FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

When will we run out of topics?

playfungames
So, Frihost's activity is going down and new topics are rare--specially the new interesting topics. I see old topics that go something like, "What is the last movie you say", "What color are your pants" and "Please hi-jack this topic" that are active. Those may never run out of replies because well, people always watch new movies, change their pants and are smart in hi-jacking topics.

But interesting discussions and topics are quite rare these days in Frihost. I mean, I used to find so many good topics that I haven't read and replied to. Now, when I visit this forum, I find an intersting topic and I try to reply to it, only to find that I have already replied to it not a couple of days ago or a couple of months ago, but a year ago. I mean, old topics that are years old are still active and I cannot always find new interesting ones.

So, when will Frihost really be out of topics that you have to make a post like this one to talk about it?
spinout
Ha - it run out of topics a long time ago!

the last years is just reruns...

Hm, that comes from the show 25 years of Swedish television - a comedian said the first 3 years was the real show, the rest is just reruns... hehe.
LxGoodies
Hmmm

Nice new topic. What if I start another new topic, protesting against opening useless new topics ? Would that help ?
standready
I don't create 'new' topics every often because I don't have much to offer and things I would like to address are far to personal to share in a public forum.
deanhills
playfungames wrote:

So, when will Frihost really be out of topics that you have to make a post like this one to talk about it?
Basically never. Bondings designed a Forum that cannot get "out of topic". If you don't see a topic (could mean you didn't check carefully though - but let's say there are no topics), then you have the blog system to fall back to. The sky's the limit with blogs. You can start your own blog category on your favourite script. A blog category for tips on how to make money on your computer. You can make tutorials. You can post recipes. You can gossip about Microsoft.
Insanity
That's akin to asking if people will ever run out of things to talk about. The short answer is nobody is ever going to run out of things to talk about. I think those posts you are speaking of are only there because people are lazy to think of new topics that are interesting and relevant, and are only doing the bare minimum to get by with the post count. That's also a relic of the required posting system, though, because if people are required to post, how interesting their content is goes down.
tonberry
I don't think lack of new topics is the biggest problem. Lack of enough users to make a conversation is. Basically, the world writes more stories everyday thn any reasonable amount of people would be able to talk about. Even for such trivial things like football, one weekend of matches just in top leagues in each country provide so much information and statistics that they could be analyzed for months and still there would be stuff to do. Every day brings something fresh, but when there isn't anyone to talk about it, that's a dead end Very Happy
Insanity
Yeah that's similar to what I am saying that we need people to be more enthusiastic about whta topics they want to talk about. If everyone on this forum is pretty actively engaged in making conversation and new topics, it won't really be a problem. But since a lot of folks are in this mainly to keep their points going and their hosting up, it won't matter too much because they don't care enough to make interesting topics. They will simply keep doing the bare minimum needed to keep their hosting alive. But that isn't to say that there are some really active users here that will keep replying to different topics and keep making new topics that are fresh and interesting to discuss.
playfungames
I see mixed responses from everyone. Some of us here believe that we have run out of topics. And that is the reason that I have started this topic which is sort of pointless.

Others believe that Bondings has created something or actually left behind something that will always have topics to discuss. Imagine those topics which never go out of replies because the answer always changes and people always have something to reply or something new to say. Let's hope that the people who believe the latter i.e. this forum will never run out of topics is true as I have said before, Frihost is one of my first homes on the internet and I'd like to see this home stay alive in one form or the other.
airh3ad
Yeah sometimes im run out of topic, how to start new post. good thing to newly member for sure they are fresh and they can start new topic.
Josso
This thread kinda cracks me up on several different levels..

when will we run out, I dunno, when people start creating threads saying we've run out?
Marcuzzo
Josso wrote:

when will we run out, I dunno, when people start creating threads saying we've run out?

I think that we will run out of threads when people stop creating threads about this topic Twisted Evil

HAHA
Blaster
Marcuzzo wrote:
Josso wrote:

I think that we will run out of threads when people stop creating threads about this topic Twisted Evil

HAHA

So much irony in this post. I love it.
playfungames
Blaster wrote:
Marcuzzo wrote:
Josso wrote:

HAHA

So much irony in this post. I love it.

