FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


win 10 is better than win 8





williamlandMIP
win 10 is better than win 8 a lot. i don't like windows 8. Window 10 are more close to windows 7. I like it . and you?
jajarvin
williamlandMIP wrote:
Window 10 are more close to windows 7


I think Windows 7 is still the best version of Windows.
Marcuzzo
LOL, windows 10 is actually more like Windows 8.2
they added the good-ol' menu again because people were nagging about it too much.

first setting I changed was to show a fullscreen start menu instead of the ugly "new" menu

apart from that a nice OS
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
LOL, windows 10 is actually more like Windows 8.2
Never thought of it that way, but sounds about right. I'm a bit cautious with changing as I've just managed to change to Windows 7 a few months ago after XP was discontinued. I felt VERY lucky to be able to make an old printer work that HP had made redundant because it refused to create a driver for Windows 7. I thought I'd have to get rid of the printer and for FLUKE used its original driver disk of 2004 and it worked! Still can't believe my luck. Am dead certain i won't be that lucky with Windows 10. I've got a lot of old software that probably will bite the dust if I should change to Windows 10, and why change when I'm completely OK with Windows 7? I usually only change OS when I get new hardware, so when my current hardware becomes outdated say in two to three years time, I'll probably just go for the OS that comes with the hardware. I guess by that time Microsoft will have the whole world on its annual plan of coughing up X US$ to get updates. Evil or Very Mad
Marcuzzo
deanhills wrote:
Marcuzzo wrote:
LOL, windows 10 is actually more like Windows 8.2
Never thought of it that way, but sounds about right. I'm a bit cautious with changing as I've just managed to change to Windows 7 a few months ago after XP was discontinued. I felt VERY lucky to be able to make an old printer work that HP had made redundant because it refused to create a driver for Windows 7. I thought I'd have to get rid of the printer and for FLUKE used its original driver disk of 2004 and it worked! Still can't believe my luck. Am dead certain i won't be that lucky with Windows 10. I've got a lot of old software that probably will bite the dust if I should change to Windows 10, and why change when I'm completely OK with Windows 7? I usually only change OS when I get new hardware, so when my current hardware becomes outdated say in two to three years time, I'll probably just go for the OS that comes with the hardware. I guess by that time Microsoft will have the whole world on its annual plan of coughing up X US$ to get updates. Evil or Very Mad


Hi Dean, a 'change' is only worth the trouble if there is an improvement, changing just for the sake of changing is IMO never an option.

I see this all the time at work. eg: Windows 10 was announced in september 2014 and by mid 2015 people were going nuts, some of the customers at the company I work are dying to get the latest gizmo's out there and by June they already asked our team how long it would take to set up an SCCM server to deploy windows 10, keeping in mind that fact that is was realeased to OEM's a month later and 2 months later to the public.

creating the "golden image" was a huge task, creating the actual deployment image was a nightmare, driver related mostly.

so, my advise: is there support for your current operating system? is it still maintained? does the software you need to run work? if these are all answerred with a yes... then you're fine
Da Rossa
Windows 10 is good. However, I'm facing some compatibility issues. Not that it's Microsoft's fault.
Windows 10 is closer to Windows 8 then the latter is close to Windows 7, but Windows 10 is way better 8. I had to try-and-reject Windows 8 five times until I decided to use permanently. So many little problems.

Therefore, despite the nice native windows modern apps, nice notification center and tablet mode, I have to agree I miss Windows 7.
Marcuzzo
Da Rossa wrote:
Windows 10 is good. However, I'm facing some compatibility issues. Not that it's Microsoft's fault.
Windows 10 is closer to Windows 8 then the latter is close to Windows 7, but Windows 10 is way better 8. I had to try-and-reject Windows 8 five times until I decided to use permanently. So many little problems.

Therefore, despite the nice native windows modern apps, nice notification center and tablet mode, I have to agree I miss Windows 7.


Not tot start a discussion, but I agree on the part that Windows 10 is beter then 8, though I wouldn't say better then 8.1
If you look at windows 10 and don't pay attention to the eye candy Microsoft has thrown our way, I'd say it looks more like Windows 8.2 then 10.

