FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I want to apply a free Domain name.

williamlandMIP
I want to apply a free Domain name. Where I can found it?
RosenCruz
williamlandMIP wrote:
I want to apply a free Domain name. Where I can found it?

Try freeNOM. They save some good extensions
deanhills
I love FreeNom. I wouldn't recommend them for a professional high-profile Website, but for the hobby and test sites I have the free domains are awesome. Process for creating them is simple, fast, the name servers easy to add, and they usually propagate fast too. There is also not a cap on the number of free domains one may have. There are rules though. One has to have an active Website on the domain. And FreeNom is quite strict with removing those when there is no active Website, and they usually remove the Website first before any discussion follows. For those who use the domain for a serious Website they may also get disappointed, as when FreeNom sees value has been added to a domain, they usually remove it for sale.
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
I love FreeNom. I wouldn't recommend them for a professional high-profile Website, but for the hobby and test sites I have the free domains are awesome. Process for creating them is simple, fast, the name servers easy to add, and they usually propagate fast too. There is also not a cap on the number of free domains one may have. There are rules though. One has to have an active Website on the domain. And FreeNom is quite strict with removing those when there is no active Website, and they usually remove the Website first before any discussion follows. For those who use the domain for a serious Website they may also get disappointed, as when FreeNom sees value has been added to a domain, they usually remove it for sale.

Very well summarized. Wink
Simonjw
This is a short bump from when the OP asked this question, but here is my doodle on this.

It's all well and good getting a free domain name, especially when you're learning the web trade and trying out some ideas or you simply don't have the funds etc. I'd say get one and see how it goes.

Here are a few places you can get free decent ones from:

es.vc
    freenom
    .tk

There is also another option which can involve getting a tld like .com, .info etc for a year. You should definitely know within a year if your idea is working or not and if it is a workbench for you then you can just repeat the process every year unless you have money after the year. Here is what you can do to get a tld like .com, .info etc for pretty much free:

Get yourself a paypal account and an account at shorte.st and/or adfly and go to your Facebook, Twitter or to your real life friends and family and explain to them what you want to do. Then explain to them when they click on a link in your posts, an advert will show, they can ignore the advert and click skip ad after 5 seconds which will then start generating a bit of income for you. Do this until you get the required amount you need and you're good to go.

Also this will get you networking and someone might even throw some donations your way to get you started, you never know.

I hope this helped.

Cheers,
Simon