FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

new toy - drone

standready
I had been thinking about getting a Radio Controlled Helicopter for a while. Most I looked at were for indoor use only.
Last week, going through store sales ads, I found a drone with video/still camera. I became interested! I did research into various drones and decided that one I seen in the sales ad would be a good and inexpensive introduction to flight.

After sale price, discount and coupon, I only spent $35 USD. Not the easiest thing to control. Dang thing is durable as I crashed into walls and other objects inside my house.
Yesterday, was finally a reasonable weather day to try it outdoors. Of course. I got it stuck high up in a tree on first flight! The construction crew that is working in my neighborhood had a good laugh as did I.
They got the drone out of the tree for me. (I am still laughing)

Anyone else use RC aircraft?
SpaceInvader75
I'm about to go to bed but I'll take a picture later. My brother game me a little helicopter. It's too small to fly outside. In fact, you have to turn off fans and AC can make it crash. But I really enjoy the little helicopter. I don't think it's very good quality although it survived a lot of wrecks. I seem to have a harder time controlling it after a while, so I think it may need a replacement on the rear rotor motor, and it might not be worth doing that on a cheap one. I also don't like the fact that the battery doesn't last very long.

When I post my pictures of this one I'll look for an outdoor helicopter I found that wasn't very expensive and has removal batteries, so you can buy extra ones and aren't limited to just a few minutes.
standready
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
I also don't like the fact that the battery doesn't last very long.

Agree. The drone only has about 5-6 minutes of flying time on the 500mA Li battery. Will look into a larger capacity battery and perhaps multiple batteries to have on hand.
Not going to jump into batteries until I get 'control' of drone.
tonberry
While I was sitting with a friend on an abandoned football stadium once, a drone suddenly came by. It turned out one guy was trying to impress groups of people scattered around the stadium by steering his drone towards those groups on a regular basis. Soon, he got carried away as he steered his drone so far away from where he was standing that not even an eagle would spot it. And then he crashed it into a tree. Everyone bursted out laughing Smile
playfungames
I have never used a RC aircraft or toy or drone or anything of that sort. I am quite interested in those. I am fascinated by the videos and the images that cameras mounted on those drones are capable of taking. I mean, they take really good shots from an angle which was not possible for the most of us.

But I have checked out some flying RC toys and drones and read about them on the internet, about their specs. Is it true that they don't fly for that long. I mean, their batteries don't last that long as they consume a lot of power in flight. I heard that they can fly for around 15 minutes or so and you have to take them back to charging.

How long does your drone fly before it runs out of batteries?
standready
playfungames wrote:
I heard that they can fly for around 15 minutes or so and you have to take them back to charging.

How long does your drone fly before it runs out of batteries?

My drone only flies for 5-6 minutes on the 500mAh battery. Planing on purchasing multiple higher output (720mAh) batteries once I get better control.

A word of caution: Camera's quality vary. Have not tried mine yet.
deanhills
standready wrote:
I got it stuck high up in a tree on first flight!
Was it taking photos while it was stuck in the tree, or haven't you tried the video/photo option yet? Very Happy
standready
deanhills wrote:
Was it taking photos while it was stuck in the tree, or haven't you tried the video/photo option yet? Very Happy

I have not tried the video/photo yet. Funny thing, when I open the brand new box, the micro SD card and reader were missing. Called the company and they sent quickly them out. Might try video today.

I am getting better at flying the drone. Learning how the controls works. Wind sure plays heck.
deanhills
standready wrote:

I am getting better at flying the drone. Learning how the controls works. Wind sure plays heck.
Sounds like great fun. Have a feeling that as soon as you have the hang of it you'll be upgrading for longer distances.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Sounds like great fun. Have a feeling that as soon as you have the hang of it you'll be upgrading for longer distances.

