FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USB Problem

Kashinilaya
My computer has two USB controllers with two USB ports each. My mouse and my keyboard were connected to one of the controllers. Suddenly, my mouse started to fail. I first thought it was a mouse problem, but I switched to a port in the other controller and the problem disappeared. After a while I begun to have the same problem with the mouse (at any of the four ports). To turn the computer on, I need to keep the mouse disconnected until Windows ask for it (otherwise Windows won`t recognise it). To turn the computer off I need to disconnect the mouse (otherwise it blinks and the computer doesn`t shut down).
Now I`m having problems with the keyboard too. When it happens I need to disconnect it and reconnect it back for the computer to recognise the existence of a keyboard.
Do you think it could be a bad contact problem? Could it be necessary to check the electrical connection on the IC board? Would it be more likely to be a software flaw?
If it helps, my computer is a Compaq (Pentium III) and the mouse is a microsoft optical one.
Thanks.
progman89
USB hardware in Windows often causes problems unless it is always kept on the same port. If you have access to another keyboard and mouse that you can do this with, try uninstalling the USB keyboard and mouse totally so it looks like you never plugged them into any of your USB ports. Then install them and leave them on the same ports permanently.
SoftStag
Sounds like one of your USB devices may be faulty, try a different mouse, this may sort the problem.
shishir_bit
Kashinilaya wrote:
My computer has two USB controllers with two USB ports each. My mouse and my keyboard were connected to one of the controllers. Suddenly, my mouse started to fail. I first thought it was a mouse problem, but I switched to a port in the other controller and the problem disappeared. After a while I begun to have the same problem with the mouse (at any of the four ports). To turn the computer on, I need to keep the mouse disconnected until Windows ask for it (otherwise Windows won`t recognise it). To turn the computer off I need to disconnect the mouse (otherwise it blinks and the computer doesn`t shut down).
Now I`m having problems with the keyboard too. When it happens I need to disconnect it and reconnect it back for the computer to recognise the existence of a keyboard.
Do you think it could be a bad contact problem? Could it be necessary to check the electrical connection on the IC board? Would it be more likely to be a software flaw?
If it helps, my computer is a Compaq (Pentium III) and the mouse is a microsoft optical one.
Thanks.

It seems that u can have some virus related problemwhich might be currupting your drivers files try to un install the files(drivers usb)the again install.
When this process is over then check it out if it works for some time then ends up with same problem then u may have virus problem.Then u should upgrade Anti virus with latest one.
If problems remains as it is then u have to verify your PC with some professional
Quote:
abhinav_shah
Since you haven't mentioned your OS, I assume it's Windows XP.

You can try out these steps :
1-> Go to control panel.
2-> Go to System
3-> Click on the hardware tab.
4-> Click on device manager
5-> Uninstall the keyboard.
6-> Uninstall the mouse.
7-> Now restart your computer by pressing the reboot button of your CPU (since your ksyboard and mouse will not work )
8-> Let Windows XP detect and install your devices automatically.

I hope this would solve your problem
Kashinilaya
Thank you all. I followed your advices and reinstalled the devices. I stopped having problems with the keyboard, but the problem with the mouse remains he same. One of my ports is definetely screwed up. I can`t afford taking the computer to the technical assitance at the moment. I really need to keep using the computer for a while and don`t have another computer. That`s why I decided to post here and I don`t regret for that.
I now believe I may need to reinstall the mouse drive, but I`m not sure about its model. It is supposed to be an optical MS Intellimouse, but I found many variations of it at MS site. I bought it a long time ago and I don`t have the specs. Any Idea of how to make a guess?
abhinav_shah
I think trial and error is the best method for you to find the driver's.