FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DO YOU SUDOKU?

EVILSKAAP
Its that question that creates excitement in some and irritation in others! WELL DO YOU? Im talking to you guys out there that takes it up as a sport! That never quits no matter what! How often do you play and then complete? And which level of difficulty can you complete in 15 minutes. I am out of practice so i can only do tough (up to 33 given), sometimes cruel (up to 27 given). Check out www.websudoku.com for an online browser version! with over 2 billion available!
n0obie4life
Get me away from these. They just kill me.

tidruG should remember this Laughing

Anyway, we have a member here that hosts a sudoku site.

http://www.sudoku.frihost.net/
photon
just started it , although i dont do it regularly. even though its just a game, i think it can help to increase the logical reasoning.

time consuming, but fun Smile
natalie
oh, a math game, i know how to play it , it is very easy to do, all of them are not hard...Don't you think so ??
EVILSKAAP
natalie wrote:
oh, a math game, i know how to play it , it is very easy to do, all of them are not hard...Don't you think so ??
Well no. Sometimes even the hardest sudoku can be done in under 15 minutes, it just depends on how focused you are and how they present the numbers. Even with 35+ numbers i still struggle in the beginning to see the "most logical" starting point. Have any of you noticed groups of numbers repeating? How are you using them to solve the sudoku?
byt
no, ain't even got a clue what you're on about
Mark999111
we had to do it in maths 1 day, it was really frustrating and took ages

not really my thing
Phi
Looks challenging XD I haven't tried it, can't even get my brain to work at 1AM >__>
noexes89
I always get a feeling when I'm do a sudoku that a computer made the thing and could do it much better than I. It's relaxing and brain pumping to do them, but I always found that aspect to be kinda off putting.
SilverDogg
im supposed to get one of those little games soon (like a little gameboy, but only sudoku). i wonder what happened to it ;/. hope i get it soon, so i can play on the bus to school and such =D
Richous05
Laughing i suck at it i hate it Wink
SunburnedCactus
Once you learn the techniques it becomes a relatively easy way to waste lots of time.
g_unit90
www.sudoku.com
mtemizel
I sometimes play sudoku but I don't like it.

Thanks for links. I will try to look.
btocakci
They sometimes make me go crazy, cuz some of them are really hard to solve. But if i find the proper difficulty level for me then i really enjoy it.Sometimes i cant stand up from my chair; even if i do, im touring whole home thinking..And when i find the number, i really be happy as if Ive found a new planet. The only thing make me unhappy is that there are much more sudokus like this to solve. I cant manage to give up.I love chinese.. Very Happy
MistaKiula
OMG.. I have no patience for this x.x..
EVILSKAAP
From the limited response i take that the sudoku community is very limited and that everyone that could reply probably has. Well from my side, i bought "THE ULTIMATE BOOK OF SUDOKU 1" with 401 puzzles. Also see www.sudokumania.com . NJOY
CMA
I have a small Sudoku book with about 130 puzzles. I'm not done yet, though... Confused

Hmmm the time I spend on a Sudoku really depends, be it easy or evil. I've managed to finish evil ones on 20 minutes, but I've already spent the same time on "easy" ones. The numbers are almost always against me and hide on places I can't seem to find.
riv_
Man, I could waste a lot of time on these thngs... Don't you guys get sucked in?
My real weakness is logic problems and crosssums.
Anyone else do those?
(No links to post today though... must stay focussed...)
Rubstah
I hate them and I love them.....and my brother is really hooked, I ain't (yet).
IceCameron
I have finished one of the books and am half way through the hardest ones in the second, no need to say but I LOVE IT!!
SilverDogg
i got a book from my girlfriends parents. sit on the bus everytime i go to and from school and solve them =). so far i have only solved around 20-30 of them, but im constantly working on it. it also got some special sudokus =D. one is 16x16, and that one is really hard Wink.

and i still havent recieved my little sudokugameboy =(
tribe
Why did this game get so exciting? My newspaper now has one everyday in it and Barnes and Noble's has a whole section dedicated to it.

I am pretty good. I play on one site and they go by points you get right and then if you switch one you lose points but I got over 3,000 points in 11 games!

And now they hvae a board game: Just in time for Christmas The Daily Telegraph has received stocks of Imagination Entertainment's new sudoku board game. The news that the game is now available in the UK comes after reports of record sales in the US and Australia, including a huge order for the game that features Michael Mepham’s puzzles by Toys'R'Us in the United States. UK customers can purchase the game from Sudoku game at the Telegraph or phone 0870 155 7222.
Nameless
Irritation. Definetly irritation. Sudoku is possibly, in my opinion, the most pathetic and stupid puzzle, ever. I just don't see the god-damn attration in it. I know a few people who enjoy doing one every time we get a paper (my own father for one...) and it drived me... well, not insane but exactly full sanity either.

