FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

An almost absolutely basic operating system for writing

Da Rossa
I need a very basic, desktop environment-free operating system to suit a single purpose: writing hastly. I thought of a 'Minimal' CentOS version, all-text based, but actually that is a modern and solid operating system which is likely to use a lot of resources. What I need, exactly, is:

* Boot almost instantly
* No desktop environment
* Ability to be installed and used in a over-10-year-old machine, including portables
* A text-based writing app like Nano or Vi, only with one difference: that it can save automatically so I can type worry-free
* If possible, to autoload the text editor upon startup
* No need for anything beyond the OS's core funcionalities
* Networking to allow the typed documents to be exported

Any thoughts?
badai
i don't think minimal installation of centos will take much resources. give it a try. 10 years old hardware is not that old. one of us here is using 20 years old machine.

but i doubt any text editor will have the auto save function.

i think vi got some auto save features because if you crash it it will ask to delete some temp file.
Da Rossa
Still, even on a 2012 machine (virtualized, but way better than a 10 year old), CentOS mínimal takes a while to load, I don't know why. Until 2008 there was the DSL (damn small linux), but it has a GUI, and I'm still a noobie at Linux, so I don't know how to disable the desktop environment.

As for the autosave function, yes, I think this won't be possible..
Marcuzzo
Da Rossa wrote:

* Boot almost instantly
* No desktop environment
* Ability to be installed and used in a over-10-year-old machine, including portables
* A text-based writing app like Nano or Vi, only with one difference: that it can save automatically so I can type worry-free
* If possible, to autoload the text editor upon startup
* No need for anything beyond the OS's core funcionalities
* Networking to allow the typed documents to be exported

Any thoughts?

I'd suggest a minimal debian installation. drop the encryption for more performance and make sure to only select the "standard system" in the software selection screen.

this way you've got a rather fast booting console only installation. nano and vi are installed and if not you can still install it via apt
Da Rossa
Thanks for the input, Marcuzzo, but as I stated here, I've been trying a lot of distros and desktop environments to see which one fits well to me. One I couldn't handle is Debian itself, because the download page is rather cryptic compared to the others: it offers a 3-DVD package which I don't know where to start. I also didn't find other 'reduced' versions. Is it normal to have a ~13Gb distro?

Other problem is that neither Vi nor Nano support autosave. Do you know a similar, text-only application that has?[/url]
Marcuzzo
Da Rossa wrote:
Thanks for the input, Marcuzzo, but as I stated here, I've been trying a lot of distros and desktop environments to see which one fits well to me. One I couldn't handle is Debian itself, because the download page is rather cryptic compared to the others: it offers a 3-DVD package which I don't know where to start. I also didn't find other 'reduced' versions. Is it normal to have a ~13Gb distro?

Other problem is that neither Vi nor Nano support autosave. Do you know a similar, text-only application that has?

Hi Da Rossa,
if you are downloading the entire cd/dvd set, yeah, it get's kind of messy.
why I usually do is use jigdo for the download ( only when I need to install a system that doesn't have internet )

but if the machine has a working network connection, use the netinstall: amd64 or i386
these will only include the installer and the files you need are downloaded during installation. this way you can install a minimal system.
Marcuzzo
Da Rossa wrote:

Other problem is that neither Vi nor Nano support autosave. Do you know a similar, text-only application that has?

Hi Da Rossa,
if you are downloading the entire cd/dvd set, yeah, it get's kind of messy.
why I usually do is use jigdo for the download ( only when I need to install a system that doesn't have internet )

but if the machine has a working network connection, use the netinstall: amd64 or i386
these will only include the installer and the files you need are downloaded during installation. this way you can install a minimal system.
Da Rossa
I'll give it a try on my hypervisor (VirtualBox) Smile