FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

using gravity to provide light

standready
very interesting way to provide light.
http://gravitylight.org/
I can see using on a camping trip.
fuzzkaizer
thought about that also some times... works like big old clocks did -
basically a very big part of all the tools and machines that consume electricity could as well be powerd by machines that work like mechanical clockworks that have to be wound up, using springs, flywheels, speed transformations etc.
that opens up a vast area of application...
deanhills
standready wrote:
very interesting way to provide light.
http://gravitylight.org/
I can see using on a camping trip.
Looks like magic! Wonder whether they could use the same principle to create energy.
lightwate
Cool concept!

That reminds me of this project called Salt that uses salt water to provide light. I think it does this by reacting with aluminum to produce electricity.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Looks like magic! Wonder whether they could use the same principle to create energy.

That is exactly what this device is doing, Dean, making electrical energy to drive a light source.
Ankhanu
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

That is exactly what this device is doing, Dean, making electrical energy to drive a light source.

Destin at Smarter Every Day did a video about this earlier this week. It's pretty interesting how the creators engineered the device to regulate power generation and consumption... who knew you could use LEDs as mechanical brakes Razz

arfaiz
Wow. I thought technology is all about electronics.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Destin at Smarter Every Day did a video about this earlier this week. It's pretty interesting how the creators engineered the device to regulate power generation and consumption... who knew you could use LEDs as mechanical brakes Razz

Wow, that was a great video. Particularly impressed with the Amazon. Didn't realize it was that dark inside the forest. Makes sense now of course, but can't imagine myself in there without lots of light.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Particularly impressed with the Amazon. Didn't realize it was that dark inside the forest. Makes sense now of course, but can't imagine myself in there without lots of light.

Yeah Very Happy It's pretty dark in there in the day time, even. There's a lot of material breaking the light from reaching the ground... it's a pretty harsh living environment for plants.

arfaiz wrote:
Wow. I thought technology is all about electronics.

Nope. Something as simple as a lever is technology... technology is really any kind of tool. Hell, a rock could be technology if it's used for something.
Insanity
That is actually impressive. I'm always amazed by the new things that people can come up with these days. When you think of teh technology that has been invented throughout the years, it's crazy because of how much has been done. I always wonder what drove this person to think of gravity and light interacting like that.
CHAOS-THEORY
This gives inspiration, it also needs electronics, electronics are the way to more power actually, as you can see here it's almost all mechanics, but with electronics it can be improved.
standready
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
This gives inspiration, it also needs electronics, electronics are the way to more power actually, as you can see here it's almost all mechanics, but with electronics it can be improved.

How? Where are those electronics going to get power? If you have an idea to improve the product, why not contact the company?
BigGeek
reminds me of the shake light flashlight - It was an LED light with a Magnet and coil connected to a capacitor, you shake the flashlight to make the magnet slide up and down past the coil creating electricity to charge the capacitor and then the capacitor would power the led light, when the light started to go dim - shake it again, no batteries needed. I bought one for camping years ago and it is a great camping flashlight, Fairly bright and you never have to worry about batteries going dead.
http://www.shake-flashlights.com/

Love the gravity light looks like the same thing, motion to create electricity, no batteries needed.

The film about Kerosene is so true, I use a kerosene heater to heat my garage in the winter when I work on cars. 1) it is incredibly expensive, cost me like $45 for a 5 gallon can of the stuff. 2) The fumes are awful, gives me a headache to work in the garage for more than an hour at a time.

This year I bought a propane heater, fumes aren't as bad, but it is still expensive, and a cylinder of propane doesn't last near as long as the 5 gallon can of kerosene.
standready
BigGeek, I still have one of those shake-flashlights. Does not work anymore for some reason.