I mean, once you figure out how to solve the puzzles (which took me... about ten minutes) you just use the same method on every... single... puzzle... what's the point?
Nicekiwi9
mmmm sudoku.....

almost like count doku but not quite an evil, but i still find it bloody hard, lol Embarassed
LostOverThere
I like doing them in the newspaper.
I can do HARD, but not Very HARD.

They're great fun.

Sometimes I have a Sudoku match with my Dad, we copy them, so we have 2 of the exact one, and the person who finishes it first, wins. Razz
Kestrel
"Congratulations! You solved the Sudoku in 15 minutes, 55 seconds!"

I love this game. Haven't played in about 5 years. Embarassed
erlendhg
I love Sudoku so much, that my brother and I have made a Sudoku assistant (solve, rate, make, share, print... sudoku)

www.sudoku.frihost.net
karysky
Never heard of it!

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I love math problems !
kansloos
I find it hard to make Sudoku puzzels.
And I hate it when I make a mistake and find out about it later.

So I need to do large parts all over again.

:'(
52tease
How did Sudoku just become AMAZINGLY POPULAR in the past half year?

Where was it beforehand and which celebrity made it so?
Borse
Its out at K-mart here in a handheld game. I like to play it cause the rules are so simple that even I can figure it out (given enough time) Laughing
And as I understand it Sudoku has been popular in Japan for awhile. It's just that we finally found out about it Smile
windrei
haha, i really don't know how to play it. The instruction is too long, so i give up~ Laughing
donkeypoodle
What the heck is sudoku anyway?!? All I know is that it's this wierd word game that kind of looks like a word search.
supersonic
I'm fairly good at these. I really just need to write it out. If you look at it later it looks like a code that no one could understand...not even me Laughing
supersonic
donkeypoodle wrote:
What the heck is sudoku anyway?!? All I know is that it's this wierd word game that kind of looks like a word search.

It is a [Insert Country name here] puzzle that is in a 9X9 broken into 9 3X3 squares. Then in some of the squares are numbers. You goal is to make all horizontal, vertical, and diagonal lines use the numbers 1-9 only once. On top of that in each of thoose 3x3 squares you can only use the numbers 1-9 each too. When you only get like 5 numbers to start with they can get really hard.
Ikonoklast
www.sudoku.name :This is a great site for playing online. 4 levels of difficulty, timer and time limit. help me i am addicited :)
Nayru
Omg, I hate those things. Everytime I'm in the train, everyone is trying to solve those stupid things. Maybe I'm just to dumb, becouse I never completed one of them Confused
boringest
it's just by trial and error really...and sometimes going back in step...as it's a 9x9 box...and you can only fill in nos 1-9 in them, just complete them in any sequence.
Nayru
I might try it again sometime Confused I probably couldn't solve it becouse it was a bit too early in the morning Razz
nilsmo
I can do an Easy puzzle in under 5 minutes quite easily. I can also beat down a Hard puzzle if you give me half an hour.
lockwolf
I Fail! It screws with my mind! I think I get it right then I find out its wrong!
[FuN]goku
hehe love em
VincentBlack
My parents are completely obsessed with Sudoku, they do at least one a day together. Ever since the first day they came out in the Journal here they've been doing them religiously. I'm not sure whats so great about them but I guess they have nothing better to do. Somehow they've convinced my senile old Aunt that I'm as obsessed with them as they are, I haven't done a single one yet but my aunt got me at least fifteen-million SUDOKU books. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my parents have been planning this all along. They just wanted more SUDOKU books for themselves and they used me to get them! I'll get them back for this...now every time I go to my aunt's house she forces me into a game of SUDOKU along with some of her nicotine reeking food.
arialskye
Soduku is eeeevil. It keeps me from my homework and work work and just generally sidetracks me. I love it though. yay for logic puzzles....now if suduko would stop being so clique!
satheesh
Hi,

Sudoku is rather said to be a game of sheer luck and oppurtunity which you make use of. Its not so challenging as the puzzles or the brain teasers. It cannot be considered a great reasoning game as it can be solved easily if you are able to hit upon the starting numbers easily.