Personally I don't like what they did with the start menu. I preferred the 8.1 way, which you can still select but doesn't quite feel the same and make use of the search functionality.

IMHO, Windows 7 was a breath of fresh air after the vista fiasco but still, Even though most people compared the vista-7 evolution to the 2000-xp update, it still doesn't match up to 8.1.
8 has taken a beating but 8.1 was a definite improvement, especially when you look at the server editions, 2012 was a piece of crap while 2012 R2 was a masterpiece
deanhills
I haven't tried Windows 10 and am hoping to skip it until the next Windows release. I really like Windows 8.1 very much, and have that on one of my laptops. For my desktops I'm still on Windows 7, and don't see any need yet to change to anything else. I usually prefer to change Windows versions when I can upgrade the hardware of my computer as well. Somehow I get the picture that new hardware is built with latest version of Windows OS in mind. By the same token there is a very good chance that some of one's older devices like printers may not work any longer. Moving from Windows XP to Windows 7 some of my very old favourite software didn't work any longer as well as a trusted printer. I finally got the printer to work, however I'm dead certain it won't work with Windows 10.
Da Rossa
Dean, I would suggest you to use Windows 10 and never miss a version during your usage history, so you can have a smoother transition and you won't miss the evolutionary process.
So far, Windows 7 still has the security upgrades, but no longer improvement updates. The development process is more dynamic now, I think you should be experiencing the latest stuff!

And what kind of software doesn't work on Windows 10?

@ Marcuzzo: you are a rare human being: liking Windows 8.1 over all others ever made! Not saying it's crap, but from 100 people, 99 prefer Windows 7 over 8.1 Very Happy
younelba
I m on windows 10 for 2 weeks and there is a huge difference between these two versions
deanhills
younelba wrote:
I m on windows 10 for 2 weeks and there is a huge difference between these two versions
For a quality post credit and a quality contribution to this thread tell us what are the differences between the two? Why do you favour the one OS over the other?

Note: One liner posts with no discussion in them won't earn you a quality credit for a hosting account.
Marcuzzo
Da Rossa wrote:
@ Marcuzzo: you are a rare human being: liking Windows 8.1 over all others ever made! Not saying it's crap, but from 100 people, 99 prefer Windows 7 over 8.1 Very Happy


I think most people that do what I do for a living will agree with me and that there are simply more non technical people working with PC's then technical, so those numbers seem logical to me.
most people don't like change, they are affraid of it. and when the OS changes too much they will dismiss it as crap, this has happened to Vista and to 8 ( and since most people don't care about versioning, they see 8.1 still as just 8 )

As an engineer I have got several customer environments, each running their own Operating system versions on client computers ( mostly build and maintained by my team ) and the servers setup with the version required to service these devices.

so I get to work on ALL versions of windows, believe it or not, one of my customers is still running aprox 30 XP devices on their network and we are moving their primary domain controller from a server 2003 to a Server 2012 R2 at the moment.
we're also building windows 10 images, because of this, I get to work on every windows version starting at XP all the way up to Windows Server ( 2016 ) and that ( without being cocky ) is a good indication that I know these systems all too well.
CHAOS-THEORY
I haven't used a microsoft product that actually works and doesn't cause you more trouble and resource hunger than gives you features.
So i can't answer this question, windows sucks terribly.
RosenCruz
I also do believe that Windows 10 is a greater product in terms of interface and stability. However, I had to rip off all those Cortana and Market stuff to get the best of it. Now I am pretty satisfied with it.
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
However, I had to rip off all those Cortana and Market stuff to get the best of it.
How did you manage to do it? Cool
Marcuzzo
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
I haven't used a microsoft product that actually works and doesn't cause you more trouble and resource hunger than gives you features.
So i can't answer this question, windows sucks terribly.


