FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

After a long time, I'm beginning in the Linux world

Da Rossa
I've taken this beginning of the year 'holidays' (actually I'm well unemployed) to learn about the Linux operating system. I learnt the "VirtualBox way", so I installed a bunch of different distros to test one by one. The experience is being pleasant, although I still can't switch because Windows is the only platform that has a program I depend on: AutoHotKey. There is no close thing to it in the Unix world.

I even managed to build a CentOS minimal virtual machine, and learnt the step-by-step to make it usable for the purpose it was conceived: be a server machine. (There is no desktop environment in there). I'm also getting acquainted with Vi.

The idea is to learn and eventually build a home server for files, storage, streaming and, why not, development (I am a Frihost user, remember?)

My favourite distros so far are Ubuntu, Lubuntu and CentOS for the bare essentials use.
So, the question to begin with is: can a single machine running on an older PC be used for all the purposes listed above?

Thanks
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
My favourite distros so far are Ubuntu, Lubuntu and CentOS for the bare essentials use.
So, the question to begin with is: can a single machine running on an older PC be used for all the purposes listed above?

Thanks
Probably yes, depending on the specifications of the old PC. However, I'd far rather get a VPS with a dedicated static IP and use that for serious development than a home computer. Home computer is probably good for small projects, like trying out scripts or new software. For that purpose however I'm completely OK with XAMPPlite. It installs everything for a person.

For file storage I recently discovered https://mega.nz/#. One can get secure encrypted storage space of 50GB free.

I've played with Virtual Box myself, however haven't got to installing Linux in a partition yet. I have tried Centos on a VPS a year ago. Enjoyed the experience. Probably need to experiment with different distributions as well, but Centos seems to be good for Web builders and that's where my interest lies.
Da Rossa
CentOS appears to be a solid distro, and a solid operating system.

I'm aware of mega.nz, but I'm talking about a "home", physical storage. I already have an account in there but only free. Some things are quite strange in mega; the sync app sometimes goes funky. And I'm not currently in conditions to get a premium account, this is not what a Brazilian can afford these days (crisis here, unemployment and the bill is in Euros).

I've never ventured into the VPS world in my life. All I know is that's a service for preventing people from prying on one's data. Is that right?
playfungames
Wow, sounds like a good plan. All the best my fellow frihoster. I too want to learn linux and wanted to learn it since a long time. I think I have downloaded and use the basic of all the popular distros. But I kind of went towards another path--the web and content developer path. But I see that you are quite interested in it and I'm hoping that you make a career out of it.
Da Rossa
Career? No thanks Razz , I'm a lawyer, a tech-savvy one, but a lawyer. I've worked in an IT company before, and I know how the life of an IT professional is like: everything I already suspected, slavery.

I like to discover new solutions but just for me Smile
SonLight
You might be interested in the Cygwin environment. It's probably not the best for running standard user applications, but it gives you a true *nix command line under windows, plus reasonable integration into the desktop. My guess is it would be less resource-intensive than a virtual machine.

Mingw builds *nix apps which run directly under the standard Windows environment. If you share a Mingw app, any Windows user can supposedly run it. If you try to share a Cygwin app, Cygwin would need to be installed on the target machine.

Either one of these would be a detour from learning how native *nix apps work on native *nix systems. Since you are experimenting though, you may or may not want to explore one of them, probably Cygwin preferred unless you seriously want to develop apps which run on standard Windows systems.

Disclaimer: I probably haven't used either of these since Windows 7 came out, so ymmv.
Da Rossa
Thanks for the tip SonLight! I'm delving "deep" into the Linux distros and desktop environments I find in front of me, and right now I'm tied between Ubuntu and Mint, and between unity, MATE and LXDE desktop environments. As for the server, I'm still undecided about a minimal CentOS or Ubuntu Server.

All of this doesn't exclude me taking a look into Cygwin. I've downloaded already, let me try.
afsoeiro
As far as cross development comes, I like best the QT Creator IDE. But then, I am not a professional developer in any level, just like to play with development. Been that way for around 32 years now.