Sudoku when compared to a puzzle is not so brain stimulating, its can be better cited as a time pass for the ones who have lot of time to pass. Its not meant for the people who want some real challenges to stimulate their brain. if stimulation is what you need then you can always go for the crosswords that are more verbally stimulating.

Regards,
Satheesh

Note : If you like the reply, please donate some FRIH$ to the author of this reply and that's me.
redbomber
Yes i do Su-do-ku's although i am not mightily good. Just started hard ones but am struggling a bit Sad
ekingisrael
no i don't! i can't enjoy number games-it makes me sick!,don't like anything involve with numbers! Shocked Exclamation Idea Arrow
matt87
I love this game but sometimes it drives me crazy.
James Bond-007
I've done a few over the pst few weeks.

Its a good way to suck up time if you are waiting for something in a mentally healthy way Very Happy
rainynightstarz
we did in the math club one day >.< yup i am a math nerd, but its all good!

It was pretty fun. I did it few times at home by meself.

However, i'm very slow, around 20 min for a hard one, any tips on getting faster? It would be a cool skill to have.
I'm sure this thing how u think faster and think in different directions. Good exercise for the brain, hehe.
eqfan
i like those maths game,very fun Smile
vignesh_natraj
I dont like them .I have not even bothered to solve single table.till now.
I don't understand what is so amazing about it.
statusfashions
well i hads completed some sukodu puzzles in the newspapers. But Just For Timepass.
Never Took Them seriously.
Will Do More If I have Enough Time.
Smile
thiamshui
This is booring.. I hate MATHS!! Makes me mad..
joe_nl
I really, really love Sudoku!
In the Netherlands there are loads of peoples who play it at school, and so do I.
Somethimes when I got bored I play it online at websudoku.com, I tried al lot of programs and websites, but this one is just the best!

Sudoku 4 life!
stiffler
I do these on occasion, they are pretty fun. But I would rather solve brain twister puzzles.
MistaKiula
I did one in a newspaper.. It says that if I did it under 13 mins I'm a genius (the best one) but I finished at 7 mins.. does that mean I'm a super genius? lOL I'm joking.. but yeah I did finish at 7 mins, no mistakes.
RiCtee
I just love Sudoku.....really challenging & makes you feel your brain is growing!! I can solve almost all of the puzzles, just a matter of time. From 10 minutes (easy as) to > 70 hours (macho hard). But I really can't solve those Samurai Sudokus. Don't know if you guys heard of them, but they consists of 5 normal Sudoku puzzles in them: 2 at the top, 1 middle, 1 bottom.

I see many people don't like Sudoku......why not get the thickest Sudoku puzzle books from the local chinese-cheap-mart, sit on a public spot (& I mean really), take out your pencil & eraser, and put your focus in the puzzle whilst you listen to your favourite mp3.
Pikokola
Arghh no more math today... It's more than enough for today, It's about 2 Hours of Mathematics Exam, Integer, Logaritma, Trigonometry, and many more, matrix, NOOOO..... Maybe tomorrow....

Oh yeah, did anybody know a uzzle named Rose Around the Petals?
myrevolt
my teacher gives out sudoku sheets as extra credit sometimes. i usually dont have time so i go here: http://www.scanraid.com/sudoku.htm Twisted Evil
EVILSKAAP
Okay so being on holiday for two weeks i had not touched a single sudoku or even gave it a single thought. So on my way back home i decided to get the journey over by trying a difficult one and i did not really get far. So keep doing sudoku everyday to stay high on logic! Holidays make you lazy! NJOY 2006
hcjgh
i like it but you have to be in a mood to "play" it. I like the part you get everything right:) and i really hate when i discover that i got one wrong and have to spend half an hour to find the mistake!!!
Jazz
Cool Logic really isnt my thing if you know what i'm saying, its takes up time that i could be using to play football (English of course)
MadPhantom
nice sudoku >.>
Klaw 2
on www.miniclip.con is every day a new sodoku!
your site is also great

K
Liu
I'm thinking about implementing the algorithm via a coded program that would solve these puzzles just for fun.
Catastrophic Fairy
Oh gosh. D: The evil S word of DOOM which I hear daily from my mother. x.x Our local news paper every Saturday I think it is, comes with a mini-magazine from Time Life? something like that. Anyway, in the magazine, is always one of those puzzles and my mother will ALWAYS sit there and play it. She ignores almost everything until it's completed. o.o As for me? Heh... I couldn't complete one to save my life. ^^;;
Jack_Hammer
No, I don't sudoku.
Wink
Sukozu
Smile I looove it, its my savior from all those boring lecturehours!
we have a daily puzzle in the free newspaper on the way to school and we all sit at the back row racing to see who finishes first whenever we get a boring lecturer Smile
Scorpio
Naa, I don't SUDOKU either.

