FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WARNING - Personal Messages from Spammers

Bikerman
A couple of spammers have managed compose a bunch of PMs to members before I got to them and banned their asses.

Unfortunately I can't delete the PMs they sent, even though I have removed the users and forum postings.

I'm sure that members know this anyway, but it is worth repeating just in case:
If you get a pm (or email) offering money, services or other stuff that sounds too good to be true then please don't reply - just bin it. If it sounds too good to be true then it almost certainly IS.

BM
loveandormoney
Thank You for that information.

We or I

send back a joke
when spam arrived. Then they ll stop it.
Ankhanu
loveandormoney wrote:

We or I

send back a joke

Nah, instead you should report them, as suggested. That way we can remove them, and they can't spam anyone else.
Bikerman
Yes, just to confirm Ankhanu's message - please report them and then either ignore or bin the posting.
We'll do the rest. Don't get into replying or, worse, trying to 'revenge post' - it isn't sensible.
Much of the time these are software robots (bots), and even when it is a real person the best solution is for us to ban them and ban their network address.
deanhills
Wonder how the spammers selected their targets. I'm lucky. Didn't receive any PMs.
loveandormoney
Ankhanu wrote:
loveandormoney wrote:

We or I

send back a joke

Nah, instead you should report them, as suggested. That way we can remove them, and they can't spam anyone else.

I am sorry.
This happened to me not this year.

This happened long time ago here and in other forums.

So I told You

Dont be angry
because the Spammer is the bad guy.

You can be sure
tomorrow would be a Spam Attack in my mailbox
I ll send a message to webmaster and post a message here.
spinout
sure enough you wan't to have some fun with spammers. But that is depending on the type of spam... And if you got the time. But I have no gotten any spams to report.
Bikerman
Not sure how they selected. I got a pm with the usual 'need to transfer some money, can you help?' scam so I banned the user immediately. Not sure how many other users might have been pmd so I sent out a general warning just in case.
BM.
loveandormoney
spinout wrote:
sure enough you wan't to have some fun with spammers. But that is depending on the type of spam... And if you got the time. But I have no gotten any spams to report.

Dont be angry because of other humans.
standready
I have not received any such PMs but thank you Mods for all the hard work you do to keep Frihost safe. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
spinout
most often it is not the sender that is to blame - so even in this case. So the believed spammers are "lamers" that had some sort of app installed that was a spam-app (troyan). Right now this is a problem on FB, you click on the funny videolink and to view you have to grant some software to have access to you accounts - wham bam your account is spreading loads of spam without you even know it.