FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Build Web Hosting Server Help!

fantisto
Dear all Frihost's members...

I have always intended to set up and host my web site on my own web server on the internet.

I have read the article on the internet about how to build my own web server and host it on the internet, but it is not clearly addressed what i wanted.

I know that i need to have :
--->an high speed Internet Connection with an internet IP address
--->a web server (Apache or IIS ...).
--->but i dont know my i have to have a DNS server or not.
--->and could any one tell me what else i need to have?

Your helps are very much appreciated...

Thanks forward...
Naif
You yourself have listed almost all the requirements. If you want to use a Windows OS to run your server, use Windows 200X(You can use Windows XP too). If you want to use IIS, you very well can. In a book I read, 60% of the servers on the Internet run on Apache, where as 30% on IIS. IIS has a friendly GUI where as for apache, you'll have to manually edit its configuration file(s). I dont know if a GUI is available for it. Then install a good firewall on your system and allow traffic to enter on selected ports only. ZoneAlarm is a good solution.

By the way, you havent mentioned if you would like to give other users a/c's on your server?

Apart from this, you'll have to focus on security too. Dont run any uneeded services. If you want to use PHP scripts or PERL, you'll have to install the appropriate interpreters for it.

And most propably you'll need a router too so as to share your internet connection between different computers.

Hope this helps.
SoftStag
OK, you need the following:
Arrow Internet connection (preferably with a static IP)
Arrow PC to use as a server with either Linux or Windows (XP or 2K)
Arrow Apache or IIS Web server software (Apache is the preferred choice and free)
Arrow Registered Domain Name

OK, so they are the basics. Make sure you have some firewall software installed as well, you don't want your webserver hacked!

So what you need to do is get your PC, install your operating system (if not already done). Connect it to the internet - if you are using a router, then ensure port 80 is forwarded to your server. Find out what your public IP address is (if not sure go to www.whatismyip.com). Now log in to your account with whoever your domain name is registered with and point the domain name to your public IP address. Make sure you have your webserver software installed, configure it, place your web site on the server and if all is done correctly your website should be accessible. Very Happy

If you are using a dynamic IP address, then every time your IP address changes you will need to change the settings. This means that your site will be down for some time. Best to have a static IP if possible.
grantmaster
Yes, you do need to have DNS server(s). Otherwise, you would need to tell everybody that your website is something like this!

grantmaster
If you are OK with Linux, there is a linux distro called Onguard Linux available for free. It sets up the Apache web server and all kinds of security for you (including the firewall). The set-up is pretty complex but once it is finished it is really easy to manage.
fantisto
Thanks for your helps, really appreciated...

grantmaster wrote:
Yes, you do need to have DNS server(s). Otherwise, you would need to tell everybody that your website is something like this!

if i have only one server, could i install a web server with DNS server?
can it run smoothly? what are its disadvantages/advantages?

anyway, how to point my domain name to my IP address? because my server is behind the Lynksys router?

regards,
Fantisto.
Naif
fantisto wrote:

anyway, how to point my domain name to my IP address? because my server is behind the Lynksys router?

You'll have to configure port forwarding on your router. There are numerous guides available on the Internet which can help you with that.Google for "port forwarding on linksys router".
gonzo
for running a small scale server from your home ISP?

fantisto wrote:

--->an high speed Internet Connection with an internet IP address

http://noeld.com/dynsite.asp

Quote:
--->a web server (Apache or IIS ...).

http://apache2triad.net/

Quote:
--->DNS server

http://afraid.org

Quote:
linksys router

http://www.dd-wrt.com/
http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Port_Forwarding
riyadh
It is true that using a Windows platform as a server will be a lot easier but I would recommend you use Linux if you want your server to perform well.

About DNS - you need to register an IP address so that the web address points to your server. You can register a DNS for $15 a year.

Another thing is that if you do use a Windows platform, use the Apache Server - trust me, it is a very powerful server.
bananaphone
riyadh wrote:
It is true that using a Windows platform as a server will be a lot easier but I would recommend you use Linux if you want your server to perform well.

Linux is also much more secure - and faster.
Microsoft recently released their free (forever) version of SLQ Server - its called "Express Edition" - check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/
fantisto
Naif wrote:

By the way, you havent mentioned if you would like to give other users a/c's on your server?

So how can i give others user accounts on my server?
Could anyone clearify?
kv
riyadh wrote:

About DNS - you need to register an IP address so that the web address points to your server. You can register a DNS for $15 a year.

Another thing is that if you do use a Windows platform, use the Apache Server - trust me, it is a very powerful server.

You get free dns service. Try zoneedit.com or public-dns.org