I prefer crosswords, atleast I get to improve my english that way.

Since everybody is going crazy after sudokus, I dare to be different Cool
Gieter
I agree with scorpio (now you're not different anymore), because I find them rather boring. OK, it really may be thrilling to make the numbers match, but I just don't feel attracted to it. Sad
theo
i haven't try
but how to play?
EVILSKAAP
Well its been a while since i have checked this thread, but the general feeling is that sudoku has become overrated. Anyway i do not play it that much, neither do i enjoy it as much as i usually did. Maybe this weekend i may by myself an electronic SUDOKU HANDHELD game. It costs about $30. But hey, if it is fun i will be happy. NJOY
Scorpio
Gieter wrote:
I agree with scorpio (now you're not different anymore), because I find them rather boring. OK, it really may be thrilling to make the numbers match, but I just don't feel attracted to it. Sad

Darn. Just lost a chance to be different Very Happy
windval
it is a good game you know~~

i like it vey much

i think it is a challenge~~

but sometimes it is too difficult~~
jostor
Yes, occationally I play, I play on a swedish site when i do so... However I don't lite when they are too hard, easy ones are enough Wink
I think it's quite entertaining sometimes...
g_unit90
I don't like this game
{name here}
I play sudoku sometimes - with the sudoku solver I downloaded from qb45.com in the Miscellaneous section! Twisted Evil
Yazz
I've been playing Sudoku for about 2 months now... I'm usually very busy, so I dont get to play it often, but I've finished about 35 of them. I got them all from newspapers. Now that I don't get a chance to even get papers now, I bought a small book with a bunch of the puzzles in them.

Right now I'm stuck on a puzzle and it's driving me mad. Anyone want to offer some help?

This is it (The 0's are the ones I can't figure out):

060 870 009
004 190 006
090 006 081

400 768 913
000 953 600
936 421 875

519 007 068
200 619 500
600 080 190
secretdreams
I really am good at maths but when it comes to sudoku i really am rubbish , i dnt no how to do it
dz9c
Addicting game some times. We do it in school all the time and I fnish them in like 10-15 minutes and its for extre credit so yea cool Sudoku is not a bad new game for when your bored
boysrule
SUDOKU? Always see it at newspaper.. but never really intend to do it.. i hate numbers~ and that is why Wink but it seems to develop good IQ for you brains ...
p.otten
somtimes i do the sudoku in the newspaper.
a copple of weeks ago i saw the wk finale sudoku in my newspaper.
it was verry hard, and i can't solve it.
greets
jabapyth
i did sudoku a while ago, was pretty good at it, but for some reason i stopped. I should take it up agian. its a good exersize for the brain. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Soulfire
*Sighs*

Our math teacher introduced Sudoku to us as an extra credit project. It spread like wildfire, now like everyone has little Sudoku puzzle books with them in every class and it's kind of strange, but cool at the same time.
skygaia
I knew it recently. At first, it seems very exciting.
But before long time, I was disappointed with myself. Because it was very hard to complete.. ^^;;;;;
I don't know how i solve the game..^^
Motif
Sudoku can be a challenge sometimes Smile
nunosilva
sudoku is cool! I play it on my cellphone! never liked the game until I started playing! it's very vicious!
Soulfire
It's an addictive game. Even people who have no remote interest in education or school are addicted to it. Like I said previously, it is a very common sight in our school now.
loserk
really addictive game...i cant quit...
benji2
i love sudokus i rock at them Smile
Jurado
I play them when i'm bored. Sometimes they are easy sometimes not ...

Grtzz
erlendhg
On our programs site, we have a forum full of sudokus that anyone can get, that is uploaded to it using our program.

Check it out:
http://sudoku.frihost.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Try also the program...

http://sudoku.frihost.net/download/index.html

You may also read some of our reviews that is linked to from the frontpage, or you can google "sudoku assistenten" Very Happy
markc33469984
I hate doing those things! i find them so boring and can never get the answers.
cfackler
Yes. I love sudoku. I do the one in the paper daily. That's a nifty program on the frihost member's page. Especially nice that it's free and has a good user base and plenty of puzzle uploads.
rajhank
I am crazy for it.

I complete 3-4 Sudoku games every day.

