FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Smart people

criticaldensity
Should we institute a system that allows only educated people to breed? What if we had a standard test to show proficiency and married couples could only have a baby if they scored 100% ?? Kinda like a drivers exam. You can't drive if you can't pass the test, right ? Think about many other occupations that require certification. Is parenting different?
LeviticusMky
Heh heh, well, I'd be for it, but that might be a bit too far for the rest of the people on the planet.

I think a better step would be only allowing the educated to vote. The thought that I have is that everyone is able to vote on local issues, things that affect only those in your town or county, but only those with a secondary education are able to vote in national elections and policy issues.
Grant_Weaver
Eugenics is not only a detestable practice, but it's inherently flawed. Intelligence is almost impossible to test, and the tests we have only measure certain types of intelligence(spatial, verbal, mathematical). What about the crack addict who manages to "make" thousands of dollars a week to maintain his addiction...can you make that much in a week? No?

*castrates*

As for the voting issue, the uneducated hardly vote in the first place.
karysky
No way!

That makes me think about the Nazis and the Herrenvolk!

Having a child is natural, instinctive, and in no way like driving a vehicle! Removing the right of bearing a child to an uneducated woman comes right down to removing her human status!

Besides, it is not quite proven that intelligence is transmitted genetically. I have a cousin who's IQ is way above 120 and his parents are junkies with intelligence below that. Most genius out there, including Einstein, have normal parents!

I don't agree with letting only educated people to vote either, because educated does not mean intelligent. I know a lot of educated people (including myself Embarassed ) who do not follow what goes on in politics. There are uneducated people at home who watch TV and follow everything and have deep knowledge on the subject.
Phi
Woah, only allowing educated people to breed is kind of scary.

Besides, I don't quite believe that something like "intelligence" is passed on to the children, so what's the point of allowing only educated people to give birth to babies? o_o
Ressurrector
criticaldensity wrote:
Should we institute a system that allows only educated people to breed? What if we had a standard test to show proficiency and married couples could only have a baby if they scored 100% ?? Kinda like a drivers exam. You can't drive if you can't pass the test, right ? Think about many other occupations that require certification. Is parenting different?

You sound like Hitler man. Breeding the strongest blonde men with blonde women and such. There's no need in all that. And besides,sometimes nature does what it wants to do like two twin brothers and one is a schizophrenic.
psycosquirrel
Fine with me, mainly because I would probably pass Laughing
Lilystock
criticaldensity wrote:

... I hope that you are not to sad that you would not be able to procreate in a world/society like the one you're describing...

Well, it could have been worse, like suggesting that only rich people could breed... but I could only imagine dumb rich guy paying a intelligent poor guy to pass the test for him, so maybe it's quite the same idea...
cnnet
I don't think it's a good idea
we all come here to share our fellings
and ppl are born equeal
there's no smart ones
gonzo
education? nah.... sterilize those with IQs below 130.

Schools need to sort children by IQ. Mainstreaming is as retarded as those it purports to assist.
frozenhead
Its not a bad idea at all. The fact that some parents are not responsible enough raising children . You know, our natural freedom having children is way too abuse just for other justifying themselves resulting to child labor and abuse to them.

But

I don't mean I'm totally agreed with the idea. I guess the idea should undergo indepth studies. Idea
karysky
frozenhead wrote:
Its not a bad idea at all. The fact that some parents are not responsible enough raising children . You know, our natural freedom having children is way too abuse just for other justifying themselves resulting to child labor and abuse to them.

I don't agree. Intelligence does mean responsible! Non educated mothers who stay home to take care of their children are way more responsible than working, busy mothers who drop their children to the nursery and pick them up the following evening!

