FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is pascal your main Language.

Possum
Im just curious if any of you know and use the pascal programming language at all.

I guess that means Lazarus or Delphi.

thx
badai
Was the first language I learned in college.

That was like 25 years ago. Nowadays I think they straight away learn C++.
Possum
For me Pascal reads better than c++. I love the beginning ...end instead of the {...}

I've decided to immerse myself in Pascal but learn the other languages by looking for the Javscript, php equivalent code.

25 years ago the Apple used Pascal..They were the days
amagard
Pascal is actually a great language and has been still in use for educational purpose for a long time even languages like C and Java became more dominant in real projects.
I have been programming an Turbo Pascal a lot in the 90th and I remember I learnd object oriented programming first using Turbo Pascal.
Turbo Pascal came with probably the first version of an IDE I have seen, purely text based of course:

LxGoodies
haaaa that's Turbo 4 Pascal ! Great workhorse, used it for years. Builder too.

I started out with tiny Turbo 3 Pascal in 1985. Back then we had a 64k max footprint for anything (.COM), running in DOS 3.1 or so. To have more bytes, you had to write Turbo Com-files and terminate-stay-resident call INT 27, a user interrupt. DLL's did not exist yet.

The version you show had max 640k, and you could create .EXE with it. I lived with a boundary of 640k for years.. until socalled DOS-extender came in. Using a CONFIG.SYS device you could use your 2M internal memory for Ram-disk, or memory buffers.

amagard wrote:
first IDE

In the current shape, it was.. Menu on top..

Turbo-3 was an 38k executable file with compiler and linker and WORDSTAR-editor built in. And blazing fast and bug-free, like Borland always delivered. But everyting operated full screen. Editor too. At the time, I used a Hercules graphics card and a monochrome amber monitor.

My main language was Pascal until some 2 years ago, Delphi 7, which can be ported quite easily to Linux with Lazarus. Now I do C# VS-2013, can't afford the Embarcadero XE license.. Good old days are over. Pascal could be over, unless someone saves it by releasing an affordable .net IDE for it.
amagard
As a matter of fact I started with Turbo Pascal 3 as well, which looked like this:

In these early days we developed a complex manufacturing tool control and material handling system entirely with DOS and Turbo Pascal, everything within 640k memory, as you mentioned, LxGoodies.

We developed an own package for network communication and one for a text based but full screen user interface. All these programs had to fit into 640 kilobytes.

Amazing when you see how much memory modern software is consuming.
Possum
I so wish I had discovered Turbo Pascal back in 85...
LxGoodies
amagard wrote:
As a matter of fact I started with Turbo Pascal 3 as well, which looked like this:

In these early days we developed a complex manufacturing tool control and material handling system entirely with DOS and Turbo Pascal, everything within 640k memory, as you mentioned, LxGoodies.

We developed an own package for network communication and one for a text based but full screen user interface. All these programs had to fit into 640 kilobytes.

Hehe nice image, brings back memories. The files you show were tools that came with T3 and T4.

I loved graphics, that is poking pixels, remember "The Game Of Life",

http://www.schulers.com/jpss/pascal/lifetp.htm

TURTLE.PAS was a graphics language for kids. MoveTo LineTo basically. Of course I refused to use it Cool I rolled my own Bresenham liner,

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/639383/line-drawing-using-bresenham-algorithm

.. putting the pixels in bits of memory range $A000, $0B00:0000 or $B800:0000 depending on the graphics card detected. Poking pixels directly was the only way to draw fast.

amagard wrote:
communications

Banyan Vines in my (work-) time, but I did not have the skills, nor to manage it nor to program it. I've been aquanted with protocol from hell, the RS-232 cable. If comm was gone: reconnect and wait for a non-timout or repeat. ow ow ow

A project I did with T3 and tasm (->obj) was an RS-232 interrupt "driver" for int 0C (COM1). It gathered bytes and translated the bytes into a record that was exposed to T3 COM-file in free Bios memory space. The T3 program peeks the Bios-space in a loop and presents the status onscreen. It was blazing fast, but single client. The driver part was made resident with INT 27, after connecting its handler prefix to interrupt 0C. The prefix handler allows a DOS user (e.g. a .BAT file) to process the RS232-input too, e.g. for archiving/logging in a textfile.

Quote:

Yea indeed. It's just logging company production events: transfer, store, visualise.. in essence it is not much different from my current work. Only difference is, a C# .NET MVC 5.0 footprint exceeds 140MB source, library and objects. 6.1MB deployed files. Most of these tasks, also nowadays, could be done with a socket, executed in a single 58k .com, 1200 lines Pascal.. 100x as fast as .net C# MVC Laughing
loveandormoney
Possum wrote:
Im just curious if any of you know and use the pascal programming language at all.

thx

Congratulations. Pascal is the best language of the world because of ll.
Are You a beginner?
Start with Freepascal.

Thank You.
Possum
Freepascal is fantastic. Also they have a very helpful community.
loveandormoney
Thats true. You can start as beginner without any experience and they help You. Thank You for Your post.
loveandormoney
We teach sick people special sick young people Pascal, so they learn concentration and can find a job.
Possum
Quote:
We teach sick people special sick young people Pascal

Who is We?

Anyway you have my respect!

I made an app from Pascal (Delphi) about 20 years ago. I released it on the net and a school for people with disabilities thanked me. Wow... I was so happy with that...
loveandormoney
You can read more about us on our homepage. You can find it on frihost. Its the same url like our ID here in the Forum.
NGO.

Why do You use Delphi?
We discuss now
to build a GUI in Pascal for ourselves and for create WWW Stuff in Pascal.

Conitnue using Pascal. It is relaxing.
zac_ngatia
Possum wrote:

thx

Im impressed by pascal especially Freepascal+Lazarus. I have never seen a very rich compiler that compiles to many OS. Its top notch. The best of it is free and open source.
The downside they are not many free tutorials like other languges and it does not compile from freepascal to js.

Variation of specific pascal are
FlashPascal
MidletPascal recent one Ampaside(lazarus project)
PascalABC.net
mypascal(freepascal)
jajarvin
Possum wrote:

Yes I have used Pascal.
Pascal was published in 1970 by Niklaus Wirth as a small and efficient language intended to
encourage good programming practices using structured programming and data structuring.

In the year 1974 I studied at university this language.

About ten years later I once again used Pascal in my work.
I worked with Turbo Pascal. It was at that time a modern IDE, but today
it can be consider as a oldie.
loveandormoney
Turbo Pascla is very good.
Do u use TP7?
Did You try Freepascal?