I never get bored of it.
speedlikecy
sudo ku.......

i think so hard for me
TeenZine
I love sudoku im adicted. I have it on my pc I have a book on it and I have it on my cell phone and my psp and A sudoku a day. Omg this is to addicting it may replace the internet atleast for me.
James007
Well thank you TeenZine for kicking a very old topic. Rolling Eyes

Moved to Hobbies and Animals.
bulek
I'm very new at sudoku but it seems to be very interesting game and I think I will be addicted to sudoku pretty soon. The only problem is that it's not so easy to play it and it also takes a lot of time.
datter
I have totally missed out on the whole Suduko thing. I think I'm happy about it.
Em_de_Tech
Sudoku is really fun. I can always do it, no matter how hard ti is, but im not too hasty at it and it kind of bores me if i work on one too long. But otherwise it's a really awesome game.
erlendhg
Em_de_Tech wrote:
Sudoku is really fun. I can always do it, no matter how hard ti is, but im not too hasty at it and it kind of bores me if i work on one too long. But otherwise it's a really awesome game.

Then try this one ;P

Code:
1 . . | . . 7 | . 9 .
. 3 . | . 2 . | . . 8
. . 9 | 6 . . | 5 . .
------|-------|------
. . 5 | 3 . . | 9 . .
. 1 . | . 8 . | . . 2
6 . . | . . 4 | . . .
------|-------|------
3 . . | . . . | . 1 .
. 4 . | . . . | . . 7
. . 7 | . . . | 3 . .
jasmine
I tried but heh... never been really good with numbers so I quit. XD
thealpha
I did one on the bus.
it's quite difficult
Alias
I played Sudoku once and it really made me some headaches. Though its really a cool game.
emjawa
Oh my, sudoku is my achille's heel. But that said I'm not really that much of a fan, I just do the ones on the back of Times 2, which is totally awesome.
alissavb
I've recently become addicted to Sudoku! Thanks for the site, it'll keep me busy whenever I get bored! Very Happy

I play it a lot on Yahoo! Games. They have a daily Sudoku puzzle as well as a crossword and a word find. Check it out! http://games.yahoo.com Smile

(Sorry if this site has already been mentioned/posted. Razz)
jasmine
Numbers haven't been my best friends... so its not something I can be especially fond of. Though, I do try it once in a while. Smile
rekluzz
I'm addicted to Sudoku! I've got Sudoku Gridmaster for the DS. I've also got a Sudoku game installed on my Pocket PC.
I even found a great sudoku game that can be stored on a USB flash drive. I've installed it on my IPOD clone and play it at work. My work doesn't like us playing online games, so this allows me to plug my MP3 clone into the computer and play without leaving any trace that I've been there. You can find the file here: http://portableapps.com/apps/games/sudoku_portable
gerontius
heh... my dad is a sudoku maniac... solves one puzzle every night before going to sleep. he says it keeps his brain in shape, and i have to agree - he's 68 years old and he still plays chess tournaments and wins matches against players half his age Shocked
mayank_abhishek
Hye!

I can't say sudoku is my life but yes sudoku is my fav passtime. I always carry a few myself while traveling. I can't even miss one if it catches my attention.

Historically,
The modern puzzle was invented by an American, Howard Garns, in 1979 and published by Dell Magazines under the name "Number Place"[2]. It became popular in Japan in 1986, when it was published by Nikoli and given the name Sudoku. It became an international hit in 2005.

And technically,
Sudoku (数独, sūdoku?) listen (help·info) is a logic-based placement puzzle. The objective is to fill the 9x9 grid so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3x3 boxes contains the digits 1 to 9. The puzzle setter provides a partially completed grid so that there is only one solution.

Completed Sudoku puzzles are a type of Latin square, with an additional constraint on the contents of individual regions. Leonhard Euler is sometimes cited as the source of the puzzle, based on his work with Latin squares[1].

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku

I just hope the mods and admins don't mind my quoting from Wikipedia.

- Mayank

P.S. Please inform me if quoting is prohibited.
Hoogeveense RAT
Somtimes, when I don't know to do anything better. It's really difficult if you ask me, so difficult to fill al the numbers into the empty boxes. But sometimes it could be nice, especiallt when you finish it without any mistakes Smile.
Captain Fertile
I had heard of thise but never tried it so I went to one of the linkls mentioned in thsi thread, stared blankly at the grid for about three minutes then decided to stop before my head exploded.

Not my cup of tea, I suckl at maths but I can imagine many enjoy it.
TheSublime
who doesn't?!

I once solved a level six sudoku with my eyes closed using only a toaster and a small cat
Lilystock
I like it, but it's really too time consuming for me, and I'm already too short in time. The thing is : when a begin, it's hard for me to stop !!!

