FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Is it good to have 2 websites for the same purpose?





cps31
We have two websites which provides the same services. Both the websites are now in good ranking in Google search engine result page. Now we were thinking is it really to have 2 websites of same services or should we make any identical difference in both the websites?
cps31
No one is here to give a suggestion on this?
k_s_baskar
It depends on the service you are providing.
Peterssidan
Are the two websites exactly the same or is there some difference between them? I don't think there is a problem with providing the same service as long as they are aimed at somewhat different user groups (e.g. experts/novices, men/women, Germans/Russians). To get a good ranking in the search engines I think at least the text content should be unique.
cps31
Peterssidan wrote:
Are the two websites exactly the same or is there some difference between them? I don't think there is a problem with providing the same service as long as they are aimed at somewhat different user groups (e.g. experts/novices, men/women, Germans/Russians). To get a good ranking in the search engines I think at least the text content should be unique.

Both of the websites are totally different and also both of them are in good position with our potential keywords. Only problem is both of the websites providing the same kind of service.
rx9876
Since your websites are not identical the same,
they might be indexed by different keywords.

If maintaining two websites is affordable to you,
I don't think there is huge benefit to shrink two to one.
deanhills
cps31 wrote:
We have two websites which provides the same services. Both the websites are now in good ranking in Google search engine result page. Now we were thinking is it really to have 2 websites of same services or should we make any identical difference in both the websites?
If it is working well with Google the way it is now, why change something that is working well? You probably need to look at the benefits if you should merge the two Websites too. But I'd say if a Website can be smaller, it is better as navigation will be faster, people will have to look around less to find exactly what they want, etc. So the benefits for having two separate Websites may exceed having one from that point of view.
jajarvin
cps31 wrote:
Is it good to have 2 websites for the same purpose?

Why not?
When one website do not work another web site will be still working.
(if they are on different servers)
zarawatsonn
If your both sites are for same business as well as for same services, then there is no any need to run two websites. One is efficient for your business.
Simonjw
There's two ways I look at this from an Entrepreneurs standpoint.

The first one is you're operating this business with two fronts (websites). You could be doing this to cater for two different types of clientele or two completely different markets on different continents. This isn't something you see often, but some businesses do operate like this, and there is nothing wrong with it if it is working well.

The second one is being your competition. This one is actually used a lot, myself included. Depending on your niche it will differ and you could start the companies at the same time which I wouldn't suggest as a time difference would be more beneficial. Another common one is businesses buying out other businesses and not changing the ownership. This allows you to combat your competition and become the top player, kind of like insider trading.

Someone said something about your site always being up if it is on different servers. this doesn't even play a role as we have cloud based hosting which pushes your website to a browser from multiple server through the closest one to the end user. On top of that we have cloudflare to push your site out even when your hosting is down.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Simon
cps31
Simonjw wrote:
There's two ways I look at this from an Entrepreneurs standpoint.

The first one is you're operating this business with two fronts (websites). You could be doing this to cater for two different types of clientele or two completely different markets on different continents. This isn't something you see often, but some businesses do operate like this, and there is nothing wrong with it if it is working well.

The second one is being your competition. This one is actually used a lot, myself included. Depending on your niche it will differ and you could start the companies at the same time which I wouldn't suggest as a time difference would be more beneficial. Another common one is businesses buying out other businesses and not changing the ownership. This allows you to combat your competition and become the top player, kind of like insider trading.

Someone said something about your site always being up if it is on different servers. this doesn't even play a role as we have cloud based hosting which pushes your website to a browser from multiple server through the closest one to the end user. On top of that we have cloudflare to push your site out even when your hosting is down.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Simon

Hello Simon, Thank you so much for sharing such insightful idea on this. Now it will be easier to take the decision.
cps31
jajarvin wrote:
cps31 wrote:
Is it good to have 2 websites for the same purpose?

Why not?
When one website do not work another web site will be still working.
(if they are on different servers)

Yes that is the point came to my mind as well, as both the websites are maintained in individual ways.
andy26
At my last work place we had 3 websites all offering the same products and it was my job to manage seo to make sure all 3 pages are as high as possible on page 1, It worked and still works now but its very hard selling the same products but keeping content unique enough not to cause problems.
kitkat
The only problem with providing the same service on two sites is that it might limit your future growth if resources could be put into another endeavour.

I think its fine keeping two sites around as long as they prove to be more of a profit than a liability. It could be that running both sites might cause you to suffer a loss, but combining them they could let you work more efficiently and also make more profit.

I am giving advice to the best I can, given the lack of details within the question.
cps31
andy26 wrote:
At my last work place we had 3 websites all offering the same products and it was my job to manage seo to make sure all 3 pages are as high as possible on page 1, It worked and still works now but its very hard selling the same products but keeping content unique enough not to cause problems.

I can understand you well, we are doing the same for our two websites which providing the same service.
cps31
kitkat wrote:
The only problem with providing the same service on two sites is that it might limit your future growth if resources could be put into another endeavour.

I think its fine keeping two sites around as long as they prove to be more of a profit than a liability. It could be that running both sites might cause you to suffer a loss, but combining them they could let you work more efficiently and also make more profit.

I am giving advice to the best I can, given the lack of details within the question.

Thank you for explaining your points well here and I got some good insight from your reply as well.
thelad
cps31 wrote:
We have two websites which provides the same services. Both the websites are now in good ranking in Google search engine result page. Now we were thinking is it really to have 2 websites of same services or should we make any identical difference in both the websites?


I'll concentrate on 1 website (same niche)
Related topics
yagoohoogle
Tutorial: PHP Installed Modules Dynamic Reference Tool
Designing a website tips
What would u do if u are sleepy?
science vs. religion
Problems with my coding... again
Graphics Section
Intelligent Design in Schools?
Homepagesatumilyar.com - The Indonesia Million Dollar Homepa
Merge similar forums
Laptops
What are your beliefs?
God
PLease Help ME its urgent!!!!
Work From Home !
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Webmaster and Internet -> SEO and Search Engines

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.