FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you keep yourself consistent?

zacky
In General, regardless of behind reason, what keeps you motivate and consistent at any certainty to your goals?
deanhills
Passion. If I really want something I'll work at it consistently. Also stubbornness sometimes. Difficulty to let go once I've got my mind on something, particularly on computer related things. Have to fix it no matter what.
standready
Motivation, I agree with Dean.
Certainty? Everything is subject to change in life.
zacky
Indeed, that's brilliant answer from dean. Actually that's I think what I am looking for, a priceless solution that keeps me in shape regardless of trials may come down the road while achieving my goals.
tonberry
Like Dean said, passion is the best tool for consistency. It still doesn't guarantee 100% consistency for most people, I think. No matter how much we love something, when we poured our heart and soul into training for a competition, for example, and we don't even finish third, frustration will take over and for the time being the idea of practicing is enough to want to puke and the energy and motivation internal silo needs to be refilled before we can go on Very Happy

Nothing beats it though! Spending a lot of time on doing something when we don't really love it is like hitting a brickwall with head, it's toxic.

One other thing that works though is just doing something endlessly until it becomes second nature and we don't think about it. It works best with stuff that can be at least partly "automated" and doesn't work that well with stuff that requires creativity - as being creative without being passionate about something probably takes twice more energy to get the same result.
Da Rossa
Wow, deep, philosophical question, difficult to discuss. But it's a good one.

What keep me going on? Not exactly the same thing as Deanhills but close: instead of passion, I like the thrill about being close to finish a large project. And life is composed of projects.
mshafiq
I need courage, thrill and motivation for completing complex projects.
mshafiq
I need courage, thrill and motivation for completing complex projects.
spinout
i am stubborn, combined with beeing mean Smile
Possum
I need to learn CSS, php, javascript and SQL. But I love Pascal.

So I learn Pascal and then see what is the equivalent on these other languages.

I get my motivation from Pascal which flows over to CSS, php, javascript and SQL.
Insanity
I tried when I was smaller to make sure that I had good discipline in order to finsih my homework and tings like that. I feel a lot of that has transferred over now that I'm no longer that young, but I still have things to do. Throughout college, I think it was an exercise in those four years to be training my work ethic and my discipline to finish the jobs that I set out to do. Because to me college isn't just about learning the subjects that you are in class for, but to learn about the study habits and other mental things you can learn in order to keep yourself ready for your future jobs. You don't necessary remember all the things you learn in college or university, but you will remember how to study hard and how to retain information, skills that will transfer over when you enter the real world and exit the world of schooling.

The motivation side of things is just about what you like to do and why you want to do it. It changes depending on the task you are trying to accomplish. Some would be motivated by what they are doing because it interests them, but other times they want to do it to ensure they have a good job. Different people have different motivations for different things they do.
Da Rossa
Quote:
I need to learn CSS, php, javascript and SQL. But I love Pascal.

So I learn Pascal and then see what is the equivalent on these other languages.

I get my motivation from Pascal which flows over to CSS, php, javascript and SQL.

Look, albeit a fancy example, I got what you said. CSS, PHP, JavaScript and SQL are contemporary and widely used languages, but CSS and HTML are not proper programming languages. SQL is a database administration language. So your approach might be right: when learning another (speaking) language, you can do nothing but to compare with your native language. Go try learning Portuguese without side-viewing it with English.

The same could apply for the concepts in a programing language: this is the Significant Learning, a Learning concept brought to us by psychologists David Ausubel and Joseph Donald Novak. Learn how to learn! Try taking a look in here/
ratanegra
I do not keep myself consistent to most goals, but for the ones where I do keep my consistency, it is mostly out of sheer determination and remembering the reason for my actions. For example, when I go to the gym and I am exercising, I feel as if I needed to stop because I am tired and demotivated. However, I look back to the reason why I joined the gym, my physical inaptitude, and I keep doing what I am doing because the reason is still valid; I still need it.

And when I am pursuing something that requires some effort, I just think about what I want, and every time that I want to stop, I ask myself "would I rather lose it than make the effort?" and as long as the answer is no, which is often, I keep doing what I need to do to achieve my purpose.