simple)

http://www.electroschematics.com/hobby/

Modern electronics hobbyists often use Arduino and the Arduino breadboard,

http://www.amazon.com/16Hertz-Electronics-Breadboard-Resistors-Raspberry/dp/B00J4RN61A
Insanity
I think taking things apart and putting them back together again is a good way to learn about how electronics work, and how you can start to rebuild things from scratch. Figuring out why things are broken and putting them back together again is also a good way to learn about electronics. Finally, just messing around with the different settings, options, and buttons is a good way to familiarize yourself with the electronic and how it works in different settings.
scotts96
Definitely start with the hardware and maybe some basic book-learning
william
The book I always recommend for people just getting started is Make: Electronics: Learning by Discovery. The first chapter involves licking the terminals of a 9 volt battery, then it takes you through projects like a reaction timer, motor controls, and even microcontroller programming. It's basically a collection of experiments for you to try out and play around with, learning along the way. It's full of photos and illustrations, so you're never lost, and it contains basic theory and history as well. Once you're done with that, there's another book in the series called Make: More Electronics (don't have it, but have heard good things about it) and Make also has a ton of other similar books that teaches you things like Arduinos and other microcontrollers, robots, and FPGAs. I highly recommend checking them out.

When I started out with electronics, I just played around with components and learned by experimenting. On the side, I had a copy of the second edition of The Art of Electronics, which is basically the classic circuits book for electrical engineers. If you make it through the Make books mentioned earlier and want to learn a whole lot more, I highly recommend that you get a copy of this. You can certainly start with this, but I do feel the Make books introduce electronics in a friendlier way. The other issue is that you're going to end up spending a few hundred dollars if you attempt everything in The Art of Electronics. I had access to a lab, so I didn't have to worry about it.