It is FUN! Tested the video yesterday afternoon. Not bad at all considering the price I paid. Does not need microphone however because all you hear are the motors.
Won't be upgrading anytime soon, Dean. Given my space around me, don't need any more distance. Range for control is listed as 200 feet. That is plenty.
LxGoodies
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:

seen this ? happened in a Dutch ZOO Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDbyl_Q5-oE

oerhans
LxGoodies wrote:
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDbyl_Q5-oE

Yeah, I've been there.
standready
LxGoodies wrote:

That is good! Really liked when the bees attacked the drone.
deanhills
Haha! That's priceless LxGoodies. One way to protect their privacy. Now if we could do the same thing that would be pretty awesome. Very Happy

Just came across this device. Looks as though it's being used by law enforcement, but I'm sure someone could design something similar for home use to keep drones out of private home air space.

standready
US government has decided that all drones weighing over .55 pounds must be registered and operator must carry a certificate when operating. https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
This includes children's toys!

@Dean - I am a bit concerned by that device it claims to knock out GPS system.
deanhills
standready wrote:
@Dean - I am a bit concerned by that device it claims to knock out GPS system.
Agreed it looks pretty formidable - probably something out of our league.
standready
I registered my drone on Thursday with the FAA as now required by law. Was easy. Since the weather as been unseasonably nice, I have had fun outside with the drone. Still not close to being a good pilot. Ordered five (higher output/longer flight time) additional batteries with charger yesterday thinking that with so many drones being given as gifts, battery demand and therefore prices would rise.
deanhills
standready wrote:
with so many drones being given as gifts, battery demand and therefore prices would rise.
Sounds like a great plan! Guess one of these days the drone will be able to take some photographs?
standready
deanhills wrote:
Sounds like a great plan! Guess one of these days the drone will be able to take some photographs?

I have taken video and stills with the drone just nothing worth posting.
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Guess one of these days they'll make those drones as small as a fly. If they haven't done that already. A flying "bug". Razz
standready
deanhills wrote:
]Guess one of these days they'll make those drones as small as a fly. If they haven't done that already. A flying "bug". Razz

They do make drone that fit in the palm of your hand.
LxGoodies
Dean wrote:
bug

Yep found one, this is a commercial drone that requires a 3D-printer to print the "skin".. you can choose various animals (wasp, dragon, eagle etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt0WSi56-UQ

there's more fun in that video, I show a snapshot when the bug drone appeared

Imagine 200.000 of them. On 100m distance, it looks like a true swarm.

Of course you'll need a camera on it and some euuhm.. programming to avoid collision. You can't drive a drone bug in a swarm from the ground, with joystick controls.

Some of the gadgets here show self-flying drones (or self-landing drones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3eislkgkQ

dream stuff..
standready
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Took some video with the drone yesterday as we had a fair day. I am impressed with the 'flip' mode on the drone. Looking for a place to host video attempts. Maybe my account here would work so I have control and can take down.
deanhills
Here's a nano hummingbird drone at your service! Razz

standready
deanhills wrote:

As you heard in the video - US government funded and not used. A cute and impractical waste of taxpayer's money given all the other choices available.
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

As you heard in the video - US government funded and not used. A cute and impractical waste of taxpayer's money given all the other choices available.
I disagree. It's not so much about the humming bird. It's about the technology that may ultimately be used for a different project.

The scientist had a theory and proved it was doable. So now it can become a building block for maybe a bigger or different project.
standready
deanhills wrote:
It's about the technology that may ultimately be used for a different project.

I agree about the technology but do not feel that the government should have funded.
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
It's about the technology that may ultimately be used for a different project.

