FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless Link Problem

toshlad
I live in rural Ireland where broadband internet is as far off as men going to Mars right now.

However, I have direct line of sight to a town that currently is serviced by a wireless ISP.

Can anyone tell me the longest distance they've known a commercial WiFi link to be made?

I have commonly heard of 10 miles being acheived and have even known 15 miles at a push but this town is around 17 miles in a straight line from my house. I can actually see the tower that the ISP uses for broadcasting their signal.

Maybe you could suggest a good antenna to use this signal?

Many thanks.
ocalhoun
You might somehow accomplish it with a super-powerfull, amplified, focoused antenna.
You might also spend a lot of time or money that way.

I'd suggest satelite. (or dare I say dial-up)
gonzo
toshlad wrote:
WiFi link

slotted waveguide
-TomJ-
Maybe it is not as coincidental as it would appear (in that case, the people who have created the thing that scans postings and finds related adds with them, have done a grand job), but underneth your thread I found these adds:

Suggesting an additional extension cord would not be appropriate, I guess? Eventually it would be eaten by your local sheep, wouldn't it ...
grantmaster
There is a new wireless protocol callled (appropriately) WI-MAX.

Line of sight range is something like 32 miles but of course you would lose a lot of speed at that range. The protocol currently only supports line-of-sight connections but will soon be developed into broadcast connections.

I think one company that already offers products is PROXIM

also the bandwidth is pretty high... and the receivers are fairly inexpensive, like $300 US?
grantmaster
anyway just did a search and came up with this...

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/start.html?pg=7