smells like a troll, Laughing
I've got a few servers running at home and most of them are debian so I've had my share of trouble with linux too, messing up a file without backing it up can be painful on linux boxes, on windows you just don't have to edit a lot of textfiles for configuration as most of the stuff is stored in the registry. that's why it isn't recommended to touch the registry unless you actually know what you are doing.

most problems with windows aren't related to the OS but to drivers and applications and not to mention the updates from HELL!!! Laughing , not too long ago we rolled out a botched security patch and users are still experiencing issues where office applications would relentlessly crash.

another huge problem with windows is that it's default configuration isn't very secure. if you buy an OEM device, chances are that you are running as local admin, this is one of the first things to change, just like on a linux box, you disable the default 'root' account which is 'Administrator' and you create 2 user accounts, where one will be the account which you use to log on to the system and the other for elevated tasks, just like in linux you would 'sudo' your commands and never actually run a terminal in 'su' mode ( eg: sudo su )

here's what I usually do:

1. Create regular user account
Code:
net user marco password123 /ADD


2. Create 'root' account
Code:
net user root toor /ADD


3. Add the root account to the Administrators group
Code:
net localgroup Administrators root /ADD


next you check if the default administrator is enabled by running
Code:
net user administrator | find "active"


if the output is 'yes' ( I activated the user just to show the output )

Code:
C:\Users\marco>net user administrator | find "active"
Account active               Yes


you disable it by running the following command
Code:
net user administrator /active:no


this way whenever you need to install anything you just right-click the file and select 'run as admin', UAC pops up and you enter your admin password.


I have to be honest, the last couple of MS products are really nice, visual studio community, open sourcing the dotnet core, visual studio code, the visual studio emulator for android which is amazing because this way I don't need to turn off my hyper-v to debug an android app in android studio.

so there has been an improvement IMO.

however, there are a few things that I don't like about windows 10 which is that it wants to call home even more then E.T. fortunately there are a few guys ( or girls) out there that find simple hacks to make our lives easier and share it with the community, like this repo on github that adresses those things, I haven't tested them myself, I've read the code and the reg files and it looks promising, with a few tweaks here and there it should take care of most of the stuff.

keep it in mind that editing the registry is dangerous and that these type of 'hacks' are the reason why most systems become unstable after a while
Da Rossa
Marcuzzo, interesting points. I have a hard time finding a Windows Server administrator. I've worked in a company of Linux guys, but didn't get to put my hands on the system.

Quote:
that's why it isn't recommended to touch the registry unless you actually know what you are doing.


That is pointed as a hassle by nearly everyone. The registry is cryptic; there are keys and values that don't exist by default, so how do you get to know them first hand?

Also, I think the text files are more intuitive and easier to troubleshoot, isn't it?

Besides, some point that Windows Server is pointless because there shouldn't be a graphical interface, which takes up resources, for server functionality. After all, is it possible to fully manage a Windows server by command line?
Marcuzzo
Da Rossa wrote:
That is pointed as a hassle by nearly everyone. The registry is cryptic; there are keys and values that don't exist by default, so how do you get to know them first hand?


Most registrykeys and registryvalues are will documented on technet and msdn. that is, the ones that are fairly safe to modify, the other core registrykeys have got hex values where each byte will hold a different setting.

Da Rossa wrote:
Also, I think the text files are more intuitive and easier to troubleshoot, isn't it?

true, but I think this was a performance choice, windows can read the registry a lot faster then it can read from the filesystem.
for small applications, I will generally use the filesystem to store settings and configuration, mostly xml because it's easy to work with, but for larger projects I will use the registry too.