I agree about the technology but do not feel that the government should have funded.
Could be this provided a few scientists/engineers with worthwhile employment for a while. I'm all for Government funding to keep scientists and engineers employed with meaningful projects.
standready
Government research grants are a joke. Most of the money doled out is either a kickback to a 'friend' or used to get more grants. End of project reports of most 'study' grants read "We made a little progress but we need more money to continue our research. Stop funding B.S. and demand results!
Government should do like the 'Space X' prize. Post an prize for achieving a task. Let anyone compete investing their own funding and time in achieving actual usable results.
After all multiple heads (ideas) are better than one. <end of rant>

Back to original subject. Still working on posting drone video.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Back to original subject. Still working on posting drone video.
Looking forward to it! Will be very interesting what the end product will look like. Cool
Insanity
I didn't realize drones were so cheap nowadays. I might tinker with one because it seems so fun to play with. There are things you can do when you're up so high in the sky with it.
standready
Here is a video I shot with drone.
http://s49.photobucket.com/user/standready/media/vid010715a_zps5pyv4d4p.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0
Hopefully it works.
As you can see, I have a lot of trees around so flight time gets limited due to winds.
LxGoodies
Looks like it got up above the trees alright Very Happy
standready
LxGoodies wrote:
Looks like it got up above the trees alright Very Happy

Yes, it can. However it can also get stuck high up in the tree as I did last week in the very top! (about 60 feet up) A neighbor and I put together a very wobbly pole to get the drone down. Will get a picture post (sorry no video) soon.
deanhills
standready wrote:
http://s49.photobucket.com/user/standready/media/vid010715a_zps5pyv4d4p.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0
Hopefully it works.
As you can see, I have a lot of trees around so flight time gets limited due to winds.
Aha .... so that background noise was the wind. Guess it must take a certain dexterity to get it to this stage. Very impressive. Mission accomplished. Cool
alex96stefan
I am seriouslty thinking in buying a drone. I love aerial photography. This will make me more comfortable to capture cityscapes.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Aha .... so that background noise was the wind

Dean, the background noise is the motors of the drone. Kind of makes microphone useless.

standready wrote:
Will get a picture post (sorry no video) soon.

photobucket not cooperating this morning.
standready

If you look straight up from the small tree centered in the picture, you might be able to see the green drone stuck on the branch of the tall tree. Was a task to get the drone down. Would have been a funny picture of two men trying (successfully) to handle a put together wobbly 60 foot pole.

deanhills
standready wrote:
If you look straight up from the small tree centered in the picture, you might be able to see the green drone stuck on the branch of the tall tree. Was a task to get the drone down. Would have been a funny picture of two men trying (successfully) to handle a put together wobbly 60 foot pole.
Wow! Think I could make it out in the bottom pic - the green spec in the tree on the left hand side?

But that must have been a task to get it down. How did you do it?
standready
deanhills wrote:
Wow! Think I could make it out in the bottom pic - the green spec in the tree on the left hand side?
Yep! Green spec in the center of the photo about 60 feet off the ground.

deanhills wrote:
But that must have been a task to get it down. How did you do it?

A neighbor and I put together a pole. Naturally, the pole sag under it's own weight. Was a fight for the two of us to handle the wobbly pole and get the pole to go where it needed but we were successful.
LxGoodies
alex96stefan wrote:
aerial photography

It can be amazing quality too..

Seen this ? Cool could be Phantom 3 Pro.. or this one.. the stability of the "gimbal" thing does the trick,

standready
LxGoodies wrote:
Seen this ?

Yes, I have watched many videos. I can't complain about the quality of mine considering the price I paid.
Insanity
I just bought a drone for a birthday present. I think it makes a great gift for someone who is into technology and is a big geek.
LibreMichael
I know some friends who's got two DJI drones. They say they're really good quality if you're into drones, especially if you want to do some drone shots for movies.
standready
Insanity wrote:
I just bought a drone for a birthday present. I think it makes a great gift for someone who is into technology and is a big geek.