Laughing
saratdear
I guess I can't exactly say I love it. I used to play it before. We get it in the daily newspaper, I tried doing it sometimes, my uncle loves it, he introduced it to me. I can't say I am great in it. I always just try out the "easy" level. Wink
unknownc1c
haha i liked the title. Yeah i do sudoku puzzles, but i'm not so good at them. I've seen people do the hardest ones in only a few minutes. It'd take me days for some of them, haha
prilly_baby
SUDOKU IS THE BEST! ahahah its very addicting!
dvanex
I personaly hate suduko. I do think it is an inteligent game but the fact that it makes you smarter has to be false. it may make you think faster but any other game can do that. I have to do suduko in math when the teacher is to lazy to actualy teach anything. Lol.
Tatsumaru
I usually make them everyday in the newspapers on my way to school/work. I hate doing them but I like the satisfaction of completing them haha.
lmeurer
i´m having some trouble in play this game...

someone here can explain how i play it, and what´s the objective of this stranger game !

Thankz
ammonkc
I love sudoku. There is a really cool sudoku app for the Mac that is called Unisudoku. I try to get through a couple of those per day to keep me sharp
abioradio
I hate it Razz
woodenbrick
hehe, I used to be obsessed but I've managed to wean myself off them slowly. I used to play here all the time at www.sudokucombat.com
its multiplayer, the site has changed now, not sure if its still as good coz i dont wanna sign up again!
ammonkc
MultiPlayer? how would you do a mulitiplayer sudoku? Are you challenging other players or colaborating with them? Sounds like an interesting concept. I'm gonna have to check it out when I have some time.
paul_indo
I have it on my handphone and play it sometimes.

It has three levels so you can start easy then work up as you get better.
It's sort of fun but also frustrating. seems more a game of memory than any real strategy but maybe I just don't understand it well enough.
thealpha
oh~~~i do too
thealpha
oh~~~i do too
ammonkc
Earlier this week D-Wave demoed a Quantum computer, and they used it to solve sudoku puzzles to show off the computing power. The article says that classical binary computers like we use today have trouble solving sudoku puzzles because of the advanced logic involved with the puzzles.

This is really suprising that with the power of todays computers they cannot solve sudoku puzzles. I think its funny that Sudoku was used to demonstrate the power and speed of future computing concepts.
bcarasco
couldnt they build a solver using loops, i mean "if the number doesnt work there, change it, then move on, if you cant place any numbers change the numbers in the other rows until youre able to, find patterns too."
ammonkc
Thats exactly what I said. I'm a programmer, and it seems like you could program the logic for any puzzle like that. That is why I was really suprised to read that. If I have the time I might try to program an app that solves sudoku puzzles, just as a proof of concept, and to satisfy my own curiosity. you can read the article here.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa001&articleID=BD4EFAA8-E7F2-99DF-372B272D3E271363
giovle
as a student I always enjoy solving sudoku-puzzles ... Believe me, it's better to look busy than to fall asleep in class. I did it once and my professor started shouting. So from then on, I always have a sudoku-booklet in my bag ... Just to make shure that when boredom kicks in, I have my remedy with me Wink
totoreador
(first of all, sorry for my english... )
that's true! i'm a student to, and having a sudoku help me to stay awake Smile
while writing on something, you look like listening the lesson and writting it: very usefull
Captain Fertile
After a concerted effort to get into this hobby I have to admit defeat.

It is simply too much like hard work - hard shool work I might add.

My god, this is just not fun at all but I can understand that many people can find it absorbing but when people describe it as relaxing I roll my eyes and clench my teeth. My stress levels doubled playing this cured game - I hate to fail at something but I just cannot play this bloody game.

Good luck to those of you who can and who actually enjoy it.
jhvastikov
Tatsumaru wrote:
I usually make them everyday in the newspapers on my way to school/work. I hate doing them but I like the satisfaction of completing them haha.

And I usually make them everyday on my lessons Embarassed
xtxtx91x
i thonk sudukos ok
and lat year when i was in 8th grade my teacher made us do a whole unit i\on it
and i was so glad i knew how to do it b/c my grades were in the gutter then doing suduko for 5 weeks really brought my grade up lol Wink
Becky
I recently got taught how to do sudoku
(on the bus on the way to school Razz)
Its easy to understand how to do it, but doing it is hard.
I've been stuck on one sudoku for several days before...
But i have to admit, it has made me to start to think alot faster!
Also, it can get me away from the computer for several hours Wink
Zampano
natalie wrote:

Come to think of, they have nothing to do with math; the cardinal numbers just as easily be replaced with A-I. But I suppose there's lots of math-related logic.
Heroin
sudoku hm.. I like to do it if I don`t knew what to do... It is like fore excess time stuffing Smile
alexpotter
I loooove sudoku... it's such an interesting way to have fun!! it's amazing... besides i feel very intelligent when people ask me... how do you play that??' it's great... i feel superior...

