FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tried to Install Windows 10 but ended up with Linux

Possum
I formatted my drive ready to install Windows 10 but then realised I needed to install my bought and paid for Windows 7. So I started to install Windows 7 which needed to see XP.

I needed the computer so I installed Ubuntu until I found my copy of XP. That was 7 months ago.

I cant see me ever going back to Windows now. Has this ever happened to you. ?
akmsamir
I am actually planning to move to linux distros as of right now as we speak and already decided for Ubuntu and later try out the SteamOS.
The only thing holding me back was gaming environments, and comon gaming industries are actually looking out for linux lovers as well.
And the best part is to be the part of an open source community.
Marcuzzo
@possum: LOL, you switch from one personal data sniffer to another Laughing
deanhills
Possum wrote:
I'm wishing for that to happen as I can't see myself ever installing Windows 10. I'm just too much spy averse, and have heard too many complaints about that as well as the updates that can't be put on a proper schedule. The updates seem to be flying in at any time of the day and can mess up what one is doing.

I've been eyeing Linux Mint. A bit of a compromise by the looks of it. But I'm going to try it in VirtualBox first before I commit big time.
Da Rossa
Quote:

No. I'm a Windows 10 user, and I'm trying a lot of different Linux distros. The biggest problem is not having AutoHotKey or xplorer˛, anything similar. If I ask around, people in the Linux community will ask "but it is not necessary!" It is. The Linux file managers are far underpowered compared to xplorer˛.
Marcuzzo
I'm running 8.1 on my worklap top and on it I'm running 2VM's: windows 10 and a basic debian server.

windows 10 does have it's privacy issues but nonetheless:
- all websites use trackers: google adds/statistics and what not
- facebook collects personal information
- android phones... you contact information is in the cloud ( read at google's disposal )

privacy is something that we are slowly giving away and there isn't a lot we can do about it if we keep using the same tools.

Debian is my favorite linux distro because it's stable and wel tested. also it doesn't include any crapware and is not backed and built by a company like canonical.

if I ever have the time ( probably not ) I will try to build my own distro using the LFS book.
Da Rossa
What's the problem about Canonical? Amazon controversies?
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
I'm running 8.1 on my worklap top and on it I'm running 2VM's: windows 10 and a basic debian server.

windows 10 does have it's privacy issues but nonetheless:
- all websites use trackers: google adds/statistics and what not
- facebook collects personal information
- android phones... you contact information is in the cloud ( read at google's disposal )

privacy is something that we are slowly giving away and there isn't a lot we can do about it if we keep using the same tools.

Debian is my favorite linux distro because it's stable and wel tested. also it doesn't include any crapware and is not backed and built by a company like canonical.

if I ever have the time ( probably not ) I will try to build my own distro using the LFS book.
Great post thanks Marcuzzo! Cool

Particularly your suggestion for Debian. I've got as far as creating a Virtualbox on my new "cheap" Lenovo i7 laptop with Windows 8.1 64-bit. Then took a really BIG pause for wondering what the right Linux distribution should be for starting with. I did "play" with Centos on a VPS last year but that was for the purpose of building a Website. I want to try a Linux distribution with the view of experimenting with a Windows alternative. And heard good things about Debian. So will check it out.

If I may ask, what is Linux Mint like in comparison with Debian?