Confused

Furthermore, who's going to decide which parents can have children and other not? The government? Pffff!
denggi
Limiting a person's right to procreate is just bad man. Although i kinda support that in the case where there is some inherited disorder that is DEFINITELY gonna get passed down.
lockwolf
If breeding was left for the intelegent, society would take a turn where the economy would go up, people that would work at places like grocerie stores, gas stations and other places like that would be harder to find due to the uprise of jobs in vocational degrees and it probably wouldn't help anyways because there are also other things such as birth defects and stuff like that that could make a person non intellegent no matter who the parents are.
Lilystock
lockwolf wrote:
If breeding was left for the intelegent, society would take a turn where the economy would go up, people that would work at places like grocerie stores, gas stations and other places like that would be harder to find due to the uprise of jobs in vocational degrees and it probably wouldn't help anyways because there are also other things such as birth defects and stuff like that that could make a person non intellegent no matter who the parents are.

To go in this same direction, in France, there is a saying : "Il faut de tout pour faire un monde". In english it could be translated as "Everything is needed to make a world". Now maybe this expression exist in english in another form ?
PatTheGreat42
We shouldn't put in any system. That's, um, unethical or somesuch.

The problem with this system, however, arises when you realize that modern human civilization has absolutely killed natural selection.

Darwin was one of the first to realize this. Educated people actually have less kids than poor, um, stupid people. According to natural selection, the stupid people should eventually die off because stupid is not a good trait. But with only the stupid people having a lot of kids, only the smart people will die out.

That's why I must conquer the world and give tax breaks to the rich, er, educated.
thiamshui
Educated people do not always breed smart kids.. And uneducated people can breed smart kids. There is no use for creating any test.

Everybody, no matter how smart or how stupid he is, have the equal chance to succeed. Everyone is born with his/her own good points and there is no 'perfect' person.
jspapp
A test to have sex? Thats completely idiotic, unethical, and unnatural. It would destroy human rights. Imagine this....

"Welcome to 'Dan's Child Emporium'! We've got all the best kids. I've got genuises, smarties, averages, smartasses... we've even got dumbasses back in the warehouse!
All starting at $299.99!"

If you wanna control breeding, buy a kennel, or llamas or something.
ocalhoun
Ever read H.G.Wells the time machine?
This brings his version of the extreme future to mind, where the human race evolves into two seperate species.
gonzo
lockwolf wrote:
eople that would work at places like grocerie stores, gas stations and other places like that would be harder to find d.

no, silly, that's what gammas are for... but don't worry we won't have to engineer them from birth.. simply voting democrat is identification enough
rwojick
This would be rediculous. Our system allows the female to ultimately decide on her mate and I think the laws should be quoted almost that simply with age distinctions.

There is a problem that is occuring after everyone has bred, though. And it involves smart people being outweighed in Court by dumb people when an incorrect verdict is reached.

Take the Scott Peterson case. The law says you have to have EVIDENCE that he killed his wife OR evidence that his alibi was false.

Dumb people ran the trial and today Scott is on death row with NO evidence that he murdered his wife and NO evidence that he was fishing on the day he said she was abducted.

When a man goes to death row with no evidence then it should b clear that the dumb people seem to be surviving just fine.
gonzo
rwojick wrote:
EVIDENCE

what kind of evidence do you require, mr hijacker?

gonzo wrote:
education? nah.... sterilize those with IQs below 130.

Schools need to sort children by IQ. Mainstreaming is as retarded as those it purports to assist.

this will solve soooo many problems
SunburnedCactus
Loving the supremacy complex!
sibbahz
This could cause many problems, and i have no idea how they could enforce this.
digibluez
educated people? There are smart people out there ,who do not have a good education....you must be kidding me!
Panthrowzay
Some educated people are lazy and thus like me Teach the pointless so it is not passed on so the next gen is a bit slower.
b2b
I think there is a difference between parenting and professions that require accreditation. Parenting is not something you can study for, you learn by experience and without that practical experience, you wouldnt be able to pass the test. Very Happy
yzy
You mean that people who havent the qualification to be father or mather if they are illiterate couple.Is it Right? To be father or mather is natural and human.But if he is a very execrable people,I think he isnt a good father,but he has the qualification to be a father......Just bring up your children well and teach them love themselves and love others.
gonzo
more government = bad
less government = good
brainkiller
You need to be test your IQ or whatever to have a kid?!
That's dumb!
NuniPio
criticaldensity wrote:

i guess you wouldnt be allowed to have kids if you thought of that
SilverDogg
i agree with this! and we should put the limit at 400IQ. everyone below that is not allowed to breed!

