FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

is Space exploration worth it?

criticaldensity
Should we shut down NASA and just use all funds to fixing problems down here on earth? Many private companies can build rockets to launch satellites into orbit when we need it.
How does space exploration solve problems like crime, poverty, and sickness down here?
What do you think?
Lord Klorel
I disagree in your opinion. The space explorations and the science research in the ISS. With this science projects can we discover many results in the advantage of medical science and such more...

Therefore i wouldn't agree in shutting down the NASA empire.

As end conclusion i say:Shutting down the NASA is unacceptable!! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Sunny
This thread should be in General Discussion Forum

<Moved>
S3nd K3ys
criticaldensity wrote:
Should we shut down NASA and just use all funds to fixing problems down here on earth? Many private companies can build rockets to launch satellites into orbit when we need it.
How does space exploration solve problems like crime, poverty, and sickness down here?
What do you think?

I guess we shouldn't have explored the new world either eh?? The population will out-grow the capacity of the earth one day. We'll need to know as much as possible before that happens.
Jiltedcitizen
NASA needs an overhaul thats for sure. Too much red tape. I don't think space exploration should be stopped totally, I mean its gave us Tang and velcro, what more could you want? The space station is a waste of money. Stop that and use the money to keep hubble going. Do more robotic missions. We talk about going to Mars yet we could not even get to the moon now if we tried. If we wanted to we'd rely on the same tech that got us there in the first place. I think China and its space explorations my restart a space race worldwide. Which would be good. Or it will instill fear knowing they can send nukes anywhere.
gonchiweb
well i think that we shouldnt shut down the nasa...
why? because the Earth in the universe is like a sand grain in the beach. We do MUST know what we are sorrounded by and investigate other possible human homes like marth.
Quote:

well i dont think NASA is the problem!!!!!! i think all the money that is spent at wars is a lot even more that the money is spent in space investigation, and probably, if countrys hadnt an army probably there wouldnt be any poor people
bye
Mark999111
Itis an incredible waste of money, but again if there was no NASA and a comet was heading for us; we'd be pretty screwed wouldnt we?
MidwestCreative
If there were significant government support for private space exploration, then yes, NASA should be nixxed.

The problem is that private companies can't build huge rockets or whatnot, so they can't go into space.

NASA will phase out soon enough, what with the recent trend of tourist spece trips, companies will start picking up the bill and then NASA will be hijacked and left in the dust, just like what happened to the internet.
Jiltedcitizen
Nasa's budget is $16.2 billion a drop in the water for the US. We have spent 280 billion in Iraq alone.
OnlyOneLife
Jiltedcitizen wrote:
Nasa's budget is $16.2 billion a drop in the water for the US. We have spent 280 billion in Iraq alone.

HAHA I laugh at Bush. We have to explore new worlds... I mean look at the total distruction we are doing to the earth. Twisted Evil
S3nd K3ys
OnlyOneLife wrote:

HAHA I laugh at Bush. We have to explore new worlds... I mean look at the total distruction we are doing to the earth. Twisted Evil [/color]

Wow. The ignorance is rampant.

So now it's all Bush's fault humans are and have been exploring space for decades? Rolling Eyes

BTW, the green font is almost as annoying as the slang and bad spelling I read here all the time. Wink
Grant_Weaver
Why laugh at Bush?
Slammer
I say space exploration is very important!! Whats the point in just sitting down here on our little earth when theres all that out there? Its just STUPID!. We're soon going to outgrow our planet as someone else mentioned. We need to have other places to go.
Ressurrector
I say don't give up on space exporation, just Nasa and chemical rockets in general. There is many underground scientist that have great propulsion theories but just don't have the money to build things. I say uncle sam needs to give them Nasa's money.
illini319
The NASA budget is infinitely small compared to other federally funded/subsidized endeavors. Should it be increased? I don't think so. What I hope will happen is that there be a surge in the privatization of space exploration. Although other than the cheap (well... not so cheap) tourist thrill of seeing space for yourself, I can't imagine how space exploration could be marketable at a mass level. Whatever the future reason may be, once space is open to Joe Schmo there will be a large technological boom with respect to space and its exploration. Outside of war, nothing promotes fervent technolgical advances than the free market system.
tim_s
afaik NASA is very wasteful. I know there are arguments that it has developed a whole load of useful things which are now in various applications here on earth, however in general private companies could probably do the same/more useful things as well for less money. I know very little on this subject and haven't read up before posting, so shoot me down in flames. Virgin and Rutan won that prize spending i think something over $100million, which is a fraction of NASA's annual budget - 16 some odd billion $.
psycosquirrel
I say f space; we need to focus on matters here on Earth.