Da Rossa wrote:
Besides, some point that Windows Server is pointless because there shouldn't be a graphical interface, which takes up resources, for server functionality. After all, is it possible to fully manage a Windows server by command line?

ofcourse, there is a windows server-core, in this version you basically get a blue background and a cmd and/or powershell window. it's basically a stripped down version of the OS where they've removed explorer, internet explorer and a bunch of other stuff that it doesn't need, but controlpanels like devmgmt.cpl and the like are still available.

the only downside is that there isn't a lot you can do with just a server-core.you can run a domain controller, dhcp, dns, file, hyper-v, print and web server ( I think) for other components you will definitely need the standard version.

but if you need to have a basic Domain Controller, which will usually also be the DNS and DHCP server, you can perfectly manage that server. you don't even need to log on to the server directly.
what I usually do is start a pssession
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
However, I had to rip off all those Cortana and Market stuff to get the best of it.
How did you manage to do it? Cool


You can use these tools. I used DWS Lite and it worked fine

http://dws.wzor.net

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/
Da Rossa
Thanks Marcuzzo! It is not often that I get to hear from a Windows admin Smile
CHAOS-THEORY
Marcuzzo wrote:
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
I haven't used a microsoft product that actually works and doesn't cause you more trouble and resource hunger than gives you features.
So i can't answer this question, windows sucks terribly.


smells like a troll, Laughing
I've got a few servers running at home and most of them are debian so I've had my share of trouble with linux too,

This person makes me sound like a troll more then i actually is.
When it comes to windows everyone brings up the great Linux and their old windows is windows is story, while they don't realize that windows is just a bunch of stolen crap yards from other systems and open source projects.
Due to the incompetence of microsoft developers, no one today enjoys his "forced to use" OS.
When it comes to servers, there is no way, and i say no way that you can actually use a windows server, unless you start hacking into it and paying relatively huge amounts of money to get nothing.
No wonder 96.55% of servers are Linux based.
While he's saying that windows can read registers faster then Linux reads data from files, and still windows can't run or start or load or even edit anything any faster then it's other alternatives.
And you obviously had your share of pain with Linux due to your incompetence, you can't just ride a bicycle without learning how it works.
Quote:
most problems with windows aren't related to the OS but to drivers and applications and not to mention the updates from HELL!!! Laughing , not ...

This should go viral, if the problems of windows aren't related to the kernel it self, then i wonder if it's related to the manufacturers that puts millions and nights to achieve their software and hardware.
If the OS was written well and maintained well, the manufacturers wouldn't struggle to just create a simple window, wind away ignorance.
Quote:
keep it in mind that editing the registry is dangerous and that these type of 'hacks' are the reason why most systems become unstable after a while

Believe it or not, with or without hacks windows is unusable after like a month of unstable use.
I don't see how hacking an OS have to do with stability.
Last but not least, just to let these "windows fans" enjoy my games in the future and make them cross platform.
I had to pass 3months, to just create a window and assign to it an OpenGL context passing thru all the technical difficulties while i couldn't find anyone or any topic to help me about it, and at the end that i finished the wrapped i decided to just throw this shit and not make anything available for windows.
While in Linux it was a matter of minutes until i finished my wrapper.
And am still in Debian Stretch Alpha04, better then hell. And i will compile for everything, but windows and mac.
Peace everyone
Marcuzzo
You didn't read my post well because you were too busy building up frustration and already thinking on how to bash me, but that's OK, I forgive you.

I never said that windows reads registry faster then Linux can read a file, I said: "windows can read the registry faster then it can read from a filesystem"

And for the record, if you take me for a windows fanboy, think again, I run Jessie on my personal laptop and windows on my work laptop, and I love (and from time to time hate) both

Edit: I had to chuckle when I read that you were laughing at my Linux 'incompetence'...

Edit: for the record , just so my message isn't interpreted incorrectly again, I never claimed that windows is better then Linux, nor will I ever. This topic is about windows 10 vs windows 8.1, 8 and 7.
Not windows vs Linux
CHAOS-THEORY
I dont see what you have to forgive me for, you already make it like i made a sin, and you are my god.
If you actually think that i get frustrated trying to spare a bit of my time to reply to someone on a forum which let's you keep your hosting by posting, you really should think again.
I dont also believe that trying to prove a fact is called bashing, i shall tell you that not everyone is like you, that's why there's a term called personality.
And as far i know, registry db of windows is stored and retrieved using the same file system the os uses, except that its stored as binary? except for data bigger than 2kbs
I dont take anyone as a fan boy nether someone using anything will make him/her a fan of it, i just dont like people giving credits for something practically useless, almost.
And i don't see how you can possibly know that i am laughing at you, i said that you can't ride a bicycle if you don't know how it works, especially with the Linux case, you can't use it if you dont understand how it works, except for userfriendly destros like ubuntu, i don't think i can laugh at you unless you start blatantly to throw random ignorant words in an inappropriate manner.
Last but not least, if you read the first reply i wrote, it doesn't have any Linux mentioned in it, until you mentioned it.
And sorry if you understood anything wrong, have a nice day, and am afraid i have to not reply to the next reply, but i will read it, since i don't like these long replyback posts, it's addictive.
Take care peace Wink
Marcuzzo
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
And sorry if you understood anything wrong

