FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HTML editing Software

Mark999111
hey

I remember a while back i had a peice of software that i downloaded, for free, that allowed you to press a button and the HTML for whatever you pressed, eg. a table, was inserted for you

It wsnt in WYSIWYG, it showed you the script and i think itd be good for me learning HTML as i couldnt really be bothered looking over tutorials when ive got schoolwork and all that already

thanks
modak
And what is the name of this particular software ??

I didn't quite get your point
Mark999111
thats what i mean i cant remember the name but i wanna download it again

so if anyone knows...
misterdimiz
It's difficult to help you.
If you want an HTML editor freeware, check this list:

Amaya
Arachnophilia
aynHTML
BlueVoda Website Builder
BPlainPro
crimson editor
DHE Editor
Easy Web Editor
FCKeditor
hot dog
HTMLArea
HTML-Kit
intelieditor
Maguma Open Stidio
ntfree
NVU
Spaw php
TinyMCE
WYSIWYG Web Builder
Xinha
X-Standard Lite

... but you can found more.
xuma
i use Arachnophilia for a long time.Great list misterdimiz.Thnx
xboy
Macromedia Dreamweaver is very good for web design. It has context help when you press Shift+F1 so you can learn about html elements. Under linux I would recommend Quanta+.
Mark999111
I dont like dreamweaver, well i dont like its WYSIWYG thing anyway
tojo
@misterdimiz
thanks for sweetlist.
what's the best free html editor do you think?
Im currently using NVU. but, did not tried other proggies. Very Happy
Dragate
I, for one perfer the notepad... it is not bad and i think those visual editors are a little overrated.. thye are good i guess for the fat that you can put things there and see how it is... but like many other programs like moicrosoft word for example as a visual editor, there are many mistakes as one big example of making tables, they never work right do they? for all your html refernces and examples or even javascript go to:
www.w3schools.com
misterdimiz
tojo wrote:
@misterdimiz
thanks for sweetlist.
what's the best free html editor do you think?
Im currently using NVU. but, did not tried other proggies. Very Happy

I think NVU is the best freeware WYSIWYG html editor.
If you don't want to spend, it's the best.
amrlafi
try AceHtml ,the free edition
KHO
xboy wrote:
Macromedia Dreamweaver is very good for web design. It has context help when you press Shift+F1 so you can learn about html elements. Under linux I would recommend Quanta+.

what you have said is a fallacy, WYSIWYG editors can not be good, they trash your source, and if you ever want to edit it for real, you may as well do the whole dang site from scratch. plus if you use one of those, fat chance of ever upgrading to XHTML without redoing the whole site from scratch.

Sorry to rant about this, but wysiwyg editors are what make those really annoying sites that have images intersecting and wierd glitches due to bad HTML. and that just makes me kinda mad, don't really know why Neutral
charliehk
Amazing! I only heard of FCKeditor and NVU!

Which one or two are the best?

Could someone post the downloading website for the best one?

misterdimiz wrote:
It's difficult to help you.

Amaya
Arachnophilia
aynHTML
BlueVoda Website Builder
BPlainPro
crimson editor
DHE Editor
Easy Web Editor
FCKeditor
hot dog
HTMLArea
HTML-Kit
intelieditor
Maguma Open Stidio
ntfree
NVU
Spaw php
TinyMCE
WYSIWYG Web Builder
Xinha
X-Standard Lite

... but you can found more.
shankar
If you are a learner then u can also try Macromedia Homesite. Also I remember that I tried 1st page 2000 which is also a free HTML editor which offered lots of features and lots of readymade scripts.
According to Evrsoft the maker:
1st Page 2000 2.0 is the tool that lets you create powerful, great looking websites faster, easier and on-time.

Overview:
From Australia to California to Germany, professional web builders are exploring 1st Page 2000, the world's free web builder to create and manage world-class Web sites. Its power and flexibility lets anyone create the web site they want. Ask any professional web builder and they'll tell you the sad stories behind using standard WYSIWYG editors. Professional web builders know that WYSIWYG editors never create clean html code which means they'll end up wasting more time fixing, cleaning and correcting code later on. With this common problem in mind, you'll be glad to hear that 1st Page never ruins HTML code, infact it doesn't even add unwanted html codes to your important projects.

Evrsoft 1st Page 2000 helps you write, edit and improve your HTML, its powerful tools let you author websites faster, easier and better! Most new builders don't realize the time they're losing by relying on traditional based text editors like WindowsTM Notepad to author their sites. Whether you're a beginner or an HTML guru you'll find 1st Page 2000 great to use!

Also it features:
Flexible

Customizable Keyboard shortcuts

Customizable Toolbar buttons

Dockable/Floating Toolbars

3 primary development modes (easy/expert/hardcore)

View/Disable most visible panels

Store your own code snippets in myCode Library

Cutting Edge

450+ Javascripts/VBScripts

DHTML Zone with re-usable DHTML scripts

Full support for SSI, CGI, Perl, Cold Fusion, ASP.

Javascript Rollover Images

Javascript/VBScript Object Tree

HTML Source Compressor - Reduce webpage file size

Flash 4/Shockwave/Java/ActiveX Support

6 Common Javascript Wizards

(Drop-down comboboxs, Frame Killer, Browser Detector,
Last Modified Date, Background Fader)

Includes over 20+ cgi/perl/htmlscripts from Matt's
Script Archive with complete instructions on usage.