We know more about space than the ocean... which is wierd...
shwetanshu
Na NASA shud not be shutdown, but instead stop all the nuclear and chemical warfare tests, also we shud try to make the earth a better place
kokziwen
The recent Shen Zhou 6 by China is a real successful and a big move by the communist country. Even JApan can't do like this and is the real ashame by them. Japanese PM visited the Shrine as to show they are jeolous about the Chinese victory! It's is proud to be a chinese!
mark
It does help. If we find a similar planet like earth, then all the rich people can go and live a new life there and then the population will keep on decreasing. So, automatically, the poor people will be left with all the resources and they can enjoy it. Overall, it is a good idea!
Patrick
I dont think it should be shut down, but they use to much money in my eyes..

I'm not a big fan of space research myself. Mainly because over half of the money that go to space research is used on things that really isnt that important, like going to the moon again. If there still is things there they need to look at they did a bad job thelast time.

All the money the western world use on space research and other useless research could've been used to feed the poor children in afrika.
Jiltedcitizen
Patrick wrote:
I dont think it should be shut down, but they use to much money in my eyes..

I'm not a big fan of space research myself. Mainly because over half of the money that go to space research is used on things that really isnt that important, like going to the moon again. If there still is things there they need to look at they did a bad job thelast time.

All the money the western world use on space research and other useless research could've been used to feed the poor children in afrika.
Screw Africa. Space research could alos lead to cures for diseases. The low gravity environment may have break throughs. A moon base could be a launching point for other space exploration. Gather energy and resources, etc. The militarty could use some fat trimming.
dan751
NASA shouldn't be shut down. Who knows, we'll find cures for a load of medical diseases in space.Very Happy
blackdragon666
I don't think that NASA should be shut down, I just think that maybe we should spend less money on it. Why do we need to keep going to the moon? we already know what's there, that goes for orbiting the earth as well. As for spending all that money wars, that shit (excuse my french) needs to stop. We are doing nothing but wasting money. They need to use that money for education and low income housing, not killing people. Twisted Evil
LeviticusMky
Darn skippy.

At the risk of going off topic, I think NASA is the least of our worries as far as money goes, the 260 Billion that Bush spent pummelling Iraq could have brought CLEAN AND FRESH water to the WHOLE WORLD.

That's the whole world, not just a few countries, the whole world. The cost for installing water systems in the places across the globe that don't have them has been quoted at less than 60 billion dollars.
MidwestCreative
Hey, I wonder how many kids could have a good education for that 260 billion dollars that went into Iraq...

Seems like Nasa is a small waste of money compared to some other endeavors...
illini319
MidwestCreative wrote:
Hey, I wonder how many kids could have a good education for that 260 billion dollars that went into Iraq...

Seems like Nasa is a small waste of money compared to some other endeavors...

For some perspective on NASA budget and 'other federal endeavors':

Cost of current war effort in Iraq: over 220 billion dollars
Cost of Iraq war
Number of soldiers that have died in this war: approx 2000 in about 2 yrs

2005 National Institute of Health Annual Budget: 29 billion dollars
2005 NIH Annual Budget <--- Must have Adobe Acrobat

Number of Americans who died of some type of cancer in 2005: 570,000 (1,500 people per DAY)
CDC Cancer stats

APPARENTLY, the current administration believes that terrorism has killed, and/or threatens to kill, more Americans than cancer... How patriotic!(And I didn't even give you guys figures about heart disease!!!) Smash the mirrors and blow away the smoke. These statistics are as real as it gets.
tingkagol
Shut down anything that you want, but you cannot stop space exploration. It is inevitable.
l4zy
I really dont think its worth it ... u'll end up wid another moon hoax Very Happy
frozenhead
First things most..
criticaldensity wrote:

Obviously, Space Exploration it will not solve directly all the problems that are enumerated. I think the arguement is way too far to be linked with Space Exploration. Secondly, I beg to disagree on the idea of shutting down totally NASA though. They cosume a lot of the government's budget but i guess at this tech age, we need exploration outside earth somehow. Expanding source of fuel and energy may solve energy shortage and gas hikes! And maybe we encounter "them" soon enough. Idea
bcnhs81
They say space is the final frontier.. i really disagree if we stop space exploration.. man thirsts for knowledge by nature and i guess the things that we spend on studying space is worth it.. Smile
thiamshui
If space exploration can allow us to find resources on other planets, den it is worth it. Humans are just like cancer cells. They only want to keep on growing and growing, depleting all the natural resources.. One day, the whole body (Earth) will collapse..