It is prooved that this game relaxes people... it relaxes me..!! and it's fun fun fun!!!
schumway
all the time.
do it online, I have 2 books, one in the library (bathroom) and one by the bed.

I do a puzzle every night before bed and I do puzzles while my wife watches shows I can not stand. LOL
thealpha
Yes, I did that before, but now, no time to do that, they are very funny
urbanbuddha
I love Sudoku. I do it online and sometimes in the puzzle section of newspaper (if I happen to find a newspaper laying around somewhere!) XD I don't understand the point of buying a book of Sudoku puzzles though. O_O
lethaltriad
After I saw this thread I thought I would try it especially since its there everyday in the papers. Its actually quite nice, a little addicting also. They usually post "Hard" ones in the papers all the time but its still pretty easy for me. I'll just have a blank moment every now and then but other than that its a nice challenge.
MrBlueSky
ammonkc wrote:
Thats exactly what I said. I'm a programmer, and it seems like you could program the logic for any puzzle like that. That is why I was really suprised to read that. If I have the time I might try to program an app that solves sudoku puzzles, just as a proof of concept, and to satisfy my own curiosity. you can read the article here.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa001&articleID=BD4EFAA8-E7F2-99DF-372B272D3E271363

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Sudoku-Technology-Action-Wei-Meng/dp/1590596625

A book which explains the algorithms you can use to solve sudoku's and features an complete application in VB. Actually you can explain the algorithms in a short essay of a few pages, the rest of the book consists of uninteresting UI-code, explaining of VB, schemas and screenshots.

Here is a sudoku-solver in Haskell:

Code:

import List

main = putStr . unlines . map disp . solve . return . input =<< getContents

solve s = foldr (\p l -> [mark (p,n) s | s <- l, n <- s p]) s idx

mark (p@(i,j),n) s q@(x,y)
    | p == q                             = [n]
    | x == i || y == j || e x i && e y j = delete n (s q)
    | otherwise                          = s q
    where e a b = div (a-1) 3 == div (b-1) 3

disp s = unlines [unwords [show $ head $ s (i,j) | j <- [1..9]] | i <- [1..9]]

input s = foldr mark (const [1..9]) $
  [(p,n) | (p,n) <- zip idx $ map read $ lines s >>= words, n>0]

idx = [(i,j) | i <- [1..9], j <- [1..9]]

Smile
paul_indo
Of course it's not that hard for a computer to solve sodoku puzzles.

Man the logic involved is way simpler than chess, which PC's have done for decades now. Well two decades at least.

The number of possibilities in sodoku is way less than chess so the computer should be able to do a sodoku in a few seconds I think. Also there are no counter moves like chess so it is a simple progression.
longlong
There are plenty of Sudoku games, do you want to try a new one, free game on computer. I can make one, if someone is interested in it, and welcome artist working together if it is possible. Just a idea. If you agree, send me a message, or email to me. (longlongsoft@gmail.com) Wink
seanooi
i like sudoku. I didn't really know what it was until just a few months back when i finally had the time to try it out after hearing so many of my friends talking about it. Even my brother is into sudoku. He would always hold a sudoku book wherever we go and would just stare at the book writing numbers. I never really get what he was doing until now Laughing
A really interesting game and really makes you use your brain.
Idoru
Well, I'm not a maniac about it, but it shows up in every commecial-based paper you
get on the tram here. Since I spend a couple of hours a day commuting I get to the
little puzzles in due time. Not to difficult, though, but it passes the time and relaxes
the mind. Not so stressed out when I get home as if I let it wander.
tbsmicro
I like sudoku, I hate sudoku. It is one of those games that gets you hooked. Once I start one I HAVE to finish it. The really hard ones I struggle with, a 16 x16 square...forget about it, I'll leave that to you Silverdogg!
xanarulz
Hell no, that is fcking hard for my little mind Confused

anyway I still love trying to solve those anyway I give up in 5 min Smile
oleszka
Sometimes I play sudoku here http://sudoku.org.ua/
At first time for me it looked like mess... but now better Smile
I like it
Heart Ticket
EVILSKAAP wrote:
Its that question that creates excitement in some and irritation in others! WELL DO YOU? Im talking to you guys out there that takes it up as a sport! That never quits no matter what! How often do you play and then complete? And which level of difficulty can you complete in 15 minutes. I am out of practice so i can only do tough (up to 33 given), sometimes cruel (up to 27 given). Check out www.websudoku.com for an online browser version! with over 2 billion available!