Yeah, my head hurts thinking about it now. We are going round and round because of the lack of fresh topics.
Myrecords
Topics like styles come and go, basically not much new just said a different way.
ratanegra
Can't run out of topics. It's like running out of dissertation topics for the university. Humans do not really ever create new absolute things. We only create new relations between previously existing things, no matter how original they seem. We do have a lot of creativity to make previously unheard of connections, but as times change, new circumstances are born, and we need only link previous circumstances with new circumstances and we'll always have new topics. As long as time keeps running, we'll keep having something new to talk about, so do not worry; time will come to the rescue.
deanhills
ratanegra wrote:
Can't run out of topics. It's like running out of dissertation topics for the university. Humans do not really ever create new absolute things. We only create new relations between previously existing things, no matter how original they seem. We do have a lot of creativity to make previously unheard of connections, but as times change, new circumstances are born, and we need only link previous circumstances with new circumstances and we'll always have new topics. As long as time keeps running, we'll keep having something new to talk about, so do not worry; time will come to the rescue.
WOW! Think you need to get up and running with your blog. I love reading stuff like this. Cool

Think it is one of Bondings' farsighted ideas to include blogs with the Forum. That way, definitely, no one can run out of any topics.
ratanegra
deanhills wrote:
ratanegra wrote:
WOW! Think you need to get up and running with your blog. I love reading stuff like this. Cool

Think it is one of Bondings' farsighted ideas to include blogs with the Forum. That way, definitely, no one can run out of any topics.

Haha, you're right. On the blogs, people can even make a diary and narrate their perspective of the day that just passed. Just a way to abuse the automatically spawning topics.
Da Rossa
I've been trying my best to open new discussions, but some of them are simply getting zero replies.

I think it's time we think about the new users' perspectives. They just won't find this forum visually attractive with this zero-decade style. This by itself could bring some oxygen!
LxGoodies
On all online forums, there's only a certain hard core of users that stays years.

Like any other forum, FriHost had a niche, a VERY successfull period 2005-2010.. and became ever more silent ever since. No more than natural, this is internet.

Avoid it ? Change the layout, add a portal. Open up blogs with a better template. Add new topics, remove old ones. Advertise free hosting strategy, embrace the open source community, Frihost has a lot of developers on board.
hown
no we cant run out of topics,
just create one,anything you can write,the world is changing everyday
airh3ad
i did not post a while ago because i din't have a god topic.
Da Rossa
I'm also feeling the lack of new content. We used to have such a thriving community!
Any ideas?
Haiku2016
deanhills wrote:
playfungames wrote:

Basically never. Bondings designed a Forum that cannot get "out of topic". If you don't see a topic (could mean you didn't check carefully though - but let's say there are no topics), then you have the blog system to fall back to. The sky's the limit with blogs. You can start your own blog category on your favourite script. A blog category for tips on how to make money on your computer. You can make tutorials. You can post recipes. You can gossip about Microsoft.

And that's the genius of Frihost, and of Bondings. I mean, it's this smart or what? Assuming, of course, that he's actually making money out of this and not just doing it out of the goodness of his heart.
Haiku2016
Da Rossa wrote:
I'm also feeling the lack of new content. We used to have such a thriving community!
Any ideas?

Yes. Three. If you want a more thriving community, you need more people. To do that, you have to:
1. Be more active publicizing Frihost. Get it into Google's hit lists. You guys would know how to do this, I suppose. I don't, Sad.
2. Be more friendly. Welcome the newcomers, show them around, help them get started.
3. Maintain the Forums. Write into them. Reply to threads. Start new ones. Don't let them stagnate.

But this takes a lot of effort. It like you're living in an old house and yes, the line's not working, the plumbing is a bit short, there's only 1 toilet but it's clean and livable. The people here are happy the way it is, especially the landlord. He still fixes the lights and stuff and hey, you don't have to pay rent.

So, why fix it? It actually ain't broke. If you want to have new content, start one or more. It's up to us to make it as active as we want. Or can put the effort into it.
Haiku2016
airh3ad wrote:
i did not post a while ago because i din't have a god topic.

Just keep posting. Topics that don't work will be left behind. Topics that are interesting will be picked up. Just keep posting. You won't know if it's a good topic until you post it. It's like we're all sitting around waiting for people to talk. Someone's gotta start. And if nothing works, try a joke, put on the music, serve some food.
Da Rossa
Quote:
1. Be more active publicizing Frihost. Get it into Google's hit lists. You guys would know how to do this, I suppose. I don't, Sad.
2. Be more friendly. Welcome the newcomers, show them around, help them get started.
3. Maintain the Forums. Write into them. Reply to threads. Start new ones. Don't let them stagnate.

Seems nice! But:

* I don't know either how to "Google Hit" some resource. If people find a new way to promote I'll do my best to help.
* For what it's worth, I am friendly. Sometimes I say things that not everyone likes to hear (read) but I'm a nice person.
* This is my struggle. Doesn't take only 1 person to do that. I'm still the last poster in the topics I replied yesterday.