Cool lucky person!
Hertzeen
standready wrote:
http://s49.photobucket.com/user/standready/media/vid010715a_zps5pyv4d4p.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0 cdg paris transfer
Hopefully it works.

that's a great discovery!
standready
Welcome to Frihost, Hertzeen.
The drone is fun to use especially for the price I paid.
standready
OK, this drone is very durable but hard landings, getting stuck in trees and banging walls (inside house) has taken its toll on one of the prop drive assemblies. I think I see the crack in the one holder which is causing the drive misalignment.
While looking for parts, I stumbled across a place selling the same drone (in different color) for less than $22. That is close to what the replacement parts would cost!
deanhills
standready wrote:
While looking for parts, I stumbled across a place selling the same drone (in different color) for less than $22. That is close to what the replacement parts would cost!
Sounds like a great idea. So which one of the two is going to serve for parts? Razz
standready
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:
Sounds like a great idea. So which one of the two is going to serve for parts? Razz

Will fly the new one until I break it then decide which one to repair. I am going to take old one apart to see if I can fix the cracked holder.
SonLight
I was going to ask if you had any experience with the new FAA drone regulations. I found a site, dronelaw.net , which has some info from a "public opinion" perspective on the subject. It appears the rules aren't in place yet. Here's an interesting view on the privacy aspects of the law:

Quote:
A little privacy, please

Privacy was one of the topics of my drone law class for cybersecurity grad students of Marymount University. They have a drone class, and students are required, among other things, to own and use a drone. Quite impressive.

Privacy flies out the window, reportedly, with the drone registry requirement. I wonder how many would-be registrants will hesitate when they learn that their names and addresses will be made public.

For that privilege, they will pay $5 – after the ramp-up period of the registry.

Wonder whether that’s upside down. Keep the registry confidential; let those needing to investigate a drone incident pay $5. That would be a negligible amount after a serious incident, to obtain owner/operator information and keep out the curious or annoying.
standready
SonLight wrote:
I was going to ask if you had any experience with the new FAA drone regulations.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
The link above also has a flying guidelines. I did registrar with the FAA even though this drone is under weigh specs. Maybe down the road, I might get a different drone that did require (I doubt) but registration was free at that time
standready
Since my old drone has one bad drive assembly, I found a complete replacement for less than the drive.

Not bad for less than $14 USD shipped. Same model, different color. Lots of spare parts now.
deanhills
Looks great Stand. Have you tried it out yet?
standready
deanhills wrote:
Looks great Stand. Have you tried it out yet?

Inside the house only as windy conditions and rain have made using outside not good. Hoping for good weather to take to park/school grounds where there are not so many trees.
standready
Finally had somewhat calm conditions yesterday evening to take drone outside. Worked well thought still 'trimming' controls.
standready
Finally made it out to the park with the drone yesterday. A bit of a breeze kept me from making a slow panoramic turn that I would have liked.
Caution: turn your sound down or off as motors are all you will hear,
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f290/standready/th_MOVI0008_zpsd0rjt5pi.mp4[/IMG]
deanhills
standready wrote:
Finally made it out to the park with the drone yesterday. A bit of a breeze kept me from making a slow panoramic turn that I would have liked.
Caution: turn your sound down or off as motors are all you will hear,
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f290/standready/th_MOVI0008_zpsd0rjt5pi.mp4[/IMG]

Looks as though you're getting some nice shots - must take a certain amount of dexterity to control it. My favourite spot in the video was by the lake when you were able to make it stationary for a while.

Well done! One of these days you'll be sending drones to the Middle East! Razz
standready
Does take steady hands to control especially with wind. I am getting better.
standready
Had the drone out this morning. Winds were 11 mph and made flying interesting.
standready
Took the drone out a few nights ago. Had a bat come and circle around the drone checking out this strange buzzing creature (the drone) invading it's airspace. The bat came close but did not attack. Neither did the drone.
Sadly, too dark for video!
deanhills
Wonder whether the bat took a liking to the drone? Could be a nice romantic story. Laughing
standready
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether the bat took a liking to the drone? Could be a nice romantic story. Laughing

Too funny, Dean!