I play sodoku sometimes only when theres nothing to do... i'm not exactly great at it but i'm ok i guess...

James
Satori
Who doesn't sudoku? The only people who refuse to do it are people who aren't good at math (and don't realize that sudoku has nothing to do with math!) I went through a sudoku phase where I played it a lot, but lately I haven't played it hardly at all. It just isn't something I can play all day every day for extended periods of time. But I do play it online every now and then. It's easier online because you don't have to write anything and can simply type (which I'm much more proficient at.) The best online version I've found is yahoo games version. It's the best because it allows you to make "pencil marks" in any of the open squares. And as any sudoku player knows, pencil marks are almost a necessity for the harder puzzles!
kurdt78
Yeah every day minimum 2 Sudokos... I like to beeat the Sudokos...
Shocked
HollyChris
I like to play when I have a little bit of time. My 9 year old son likes to do them also. I usully print several of them out and keep them with me for when I have some free time.
Jakob [JaWGames]
When I have time I love to make sodukos, the harder the better. The problem is that I usually don't have the time for it...
creezalird
Sudoku...This game I play every night before I go to sleep..Through my mobile phone..During the day I play it on the computer..Really interesting..The higher level the game is..makes me more eager to finish it quickly..eventhough I stuck sometimes at certain stage..
But I really think that everyone should give Sudoku a try..before you judge them just by knowing it has to do with math ( I know, not all of us are born to be Mathematician phreak )
Coclus
Yeah it's kinda addicting.. I just do 'em when bored...
gangsteronline
EVILSKAAP wrote:

Yes its nice
but im stuck every time Idea
Mouldylocks
sudoku helps train your brain and helps you with logic but it doesn't help you count! they light as well use drawings or something since the numbers are merely signs. yeah, but as long as it gets your neurones going!
bassman
Well, I'd love to say that I did them because I think they're a lot of fun, but I don' thave time. If I start, it's hard to stop. It's fun to get a new puzzle and start. My dad was the first one to show me one and he does one every single day in the paper. They also have them in the school paper and so a lot of them do them during class in the mornings.
Whong
I don't have time to do them, and they are way too hard for me! I'm not really good at maths and any way it's needs so much time!

But it's a nice game though! Very Happy
guugu
I do sudokus sometimes when i have time or i'm bored... great way to kill time
Peterssidan
I and three others are doing a sudoku game in java as a school work. I'm not good at it and I have never finished a game. hopefully I will be better after this Smile
rfarrand
who doesn't sudoku nowadays? It is insane how popular this simple game has gotten. it takes up so much time and is a great thing to do for your brain when you have the time. but how many of us start playing this and can't stop till you finish the one you are doing or find another one online, in a book, magazine, or newspaper. we can't put these things down ever. its insane. i know i am addicted to them. i love them..don't get me wrong...it is just so difficult to get anything else done once i start one of these things. oh the wonderful life of sudoku.
thealpha
i always do them on the newspaper,
they are interesting
Satori
creezalird wrote:
But I really think that everyone should give Sudoku a try..before you judge them just by knowing it has to do with math ( I know, not all of us are born to be Mathematician phreak )

Whong wrote:
I don't have time to do them, and they are way too hard for me! I'm not really good at maths and any way it's needs so much time!

Don't you guys realize that Sudoku has NOTHING to do with Math?? A sudoku could just as easily be created that didn't use numbers and instead used letters or symbols. The concept wouldn't change because there is no math involved (you don't have add, subtract, multiply, divide, etc. for example.)

People automatically equate numbers with Math and are therefore scared off from even trying a Sudoku, assuming it requires math skills.

NO MATH REQUIRED people! Numbers don't always require mathematics (though most often they do.) Sudoku is an exception.

TRY IT OUT!
Aiz
Sudoku really isn't as much math as logic oriented.

I only started to play sudoku about a year ago, and that was actually with that brain training game on DS (forgot the name). Then I bought a little booklet of puzzles when I was in Japan, and it's really good for passing time while sitting in a lecture hall XD

I actually don't know many sudoku players personally, but most people who bothered to try it seem to like it very much. So that's worth a thought. =P