Smile
Haiku2016
Da Rossa wrote:
Quote:

Seems nice! But:

* I don't know either how to "Google Hit" some resource. If people find a new way to promote I'll do my best to help.
* For what it's worth, I am friendly. Sometimes I say things that not everyone likes to hear (read) but I'm a nice person.
* This is my struggle. Doesn't take only 1 person to do that. I'm still the last poster in the topics I replied yesterday.

Smile

1. It's called SEO or something like that. I don't know if we need Bondings to do it for us or whether or not some of the moderators or oldtimers here can do it without his help.
2. The people here are friendly, don't get me wrong. But I had to make quite a bit of effort to get to know what to do. I don't know how many newbies we have, or whether or not they stay. Maybe it's better that we let them go if they are not "serious", I don't know. But if you want to increase membership, it'll be nice if I was approached when I joined and could share a thread or emails until I sorted myself out. I basically had to explore the website until I figured it out. @deanhills was a lot of help but still, it took quite a bit of persistence and patience on my end. But maybe that's a good thing. Some other chatrooms welcome you and assign a moderator to you whom you can email to and fro until everything is sorted out. May be too much work, seeing that we all have our day jobs.
3. Ya, me too. Not sure what we can do about that.

All we can do is to keep trying, Smile.
Da Rossa
Quote:
1. It's called SEO or something like that. I don't know if we need Bondings to do it for us or whether or not some of the moderators or oldtimers here can do it without his help.

Ah, the Search Engine Optimization. It requires some tweak from the web development department. And some knowledge.

Quote:
2. The people here are friendly, don't get me wrong
I didn't!

Quote:
I basically had to explore the website until I figured it out.

See, you were one among the few that took the initiative to explore the site and forum.

Quote:

Keep walking! Always looking ahead Very Happy
Haiku2016
Da Rossa wrote:
Quote:

Ah, the Search Engine Optimization. It requires some tweak from the web development department. And some knowledge.

Quote:
2. The people here are friendly, don't get me wrong
I didn't!

Quote:

See, you were one among the few that took the initiative to explore the site and forum.

Quote:

Keep walking! Always looking ahead Very Happy

Hopefully, no one comes and stab you in the back, lol.
Haiku2016
Da Rossa wrote:
[
Quote:

So, it depends on whether you are happy to leave it at that or do you want to reach out and get more members. All it takes is just some sign from Bondings. I think the general sense is to let it be. As long as Bondings is happy and the site seems to be doing alright.
chasbeen
You used to be able to buy a chocolate bar called "topic" in the UK but these either exist as a new name or they were discontinued.

There's no such thing as an "old topic"
Marcuzzo
Guys, we've been over this for at least 3 times in the last decade.
A lot of members would welcome change, others don't.
I would welcome change, in fact I was one of the few that already bought up the topic a few years ago.

The fact is, Bondings is the only one with access to the site's directory and because this site is running a highly modified version of phpbb2 it would make it very hard to migrate to a newer version. Coding a platform from scratch would be a better option but this would require a lot of work.

Even if we would create a private repository and worked together to build a decent platform, there wouldn't be any guarantee that bondings would migrate the site.

If there would be I was already working out an analysis and initial scope draft
Haiku2016
Marcuzzo wrote:
Guys, we've been over this for at least 3 times in the last decade.
A lot of members would welcome change, others don't.
I would welcome change, in fact I was one of the few that already bought up the topic a few years ago.

The fact is, Bondings is the only one with access to the site's directory and because this site is running a highly modified version of phpbb2 it would make it very hard to migrate to a newer version. Coding a platform from scratch would be a better option but this would require a lot of work.

Even if we would create a private repository and worked together to build a decent platform, there wouldn't be any guarantee that bondings would migrate the site.

I think what we're trying to explore here is: is there anything we can do without needing Bondings to change the platform, Smile. I think it's great that we are prepared to continue asking this question. Maybe someone may come up with an answer that will work. You never know. I always feel that if you want something badly enough, you'll find a way to do it.
deanhills
Haiku2016 wrote:
I think what we're trying to explore here is: is there anything we can do without needing Bondings to change the platform, Smile.
Bondings modified the platform specifically so that no one can change the platform. Frihost is his personal baby. He invested hundreds of hours in it so naturally would have been very protective of his handiwork, particularly since so much extra coding had gone into the phpBB script that was quite unique and worth protecting.
Da Rossa
Quote:

Quote:

Bondings modified the platform specifically so that no one can change the platform. Frihost is his personal baby. He invested hundreds of hours in it so naturally would have been very protective of his handiwork, particularly since so much extra coding had gone into the phpBB script that was quite unique and worth protecting.