Anyway, my home computer has Kubuntu Linux, that is good enough for me. In my job, the company I work for has Windows 7 machines. At home and in the company, I have QT Creator IDE installed, and the sources can be brought and taken home, and the same files edited, compiled, and run. I love it.
Da Rossa
asfoeiro, I'm not a developer, and one of the frustrations I've already come across is the fact that, despite being open source and, on theory, fully customisable, Linux is not that flexible in practice. There are a number of necessary Windows-only apps, and the most preeminent is AutoHotKey, a scripting and automation tool, followed by xplorer˛, a very powerful file manager. None of the available file managers I've seen in every Linux distro I tested can begin to compare to xplorer˛, which indeed brings me a lot of productivity and time saving.

So I wondered about... developing myself... only I can't do it. Sad

I thought someone would already have developed at least a AutoHotKey similar to Linux by now, but nothing came close to it. Thanks to these two programs, I'm sticking in Windows.
loveandormoney
Da Rossa wrote:
I've taken this beginning of the year 'holidays' (actually I'm well unemployed) to learn about the Linux operating system. I learnt the "VirtualBox way", so I installed a bunch of different distros to test one by one. The experience is being pleasant, although I still can't switch because Windows is the only platform that has a program I depend on: AutoHotKey. There is no close thing to it in the Unix world.

I even managed to build a CentOS minimal virtual machine, and learnt the step-by-step to make it usable for the purpose it was conceived: be a server machine. (There is no desktop environment in there). I'm also getting acquainted with Vi.

The idea is to learn and eventually build a home server for files, storage, streaming and, why not, development (I am a Frihost user, remember?)

Thanks

Can You help top installt a or the Virtual Box.
How much does it cost the CPU?

Regards
Da Rossa
Quote:

Can You help top installt a or the Virtual Box.
How much does it cost the CPU?

I only undersdtood your second question, so here it goes: not much, as long as you don't power up several virtual machines at once. My (host's) setup:
Processor: Intel Core i5 3450 @3.1GHz
MoBo: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H
Memory: 8192MB DDR3 Corsair 1333MHz
VGA: Saphire ATI Radeon HD 7770 1024MB 128 bits @1920x1080
Hard Drive #1: Western Digital WD5000AAKX-003CA0 465GB 7200RPM in Raid 0 with
Hard Drive #2: Seagate ST3500413AS 465 GB 7200RPM
Hard Drive #3: Samsung SP11614C ATA 160GB 8MB 7200RPM
Hard Drive #4: Western Digital WD20EARX 1863GB IntelliPower
Power Supply: Corsair VX450
Monitor: Samsung T270B350 @1920x1080

So I can use normally a virtualized Ubuntu or CentOS. Maybe 40% of CPU usage on average, but I don't feel hogging.
loveandormoney
I am sorry.

I try to ask a litte bit better.

Nest thing is using firefox in a Virtual Box. Same Linux or Win.

The question is:
Does a virtual Box and then I ll start firefox makes the comuter very slow
in comparison
I only open a terminal and say: Firefox.

Regards
Da Rossa
You didn't make any sense.
SonLight
loveandormoney wrote:

using firefox in a Virtual Box. Same Linux or Win.

The question is:
Does a virtual Box and then I ll start firefox makes the comuter very slow
in comparison
I only open a terminal and say: Firefox.

You apparently wonder if the Firefox web browser will run slower in a virtual machine than it would if run directly, non-vitalization. A virtual machine will add some overhead, but normally it will not be noticeable. For example, loading a web page typically takes from .1 seconds to 1 second. The extra overhead should be much less than that, so you shouldn't need to worry about it.

If you have a particular machine, and a particular virtual configuration in mind, you might mention it and someone might be able to tell you if it works well. Probably you can just try it and see for yourself; it is not likely to be a problem in most cases.
Marcuzzo
Da rossa, mint is Ubuntu based and Ubuntu is Debian based. Why don't you give Debian a shot? It's my favorite distro. Get the netinst.iso, it's only 200mb or so and if you install it with the standard tools only you've got a minimal installation and you can install the needed components like ssh and ftp ( proftpd) afterwards. It also included nano, I know most hard core tux guys will stick to vi but when you are ssh'ed into the device it can get messy, I prefer nano over vi in this situation.
I'm running windows 8.1 on my laptop and I've got git for windows (git scm) installed with bash and it supports ssh. This way I can ssh into my Debian server running in hyper v.

Here's another gem... Hyperv server is free Wink so you could install the server on your device and then create multiple servers
loveandormoney
The advantage of a virtual machine is
You can delete dirt very easy.
Or is this wrong?