don't worry, I didn't, no hard feelings
zarawatsonn
I am using Windows 10 since last 6 months, I find it so much better as compared to the Windows 8. It is fast as well as more responsive.
Da Rossa
So... I guess everyone should jump from 8 to 10. I can't see a reason one should stick to 8. If one would be talking about Windows 7, then that would be debateable...
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
So... I guess everyone should jump from 8 to 10. I can't see a reason one should stick to 8. If one would be talking about Windows 7, then that would be debateable...
I'm still with windows 7 as haven't found a really good reason that justifies me upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When there is, I'll certain do that upgrade.

I also have a laptop with Windows 8.1. I really like it, and similarly to Windows 7, have not seen a good enough reason yet to upgrade to Windows 10. Enough to justify the effort that needs to put in to make the upgrade. When the need for an upgrade is justified, I'll make that change. Most likely it will only happen when I change my hardware, as when I upgrade hardware, that usually comes with upgrading the OS, if needed.
Da Rossa
Quote:
I also have a laptop with Windows 8.1. I really like it, and similarly to Windows 7, have not seen a good enough reason yet to upgrade to Windows 10. Enough to justify the effort that needs to put in to make the upgrade. When the need for an upgrade is justified, I'll make that change. Most likely it will only happen when I change my hardware, as when I upgrade hardware, that usually comes with upgrading the OS, if needed.


Then we have a dillema, Dean, because Windows 7 is good enough for you not to have a reason to try 10 in the first place. Actually, no one needs Windows 10 over 7, unless you're talking about people with hybrid/surface/touch devices.

But trust me, Windows 10 is good to go. Way better than 8.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Quote:
I also have a laptop with Windows 8.1. I really like it, and similarly to Windows 7, have not seen a good enough reason yet to upgrade to Windows 10. Enough to justify the effort that needs to put in to make the upgrade. When the need for an upgrade is justified, I'll make that change. Most likely it will only happen when I change my hardware, as when I upgrade hardware, that usually comes with upgrading the OS, if needed.


Then we have a dillema, Dean, because Windows 7 is good enough for you not to have a reason to try 10 in the first place. Actually, no one needs Windows 10 over 7, unless you're talking about people with hybrid/surface/touch devices.

But trust me, Windows 10 is good to go. Way better than 8.
Think you need to be careful to define what you mean with Windows 8. As there is Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Windows 8 was and is a disaster, and Microsoft ended its support for Windows 8 long ago. Windows 8.1 is a much improved upgrade from Windows 8, and many people like it. So do I. When I purchased a new laptop last year it came with Windows 8.1 and I'm very happy using it. I also like working with Windows 7 Professional. There is absolutely no reason for me to want to change what I have as both work well for me. I don't follow trends just for the sake of it. I'll only change if there is a really good reason to do so.
Da Rossa
You're right. Windows 8.1 is way better than 8. I'm conservative as you are... when it comes to politics. Very Happy

But one thing hasn't been made clear: did you get to try Windows 10?
RosenCruz
RosenCruz wrote:
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
However, I had to rip off all those Cortana and Market stuff to get the best of it.
How did you manage to do it? Cool


You can use these tools. I used DWS Lite and it worked fine

http://dws.wzor.net

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/



Use W10 with these tools. Significant performance improvements Wink
Marcuzzo
https://github.com/dfkt/win10-******
use it wisely...
Da Rossa
@Marcuzzo

They say

Quote:
Remove anti-privacy, anti-security, and general nuisance "features" from Windows 10.
.

