FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Number of posts in the past year

truespeed
Using the current total,and taking away the total from Nov 20th 2014 via the wayback machine , the total posts for that 12 month period was 10259.

I can't find the page for the years gone by totals,but I am sure Dean will know it.

I know it's not jan to Dec total,but I thought I would post now while I had the idea in my head.
standready
You are right. Dean will know. He did have a post on the subject that I will try to find.

EDIT: found statistics
http://www.frihost.com/search/post_statistics.php?groupby=year
Can be sorted by day, month or year.
truespeed
Thanks Stand

So the last time we had a full year of results was 2013,and there were 31698 posts.

The stats stopped in mid July in 2014,where it looked like we were on for about 20 000 posts for that year.

And here we are in 2015,with just 10 000.

2015: 10 000
2014: 9726 (Year end would have been roughly 20 000)
2013: 31698
2012: 50336
2011: 60185
2010: 58057
2009: 86127
2008: 116763
2007: 183901
2006: 323582
2005: 123760
deanhills
Great that you started this thread Truespeed. When we lost the Site stats tool during the migration of the forum from one Data center to another last year in July, that really was sad to me. Also killed my competition. Crying or Very sad

I must say I'm surprised we're heading for 10,000 posts this year. Feels like less than that. Traffic seems to be OK though as we seem to be getting plenty of visitors on a daily basis.
truespeed
I think knowing the daily/monthly/yearly totals helped frihost,it gave the users targets to meet, now without them the totals have really fallen off.

If it halves again next year,it will be only 5000.

The traffic isn't bad,but there will be a point where a lack of new posts starts to affect the traffic that google sends.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I think knowing the daily/monthly/yearly totals helped frihost,it gave the users targets to meet, now without them the totals have really fallen off.

If it halves again next year,it will be only 5000.

The traffic isn't bad,but there will be a point where a lack of new posts starts to affect the traffic that google sends.
True. But I guess once it starts to affect the income from the Forum, it will become quite significant for the Forum's longevity.
standready
Bring back the Statistics! STAT!
tonberry
Sad to see how much the stats are going down each year Sad On the other hand, at least the trend stopped and 2015 will even rebounce a bit if we're already pass the previous year post count!
deanhills
tonberry wrote:
Sad to see how much the stats are going down each year Sad On the other hand, at least the trend stopped and 2015 will even rebounce a bit if we're already pass the previous year post count!
Not really. We're at only 10,000 and only one and a half months to go to the end of 2015. 2014 is estimated at 20,000 posts, double the number of 2015.

Makes sense to me as it's much quieter this year than last year. At least last year you'll get a few bulk posters hitting the Forum periodically, like Blaster for example. Very little bulk posting this year except for yours of course, which are most welcome. Cool
tonberry
Smile My memory keeps failing me, I keep forgetting about Frihost and then remembering about it, hence the bulk posting Very Happy

Sad about statistics though, it's strange considering your hosting position on the market hasn't really changed - it still beats majority of cheap hosting offers on the market. At one point I started a website with a paid hosting because I thought this will be an upgrade over Frihost (which had regular server issues, DDOSes or something, at the time). I quickly withdrew from that "promotion" Smile

So maybe people just don't know about Frihost's existence anymore and they need to be reminded that there is this cool alternative to cheap hosting?
Insanity
Interesting that there really hasn't big that significant ofa drop in terms of posts between when it first launched and today... I suppose the requirement for people to post every so often to keep their account is keeping everyone on their toes for posting.
truespeed
Insanity wrote:
Interesting that there really hasn't big that significant ofa drop in terms of posts between when it first launched and today... I suppose the requirement for people to post every so often to keep their account is keeping everyone on their toes for posting.

There has been a massive drop, over 100'000 in the first year with a peak of over 300 000 in the 2nd year, and now down to only 10'000.

tonberry wrote:

So maybe people just don't know about Frihost's existence anymore and they need to be reminded that there is this cool alternative to cheap hosting?

That is where the problem lies, new hosting accounts just aren't being issued, or if they are, it is very infrequently , some wait months. When I joined, I had hosting within 24 hours of posting.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
That is where the problem lies, new hosting accounts just aren't being issued, or if they are, it is very infrequently , some wait months. When I joined, I had hosting within 24 hours of posting.
Regrettably things have changed however from the last time you got free hosting to now. Back then it was quite a novelty to get an ad free web hosting account. These days it is not that much of a novelty any longer. Free hosting is very easy to get almost instantly anywhere. I'd say the profile of when you had been given a free hosting account is nowadays more on the level of the same quality person preferring to fork out a few dollars for a reliable VPS or shared paid hosting. Since free hosting accounts are a dime a dozen, the profile of your member has changed quite a bit. They're not really here to stay, so we're not really getting the posts we're hoping for. These days members who ask for free hosting accounts forget quite easily that they have a free hosting account (they've probably got a few all over the show) resulting in quickie WordPress and Joomla sites that get abandoned and become security risks. I regret to say that in some ways free hosting is becoming more of a disposable hosting account business for experimentation. It's still a viable business however, particularly if it is augmented with cheap quality hosting and the Forum is alive. I also still like the post for hosting principal, as through the posts one can easily pick up whether the person is a good candidate for a hosting account. And it can turn into a fun community. As Frihost has and we're still around. I'd imagine if Bondings should pipe up one day and make a "I'm back" post, there would be an awesome revival here as well. Razz
tonberry
I love how internet forums are around. People were so skeptical when Facebook and later G+ came into play. For some time, online forums had an opinion of an old ugly geezer that is having his last breath. Many years later and forums are still very strong! Yeah, people are used to everything for cheap or free now, but Frihost still beats majority of cheap and free hosting offers and gives more flexibility than Wordpress.com or Wix.com. The latter must have a made a lot of money on hosting btw. as yesterday I watched a Premier League football match and Wix had advertisement all over the place.
playfungames
truespeed wrote:
Using the current total,and taking away the total from Nov 20th 2014 via the wayback machine , the total posts for that 12 month period was 10259.

