FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FIFA and the Vatican - Separated at birth?

Bikerman
I've been struck by the parallels between FIFA and the Vatican.
i. Both are the 'ruling' elite in their sphere - football and Catholicism.
ii. The corruption of both is legendary and well documented.
iii. Both managed to avoid any accountability for this corruption because they were generally considered untouchable.
iv. Both have been brought to book largely as a result of the action within/by the US - despite the fact that neither Catholicism nor football is particularly associated with America.
Indi
Cute. ^_^;

But i think there's actually an interesting and profound observation buried in that last point. Why is it that the Catholic sex scandals and the FIFA scandal both broke in the US?

That seems a little peculiar - neither FIFA nor the Vatican grabs all that much attention there. Even more strangely - especially in the case of the Catholic Church - they are insanely deferential to religion in general. People have been more or less aware of Catholic sex scandals for as long as the Church has existed, but respect for religion has always led to the complaints being buried. Why did it go nuclear in America, of all places?

Why is America the place where religions go to die (including pseudo-religions like football)... yet at the same time the most religious place in the developed world? It's a little bizarre, really.

I'm not sure there's a single, simple answer.
spinout
Hm, reminds of the manager staff at the company I worked at before ... US company owed.
We got documented by the nations biggest news paper aswell.

Other than that; my boy would have said the Illuminati as a comparisment. He sees the illuminati conspiracy all the time on youtube.
Peterssidan
I think America like being involved in many parts of the world. It's usually them who go on war in places like the middle east. The struggle against corruption can be seen as a kind of war, couldn't it?
johans
Bikerman wrote:
I've been struck by the parallels between FIFA and the Vatican.
i. Both are the 'ruling' elite in their sphere - football and Catholicism.
ii. The corruption of both is legendary and well documented.
iii. Both managed to avoid any accountability for this corruption because they were generally considered untouchable.
iv. Both have been brought to book largely as a result of the action within/by the US - despite the fact that neither Catholicism nor football is particularly associated with America.

I don't see any logic with the comparison. Shocked

Sports and Religion... I would be good if it is apple to apple. Idea
Bikerman
Huh?
Both the Vatican and FIFA are organisations, not abstract ideas. They both govern a worldwide set of organisations - FIFA is over the national football associations and the Vatican is over national Catholic Bishopricks and Diocese.
The comparison is perfectly logical and pretty easy to see....
tonberry
With Catholic Church it's probably a more complicated answer, but with FIFA I think it's simple: FIFA is a financial powerhouse and like all other financial powerhouses it has ways and means high up in the power chain. With European Union being both absurdly corrupted and morally bankrupt, there was probably little resistance to ensure that things will always go FIFA's way.

In order to hurt them someone from outside the corrupted system had to step in. Like Peterssidan said, US likes to get involved and play mr. worldwide Justice and that was very nice of them Very Happy

Of course how much that really shakes the corrupted structure there is anyone's guess. The darkest scenario is actually very pessimistic, it could be like with politics. Politicians know criminal/humiliating facts about other politicians and when someone makes the bad move and threatens a recent collective of power, he has to go and all those files suddenly start seeing the light of day. A faction within FIFA could just grow so powerful that they can threaten him and either leaked stuff to USA or just cooperated with them to get rid of their competition. Some highups in FIFA could have next FIFA president prepared and ready even before the corruption scandal broke.

That's of course a pessimistic vision, but given what kind of world we're living in, who knows Wink

If anyone hasn't seen this yet, great little video Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pqO6tK8_Wg