What exactly? To be honest, I'm more concerned about performance rather than privacy when it comes to Microsoft.
jestoy0514
If I were to choose between Windows 7, 8, & 10, Windows 7 is still far more awesome operating system microsoft has released. But between 8 & 10, I will choose Windows 10 is far way more usable than Windows 8.
nocks31
williamlandMIP wrote:
win 10 is better than win 8 a lot. i don't like windows 8. Window 10 are more close to windows 7. I like it . and you?


I hate that I can't handpick which updates to install in windows 10. Windows 7 is the new XP, it's light, you can tweak almost everything and the gui is comfortable. The only thing I celebrate about windows 10 is the menu in the Windows+X shortcut where you can go almost to any config with that keycombo.
loveandormoney
The best thing is
there are no problems
with the updates.
Da Rossa
loveandormoney wrote:
The best thing is
there are no problems
with the updates.


Indeed. And I know that updates are a good thing. There are people who disable them just for being naggy. It's not like it used to be back in Windows 7.
loveandormoney
But our wonderful Linux sometimes had and has problems with updates. Sometimes the mouse disappeared und sometimes the gui.
But its ok.

*

Please
owners of win 10
once a week to an update
for Your safety and the safety of Your files.
nam_siddharth
I am using Windows 10, and it is far better than Windows 8. It has not only better security features but also great in user experience.
restonpiston
loveandormoney wrote:
Please
owners of win 10
once a week to an update
for Your safety and the safety of Your files


It's a good tip in any SO, but in Windows 10 it can lead to reinstalling all the Windows bloatware as Cortana, so beware.
Da Rossa
Quote:
Please
owners of win 10
once a week to an update
for Your safety and the safety of Your files.


I wish we had a more mature command line interface on Windows. On Linux you can do much more, at least this is how I feel. I would like to run Windows Update through PowerShell, for instance.

By the way, Cortana is not bloatware! Very Happy
restonpiston
Well, I may misused the word Very Happy . However, my point remains, if you update Windows there is a good chance that every removed program installed by the OS come back (which may or may not be a bad thing).
Da Rossa
restonpiston wrote:
Well, I may misused the word Very Happy . However, my point remains, if you update Windows there is a good chance that every removed program installed by the OS come back (which may or may not be a bad thing).


Turns out it's not that good to remove built-in programs these days. What's the real gain? Just unpin from your start screen and it's out of your sight.
restonpiston
Usually you gain some privacy, if you are concerned about that. Built-in programs in Windows both steal your data and slow your computer
Da Rossa
restonpiston wrote:
Usually you gain some privacy, if you are concerned about that. Built-in programs in Windows both steal your data and slow your computer


The slow down part IMO is not "that" true anymore. As for the privacy concerns, it is true, but those options are all deactivatable. The bad thing is that you have to do some research to find out.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
restonpiston wrote:
Usually you gain some privacy, if you are concerned about that. Built-in programs in Windows both steal your data and slow your computer


The slow down part IMO is not "that" true anymore. As for the privacy concerns, it is true, but those options are all deactivatable. The bad thing is that you have to do some research to find out.
I disagree. It's much slower than it used to be. All you have to do is load Windows XP and you'll see how fast things can be. There are so many protection definitions loaded these days, that may or may not be relevant to one's computer.

And no, one can't deactivate windows updates. One can choose not to load any, but that would probably not be very wise in the long run. I've currently got my updates on "let me choose", so I can only choose the directly relevant updates, but that's not perfect either. Ever since Microsoft Windows decided to go for bundle updates that are applicable to both Windows 7-10 comprehensively, my older computers on Windows 7 have been in trouble with updates. Imagine your computer looking for all of the components that are in those updates, and not being able to find them as Windows 10 has nothing to do with Windows 7 and 8.1 and the other way round. That's all JUNK that is unnecessary and wearing the system down. Only part that will help is if you have a device with massive processing and storage capacity.
andy26
I see alot of people saying how much better windows 7 is and how they will always use windows 7. You really need to learn how to move on.