I deeply understand that. I think the same about my site: my creation. But then I realised my site, notasdeaula.org, is far from being in the current web standards. The content itself is golden I get lots of compliments and stories of people saying they got saved by me. However, the READABILITY is somewhat terrible. There is no mobile-first approach, nothing beyond HTML and CSS, not a single JS and no database to optimize data retrieval. I wish I had time and knowledge to update the looks but I don't. And I suffer every night to know it's decaying in acceptance: the zero decade is gone!

I SO wish Bondings could come here to say hello! But I'd completely understand if he prefers to stay in the dark: if he comes back to give the good news, the clock starts ticking and the pressure will make it unpleasant on him. OTOH, if he says the site is staying the way it is, some people could give up Frih because "hope for change would be gone". Am I right?
deanhills
[quote="Da Rossa"]
Quote:

I SO wish Bondings could come here to say hello!
So do I! I'd give my eye teeth for one of his funny threads - like both educational and tongue in the cheek combined. Like this one for example:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-991863.html#991863

Da Rossa wrote:
But I'd completely understand if he prefers to stay in the dark: if he comes back to give the good news, the clock starts ticking and the pressure will make it unpleasant on him. OTOH, if he says the site is staying the way it is, some people could give up Frih because "hope for change would be gone". Am I right?
Nobody knows with Bondings. I sometimes think that for him Frihost is something special that he can't participate in, but he doesn't want to mothball or close it down. As long as there are people like you and I posting here, and Frihost has some active members with a few hosting accounts, he's happy to keep it going.

I don't see any changes happening soon although who knows, I sometimes wonder whether if Bondings has kids, he'll give them Frihost to play with at a certain age. I guess then we'll get plenty of changes. Maybe by Bondings Jr. Razz
Da Rossa
deanhills wrote:
So do I! I'd give my eye teeth for one of his funny threads - like both educational and tongue in the cheek combined. Like this one for example:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-991863.html#991863

LOL, this was the funniest part:

Quote:
At first I was rather sceptical about the ability of water to remember stuff, so I actually test these claims. I took an English dictionary, ripped it in pieces, dissolved it in sterilized water, repeated the above mentioned diluting and shaking a high number of times and than drank it. And guess what? Before this experiment I didn't know a single word of English and now I'm completely fluent in it! It worked like a miracle. Very Happy

As for the other paragraph, lets hope Frih keeps going ahead!
Marcuzzo
Da rossa, don't be fooled by dean. The real dean took off years ago and bondings is now posting with Dean's account.
Twisted Evil

Back on topic:
1. There is no way to modify the forum without admin access and only dean erm, I mean Bondings, has access.
2. To change this platform we would need to write a new website and a migration script which, without knowing the actual code used at present, will require reverse engineering.

3. The site is (somewhat) closed in the sence that it doesn't have a public API ( also something I once suggested but bondings didn't like the idea as this could potentially be exploited).
So working on a new site that posts the contents here will not work.

I for one don't feel like working for months on a project that will not be used so we've got 2 options ( actually 3)

1. We spam bondings to update the site or have him grant permission to build a new site in which he's the project lead.
Like a community built platform in which I'm willing to participate

2. Accept the fact that it will not change and get over it.

3. Leave frihost... Sad
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
Da rossa, don't be fooled by dean. The real dean took off years ago and bondings is now posting with Dean's account.
Twisted Evil (
Laughing A good one!

Marcuzzo wrote:

1. We spam bondings to update the site or have him grant permission to build a new site in which he's the project lead.
I've been spamming Bondings for years, but no response. I just have this feeling that maybe he's given his e-mail account to a tech guy to check on. The tech guy has instructions to only work with real tech server issues. Like at end of 2015 we needed the Security Certificate to be updated for Server 1. I write an e-mail and it got fixed. I write about Forum coding that needs to be updated for Direct Admin accounts or our statistics tool, and nothing happens. Reminds me, I should keep the spam up, maybe the caretaker tech may forget to look at e-mails if there are none being sent any longer. Or the Tech Guy may think we're not alive any longer. Wink
Da Rossa
Quote:

You know what? That crossed my mind for some time!

Quote:
2. To change this platform we would need to write a new website and a migration script which, without knowing the actual code used at present, will require reverse engineering.

I for one don't feel like working for months on a project that will not be used so we've got 2 options ( actually 3)

1. That's disencouraging. 2. I understand perfectly.

Quote:
3. Leave frihost... Sad

I don't plan on that.