FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Suggestions for a good lifelong hobby?

Sivara
I've been observing my grandmother who just turned 100 in May. She has always been a good seamstress and even now at her age she is part of a quilting group, making small lap blankets for people in need. I think it's part of what has kept her going to 100! It gives her a purpose for life and she feels like she is still making a positive contribution to society.

I'm trying to find a hobby that I can enjoy and keep doing for years to come. Can anybody think of other hobbies that are sustainable to old age?
Peterssidan
It's hard for us to say because it has to be something that you want to do.

A few things that I think you can do at an old age:
  • making clothes
  • gardening
  • baking
  • feeding your cats
  • solving crossword puzzles
  • genealogy
  • collecting things
You can of course watch TV or play and do other things with the computer but you probably need something physical active to keep alive.
LxGoodies
Quote:
It gives her a purpose for life

repairing things, help elderly, adventure games programming Angel

Quote:
a hobby that I can enjoy

otherwise chess, programming war games for fun Twisted Evil , reading newspapers, collecting Rembrandts, traveling, teasing your neighbour, drinking beer etc
Peterssidan
LxGoodies wrote:
adventure games programming

I'm trying to do this Smile but at the current pace I will be old when it's done. Neutral
loveandormoney
Sivara wrote:
I've been observing my grandmother who just turned 100 in May. She has always been a good seamstress and even now at her age she is part of a quilting group, making small lap blankets for people in need. I think it's part of what has kept her going to 100! It gives her a purpose for life and she feels like she is still making a positive contribution to society.

I'm trying to find a hobby that I can enjoy and keep doing for years to come. Can anybody think of other hobbies that are sustainable to old age?

Relationship

She will be so happy

relationship makes
rich
healty
Party
fun
and NO BORING EVER

In relationship she can play chess or tabletennis You wrote she likes sports.

Make her happy.

You are so sweet for help Your loved family.
BigGeek
Sivara wrote:

I say sit down in a quiet place and seriously ask yourself what do you like - what interests you - and see what hobbies are associated with the things that draw your interest or attention.

Once you figure out what your hobby is - growing roses, growing veggies, painting, or even dancing, or martial arts - whatever you decide is your passion - know that repetition is the key to mastery - acquire the tools of your passion and use them daily until you have mastered them. Do not be afraid to seek the advice of other masters - read their books and literature - take classes - work to master your hobby - taking pride in what you produce from your heart is a great gift!
Insanity
I think that making music is one of the best hobbies there are out there. And with these kind of hobbies, the longer you are doing each hobby, the better you will be at it. That means if you start now, later on in life you will be very skilled at performing music. All you really need is a musical instrument, and it can be bought for pretty cheap nowadays. If you want something fancier down the line, as you will probably want to after you get better, you can make that investment too. But you don't need that much to start with, and it will get better the more you play.

I think that active hobbies are great too. If you pick up running or a sport, you can do both stay healthy and keep yourself occupied. There are so many great hobbies out there that you can have your pick of things you want.
loveandormoney
BigGeek wrote:
Sivara wrote:

I say sit down in a quiet place and seriously ask yourself what do you like - what interests you - and see what hobbies are associated with the things that draw your interest or attention.

Once you figure out what your hobby is - growing roses, growing veggies, painting, or even dancing, or martial arts - whatever you decide is your passion - know that repetition is the key to mastery - acquire the tools of your passion and use them daily until you have mastered them. Do not be afraid to seek the advice of other masters - read their books and literature - take classes - work to master your hobby - taking pride in what you produce from your heart is a great gift!

growing roses,
growing roses,
growing roses,

This is the best idea here in the thread.

My aunt did and does and ll do enjoy watch roses grow.
Its fantasttic. Its nature. Its healthy.

Her rose tree is now more then 2 meters big.
They are growing every day and its pleasure how they improe themselves the power in the plant.

Many people buy a flower for birthday. Its beautful.

So give Your relative as a present for Xmas 2,015 a piece of Rose seeds. You ll make her happy. And Yourself.
tonberry
Probably anything that has no skill-ceiling and serves some purpose in the world - doesn't benefit just you but also other people by one way or another, even if it's something that can lightly inspire or motivate people around you. I think everyone should do somethng like that, too many people are caught in a 9-to-5 job that they hate and getting drunk or playing video games after.
silvermesh
Aquarium fishkeeping can be a very rewarding hobby, and you can get as deep in as you want, from a small betta aquarium to a full fledged reef system. Just depends on your money and patience.

My other easy to get into hobby is writing. the more you do it the better you get.
Insanity
How abotu learning how to cook well? I would describe it as a hobby if you really get into it. It's something that you will need to do forever, so it would be good to get good at it. You can make lots of interesting recipes and foods and share them with people. It's a hobby that benefits a lot more people than jsut yourself.