There isnt a whole bunch of serious changes, between the two that should make you avoid windows 10 if your a keen gamer then you need to upgrade so you can make the most out of the new direct x updates.

Security updates which are extremely important will get dropped from windows 7 soon i know xp stopped i think the same is for vista if not shortly they will be dropped. so its only a matter of time now that they drop windows 7.

I know its not easy adapting to something new i successfully avoided windows 8 i couldn't get behind metro it was the worst implementation into windows ever and was completely unnecessary.

but windows 10 still has some windows 7 features but also has some welcomed changes. just watch what you agree to when installing and watch those privacy settings.
loveandormoney
How do You control the updates?
Da Rossa
deanhills wrote:
I disagree. It's much slower than it used to be. All you have to do is load Windows XP and you'll see how fast things can be. There are so many protection definitions loaded these days, that may or may not be relevant to one's computer.

And no, one can't deactivate windows updates. One can choose not to load any, but that would probably not be very wise in the long run. I've currently got my updates on "let me choose", so I can only choose the directly relevant updates, but that's not perfect either. Ever since Microsoft Windows decided to go for bundle updates that are applicable to both Windows 7-10 comprehensively, my older computers on Windows 7 have been in trouble with updates. Imagine your computer looking for all of the components that are in those updates, and not being able to find them as Windows 10 has nothing to do with Windows 7 and 8.1 and the other way round. That's all JUNK that is unnecessary and wearing the system down. Only part that will help is if you have a device with massive processing and storage capacity.


But Windows XP is a 2001 operating system, lightweight as it should have been back in the day. It as fast as it is limited. So I think it's like comparing a bicycle with a comfortable golf cart to ride a field.

As for the Windows Update, that was not what I meant precisely; I was talking about the privacy settings regarding Windows 10 built-in apps.

About the updates on older computers: on this one I have to agree. Crying or Very sad
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:

But Windows XP is a 2001 operating system, lightweight as it should have been back in the day. It as fast as it is limited. So I think it's like comparing a bicycle with a comfortable golf cart to ride a field.

I think the limitations of Windows XP have to do with what the OS is used for. If one has simple uses, then it's perfect in fact much more ideal than Windows that have been designed for advanced applications. There are many who are using it for all kinds of simple uses in preference to up to date Windows systems. If one needs a Volkswagen, why go for a system that supports a Porsche? But yes, if one needs an OS for advanced applications, then obviously the most recent Microsoft Windows would be more ideal.
Da Rossa
Thing is, there is now a wide variety of applications that are no longer supported by Windows XP. Even the poorest laptop won't come with Windows XP for three years now. Unless you're talking about a one-purpose system like those ones to run old cashier applications at shops, I really don't know why stick to XP.
loveandormoney
But You can use xp offline. You can use coral and pagemaker and all stuff. But never u ll be allowed to go online. Andalso Dreamv. is working fine. But offline.
Da Rossa
loveandormoney wrote:
But You can use xp offline. You can use coral and pagemaker and all stuff. But never u ll be allowed to go online. Andalso Dreamv. is working fine. But offline.


"Pagemaker"? I assume that's an app for creating creative content. Is that from Adobe? Right, then you finish your work, what are you gonna do next? Put on a flash drive to copy to other computer then upload or post it? Doesn't make sense!
Related topics
5frih$ For first 10 members! Chance to win 10 more! [new!]
What programs do you run
How about my new sig - need ur advice Rotengel !
a few sigs from me..
Internet Explorer 7 (beta 2 preview)
BEST PC THAT MONEY CAN BUY !!
The Daily Guess A Number Game: Day 111
Building Your Own PC?
Get 2 FRIH$ just for Trying to win 10 Frih$ (whats to lose?)
Ragnarok Games Guide: Wizards/Mages
Search engine
something wrong with DVD-rom
Tony Blair
Name the Movie Poster - Win 10 FriH$
ALGEBRA PRACTICE� win 10 frih$
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.