Speed

Syntax Highlights Perl , CSS, HTML, CF, ASP, SSI,
Javascript, CGI files.

3 chart HEX Color Picker

Powerful speedy Wizards

Tag Lists (Filter Zone)

File Explorer

Open Document From the Web

Calculate Image sizes (height/width)

Drag-drop from Explorer

Source Code Formatter

Aid

Instant Tag Help anywhere, anytime.

Complete Web Building Reference

Commonly Asked Questions

Spell Checker

Thesaurus Checker

Special/Extended Character List
modak
charliehk wrote:
Amazing! I only heard of FCKeditor and NVU!

Which one or two are the best?

Could someone post the downloading website for the best one?

FCKEditor is a javascript plugin for webapps not a full fledged HTML editor.

I'm assuming we're talking about the product at http://www.fckeditor.net/ and not something else.

I'm currently trying to build a blog software using C#, and am having a lot of problems with FCKEditor. Seems that FCKEditor can't handle the positioning info of MSGridLayout. Any FCKEditor/.Net gurus out there ?
charliehk
I want to give FCKeditor a try since it is a open source program; I have heard that popular free program like NVU does not support Frames making. I wonder if FCKeditor support the making of Frames. If not, could anyone suggest another (Open source preferred).

Also, did anyone heard of Visual HTML? Is it free? What is its address for downloading?
idanasher
Hi all,

I have "some" experience in buidling html\asp\jav scrpit site (includong in hebrew)
and this is the best program I know.

it also function as a CSS "manager" and allow you to see code\desgin\both at the same time.

I reccomectd getting it at any prize.
it is a must program for a web desginer, essspaceialy for beginners.

have fun
jaminx
I use Dreamweaver, but I'm not sure it's expense is really worth it...

These are the sites I created with it:
www.scs-dangerouswaters.com
www.sonalystscombatsims.com

I do like Dreamweavers's layout mode (with the little blue borders for the cell spaces in the tables), but if someone knows of a free alternative that it just as capable as Dreamweaver, I'd be willing to try it... Smile
BearClaw
I'm a avid fan of EditPlus.

But then again I'm more geared towards straight code as opposed to visual design and 'drag and drop' coding.

EditPlus is basically Notepad on crack. It has tabbed windows for editing multiple files, built in ftp program and colored coding. It has a number of other features such as built in browser and such, but is very minimalistic which is what I love about it.

Definately not a program for the timid. It is geared squarely for the programmers out there...
bboy_nycb
Under Linux, we have good stuffs as well.
For instance, Quanta with the desktop KDE.
Screem with GNOME.
NVU linked to Mozilla.

Personally, I think the best to code good HTML is a good editor who highlines the html languages!
madmaxbullshit
Quote:
misterdimiz

Amaya
Arachnophilia
aynHTML
BlueVoda Website Builder
BPlainPro
crimson editor
DHE Editor
Easy Web Editor
FCKeditor
hot dog
HTMLArea
HTML-Kit
intelieditor
Maguma Open Stidio
ntfree
NVU
Spaw php
TinyMCE
WYSIWYG Web Builder
Xinha
X-Standard Lite

Great list, misterdimiz!

Here's my 2 - I have, at one point or another, tried most of these programs.

NVU and DHE Dynamic HTML 1.9 are both pretty good. Absolutely free, user-friendly. They work with just about every browser. If you don't much about web design, you can still create a very decent site, especially if you find a free template somewhere that you like & import it. Of, you could just import the template from a blog (blogspot, vox) and edit it. Also, both of these keep your code relatively uncluttered (messy code is a common complaint about wizzy editors).

There are several in this list that mimick MS Word - Xinha, Spaw php, Easy Web Editor, & a few others. If you're comfortable creating in Word-type programs (power point, open office, etc) these might be a good place to start for you. However, they've got limitations - usually they turn out a bit "blocky", layering & alignment is sometimes a problem, etc. But if you're note doing anything intricate - just a blog, a mostly text site, etc., they should work great.

I don't think HotDog is free any more. Maybe you can get a really old version for free on ZDNet or somewhere like that, but I didn't see it on their web site.

My favorites are Blue Voda and WYSIWYG Web Builder. There is almost no difference beteween the two. However, they are NOT free.

WYSIWYG Web Builder has a 30 day trial, and they put a small banner on your page. To get around the banner, publish it to a folder on your local hard drive, find & delete the code for the banner (at the bottom of the page). But reinstalling it every 30 days is tricky. It costs $35 to buy.

Blue Voda offers free software, but it ONLY publishes to Vodahost, which is pretty expensive - starting at $9.95 a month. They offer a lot for the price, good tech support, & a discount if you pre-pay for 1 or 3 years, but it's still expensive. A way around this is to design your page, preview it in Firefox or IE, then the page is stored in your browser cache folder. You can FTP directly from there. This is probably easier than finding a crack for either of them.
simplyw00x
Oh come on, even VIM lets you do what's described in the original post. You just define a macro/replacement shortcut to have a keybinding or keyphrase which creates/is replaced by the relevant HTML. It also has spell checking, tab completion, good FTP/SSH support, syntax highlighting and an infinity of customisation. No need to start fuddling about with all kinds of "semi-WYSIWYG" nonsense.
thinkingskull
Very Happy i luv frontpage....

but 4 php i dnt think its a gr8 choice....

guess what.... take my advice.... forget bout tht software and start usin notepad..... Very Happy