oops, no more humans =(
Davidgr1200
What do you mean by "educated". If you have been at school then you have been educated, but that does not say anything about how much you have actually learnt. What sort of wquestions would you want in such a test? If you're asking for 100% then not many people are going to be able to have children in the future:
Q1: Explain Newton's Laws and how Einstein adjusted them
Q2: Describe three famous paintings and explain why they are important
Q3: Summarise the main diffences between the 5 main religions
Q4: Compare and contrast Beethoven's 9 symphonies
Q5: Explain chaos
Q6: Outline clearly the difference between evolution and Darwinism. Give examples for and against Darwinism.
Q7: On the attached map of the world name 5 continents, 5 mountain ranges, 5 seas and 40 countries
Q8: Which countries won the latest world championships in: soccer, cricket, Ice Hockey, Table Tennis
Q9: Name five plants which have proven medicinal uses
Q10: What is the difference between a republic and a monarchy and a democracy
Q11: List the major events of the first world war
Q12: Give a short account of the Industrial revolution

You have 30 minutes from now...
bao
I think EQ is important than IQ. Cool
vahishta
bao wrote:
I think EQ is important than IQ. Cool

Precisely. Some of the smartest people are emotionally dead and would make very bad parents indeed. Also, the concept of only educated people voting is downright stupid. Democracy only works if everyone, including the uneducated, vote.
Lamp
LOL! If we had done that in the past, non of us would be alive! LOL! but yeah try if your wife(husband)/girl(boy)friend. You'll be pretty bored for the rest of your life with no intercoarse.
emale

No , Completely No!!!
vidafenomenal
no sense to talk about this. why smart people?
The_unnamed_label
criticaldensity wrote:

I find the idea of eugenism pretty disturbing...(pardon my spelling... I'm french and not sure about that one..)

I think what counts is the ability of leading a happy life and making your children happy and loved and to teach them good values.
It has nothing to do with education.
I can also assure you that being educated doesn't make you a better person.. and I'm talking by experience here... I've met a LOT of very "educated" people, being myself more graduated than common sense should allow... and not all of them are nice people, far from it.
Navigator
Horrendous proposal IMHO. It kills the humanity in us.
Hello_World
No.

Who are you to say that testable intellegence is the most necessary quality that people can have?

Are you suggesting there is no place for those who are creative, or good with their hands, or entrepeneurs, or kind, or happy to do manual jobs, or good with people, and so on, and so on...

Not to mention the known flaws of IQ tests.

Suggesting that we should 'cull' out certain types of people is very anti-Darwin, anti-evolution... as you are trying to encourage certain traits when evolution is based on 'mutations', multiple traits, and species can be seen to get in serious trouble when their genes are too similar.

Look at the story of the Tasmanian Devil, which will only be saved by zoos and separation, if we are lucky. Because of their lack of genetic diversity, the disease they are suffering, a form of cancer, has spread very quickly with hardly any (no?) resistance.

We can even show how hemophilia (I mean the disease where you bleed without stopping) has been beneficial in some parts of the world where there was a mosquito bourne virus (was it malaria? I'm hazy on the details now) and those with the blood disease survived the mosquito disease, and in that part of the world you will find that hemophilia is a beneficial trait. (okay, I learned about that in school, that was a long time ago Smile )

Not to mention the effects such a policy would have on the culture of people who are 'allowed' to breed, very Nazi-esque.