Humans shld find a way to stop all these before it is too late.
annupreeti_fun
tim_s wrote:
afaik NASA is very wasteful. I know there are arguments that it has developed a whole load of useful things which are now in various applications here on earth, however in general private companies could probably do the same/more useful things as well for less money. I know very little on this subject and haven't read up before posting, so shoot me down in flames. Virgin and Rutan won that prize spending i think something over $100million, which is a fraction of NASA's annual budget - 16 some odd billion $.

infact NAS are the real money user
the use for development less than on their confort
3shades
i think its worth it, i think space is facinating

after all...when we've messed up this planet we're gonna need somewhere else to go aren't we!

ben,

http://3shades.frihost.com

http://www.3shades.tk
ocalhoun
They need to start trying for a return on their investment:
Forget Mars, and build a mining colony on the moon.
(Doing so will make future space exploration easier, as it takes less energy to lauch things from the moon.)
btocakci
It is a temporary cure not to spend for space exploration. In fact the budget for NASA is much less than the other issues the USA spends for.As a non american i can see that if you spend for this more, you will conquer all the world by invading the space. If the aim is this, it is acceptable. But if you say we are the one in the world, and we are the most powerful,you must help the poor,too.briefly i dont say it mustnt done, i just say there are some more important creatures in the world than the bacterias in an unknown planet.......
ocalhoun
Why does the US have to take care of everyone?
Can't everybody just feed themselves?
Do you know how much forign aid the US already sends all over the world (financed by my tax dollars)?
Not to mention all of the private donations...
If for some reason the people in a certain place can't grow their own food, then they need to go someplace else.
S3nd K3ys
ocalhoun wrote:
Why does the US have to take care of everyone?
Can't everybody just feed themselves?
Do you know how much forign aid the US already sends all over the world (financed by my tax dollars)?
Near as I can tell: $70,140,000,000 (source)
If for some reason the people in a certain place can't grow their own food, then they need to go someplace else.

It's amazing isn't it? The US has, for decades, tried to help people with money, food and blood, yet we're looked upon as evil. Rolling Eyes
Jack_Hammer
Quote:
In Fiscal Year 2005, the U. S. Government spent $352 Billion of your money on interest payments* to the holders of the National Debt. Compare that to NASA at $15 Billion, Education at $61 Billion, and Department of Transportation at $56 Billion.

I think space exploration is pointless until proverty crime etc. have been sorted out (P.S Poverty and Crime will never be erradicated entirely in a capitalist society by default capitalism can never work to in the majority's favour only the minority (the Rich).
otiscom
We learn a lot about ourselves and the world from going to space that we couldn't by staying on the ground.

startsomething
Shutting down nasa has to be the stupidest idea anyone could conjure:!: Not only for exploration, but for protection. In 2029 there is a 1 in 37 chance of an asteroid hitting us and wiping out the western half of the us, and the eastern asian coast. I think nasa is being really inefficient with it's funds, and that they are focusing on the wrong things, but cutting a space program is no way to be. Actually, The Planetary Society does a better job at space exploration than nasa does (for the funds it recieves). But nasa also has lots of top secret military defense projects and things, so the russians don't build a giant satallite death ray.
freddymac
Hi,
Yes... I think it is worth it!
It may be the only chance for human kind in the future... have you noticed the change in Wheather these days? The whole planet is going nuts with wars, climate, religion, water, oil, food...etc... problems! If we don΄t find a new way of co-existing we are going to be in serious trouble in the future... NASA... please keep on going!!!
Masochistic Tendencies
Um...I think that we should since we aren't really doing anything with Nasa. We know all we need to know about space, but I doubt Nasa will ever shut down... >.> Ever.