I can't find the page for the years gone by totals,but I am sure Dean will know it.

I know it's not jan to Dec total,but I thought I would post now while I had the idea in my head.

I remember Frihost being this busy place and it was so active that it was hard to keep up. Now the number is just 10K for a 12 month period. It's still good considering the fact how the forum has not been upgraded or maintained that much. Frihost continues to look and behave the same despite the changes in the web-technology, standards and preferences these days. People are moving on to social networks for such discussions and very few popular forums that I used to visit are still alive. Also, I'm glad that Frihost is still active. But I am not always happy to see the lack of new interesting topics while old simple topics like what color are your pants being active all the time.
Insanity
I agree, I don't think I've noticed really how much forums have declined in popularity after the advent of social media. You don't see a lot of activity around forums nowadays because of social media. It's not just Facebook and Twitter too, because while those are the main forms of social media that have gained in popularity, you also have to give credit to sites like reddit, where the subreddit structure of the website makes it more like a forum. Basically, people can create their own mini forums based on whatever their preferences are and what their interests are without the hassle of creating and maintaining a forum. It's a lot less structured than a traditional forum, but it offers much more ease of use and flexibility. Unfortunately, it doesn't have as many features as a forum would, and it's more of a mini-forum than anything. But this is going to be the way moving forward, and as long as FriHost has the requirement to post a certain amount in order to keep your account, people will still be posting here until they get bored of hosting their own website.
airh3ad
Generate traffic more revenue for sure base on the statistics i mean the figure show.
Ankhanu
Lack of posting here has several issues working together to drive numbers down; some of them (internet) cultural, some of them are directly our fault as users and staff. Yeah, messageboards in general kind of struggle against social media outlets, but there's also a lack of push from above (admins and mods) that allows the lack of motivation from below (general users) to proliferate, resulting in a feedback of inactivity.
I do look forward to seeing what the year brings for final numbers... we haven't moved far from where things stood when this thread started.

I know I've been pretty busy the past year or so with work and various projects; I rarely post, though I'm here moderating at least once, often multiple times a day. I should carve out more time to make more content. I'm certainly glad that some of you are making the effort to post pretty regularly, despite the general slowness of the board. Good job Wink
standready
Any idea on where the count stands with only a few days left in the year?
deanhills
standready wrote:
Any idea on where the count stands with only a few days left in the year?

Maybe we could work on a little arithmetic. With your or Peterssidan's help as although I love stats, it's not my strong point.

When I looked at Sonam's contest for being alone on the Forum I found we had 1 141 582 total posts on 9 May 2014:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1178114.html#1178114

Today our total posts are: 1 161 659

So we made 20 077 posts from 9 May 2014 to end of December 2015. Let's round it from 1 May to end of December 2015.

Our monthly posts up to May 2014 were approx 1450 decreasing from 1900 in January 2014 to 1496 in June 2014. So let's say it decreased some more, like average went down to 1200 per month by December 2014. We do have the monthly statistics for 2014 up to June 2014:

June 2014: 1496
May 2014: 1353
April 2014: 1553
March 2014: 1410
February 2014: 1485
January 2014: 1984

If the balance of 2014 dropped to 1200 a month = 7200
Total 2014: 16451
Total January to April 2014: 6432
May to Dec 2014: 16451-6432 = 10 019
2015: 20077-10019 = 10058

Rounded off figures
2015: 10000
2014: 16000
2013: 32000
2012: 50000
2011: 60000
2010: 58000
2009: 86000
2008: 117000
2007: 183000
2006: 324000
2005: 124000

So I'd say Truespeed's prediction for 2015 is bang on the number. Cool
truespeed
10000 for 2015 would be about right, the last date of 2014 listed on the waybackmachine for frihost forums is 23rd dec ,so from that date to the 31st of dec 2015 there were 9802 posts.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
10000 for 2015 would be about right, the last date of 2014 listed on the waybackmachine for frihost forums is 23rd dec ,so from that date to the 31st of dec 2015 there were 9802 posts.
Haha! You did it the easy way. I went a million times round the same circle. Razz
Ghost Rider103
standready wrote:
You are right. Dean will know. He did have a post on the subject that I will try to find.

EDIT: found statistics
http://www.frihost.com/search/post_statistics.php?groupby=year
Can be sorted by day, month or year.

I forgot all about this tool.

I can't believe it isn't working anymore, I really enjoyed looking at the stats on posts and seeing how the forum was doing overall for the year. Even though the numbers do not look very good.
RosenCruz
We are back providing hosting and may be we will get more visitors in the future
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
We are back providing hosting and may be we will get more visitors in the future
I miss the tool too, but you're right Rosen. We should really be happy we have hosting provided and I'm sure we'll get more visitors. Usually energy is good at attracting more energy.
silvermesh
its always been the way of the internet for forums to rise and fall. all it takes is a few good members to keep posting and keep the spirit alive and you never know when something will spark a revolution and numbers could be back up to near what they were at launch.

Im sure Bondings returning would spark a pretty significant fire, but i bet also if there was a major comeback to the forum activity it might be enough to catch his eye and bring him back for a while. Smile
deanhills
silvermesh wrote:
Im sure Bondings returning would spark a pretty significant fire, but i bet also if there was a major comeback to the forum activity it might be enough to catch his eye and bring him back for a while. Smile
Now you're talking! I'm dead certain you are right. Anything above the average that happens here and his nose is itching.