FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Less ram needed for games online?

Mac29
I think I'll need less ram for online games vs. playing off CD/DVD/copied to hard drive. Think I'll try some GOG or even Linux gaming. My Linux Mint seems to need less hardware to run so I wonder if trying some Linux games, online or otherwise, would also show all other things being equal that I can get away w/not beefing up my old DDR2 (2GB).

Also, at 4GB, would it be smart or dumb to turn of Windows paging? Some say never turn it off. I use XP, Windows 7 and Mint on drives I slide into a tray vs. multi on same drive. I suppose I could create a smaller partition (near the edge?) for the paging/swap file but don't know if it's worth the trouble, for programming, video editing or games.

Thank you for any responses in advance,

Mac
akmsamir
Well, your RAM usage actually depends on what games or applications you are using. Like the 2D game(online/offline) wont use much memory, whereas if you are playing some heavy online games, such as DOTA 2 or LOL, you will need more RAM comparatively.

And if you are just doing the causal stuffs on your PC, yes at 4gig of RAM, you can turn off the windows paging. But as mentioned earlier, you may run out of memory depending upon the software you are using. And I see u mention about video editing, if you are doing that, you definitely don't want to turn off the windows paging. So yes creating swap partition could be a good idea for boosting the performance of the system.