FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HOW TO install/uninstall .deb files on Ubuntu!

mtemizel
To install .deb file.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i package_file.deb

To uninstall .deb file.

Code:
sudo dpkg -r package_name

And converting RPMs to DEB

Code:
fakeroot alien package_file.rpm

You must install alien and fakeroot to use this command.

Installing alien
Code:
sudo apt-get install fakeroot alien
ruff_ryder
Kudos on your post, but I found Ubuntu somewhat reserved. If you're a beginner in the Linux world, it's great, but if you're a bit experienced, use another distro. Just my 2 cents Smile
simplyw00x
mtemizel wrote:
To install .deb file.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i package_file.deb

To uninstall .deb file.

Code:
sudo dpkg -r package_name

And converting RPMs to DEB

Code:
fakeroot alien package_file.rpm

You must install alien and fakeroot to use this command.

Installing alien
Code:
sudo apt-get install fakeroot alien

Nice howto, but it's somewhat useless, given that those commands are plastered all over the official Wiki, Forums and Unofficial Ubuntu HOWTO. Also, all of about 4 people on this forum use linux.

Quote:
Kudos on your post, but I found Ubuntu somewhat reserved. If you're a beginner in the Linux world, it's great, but if you're a bit experienced, use another distro. Just my 2 cents Smile

It's a whole lot 1337er than, say, SuSE. It's not really restricted at all; there are no packaged 'retard tools' and it offers a lot of power to the user. Care to expand onb your point?
Naif
ruff_ryder wrote:

What made you say that? The distro is based on Debian
boringest
teach us something more useful like setting up your home computer to be a webserver using dynamic DNS or something like that.
ruff_ryder
Well, given the fact that I began my Linux voyage a few years back with Slackware, I tend to lean towards distros that give you all the tools, all the possibilities, all options. Ubuntu being a small distro, only 1 cd, compared to say SuSE or Debian which are both 1 dvd or more, I'll cast my vote for the 2 any day. I'm not saying Ubuntu is junk, I'm just commenting with an opinion.
wrightbros
thanks;
i've run into this prob before on ubuntu and was real pain in the ass. much thanks