FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are Australians culling camels?

deanhills
Is this a propaganda movie as I find this amazing - almost inconceivable that camels would be culled in Australia? I didn't know that there were wild camels in Australia either.

Ankhanu
I haven't watched the video, but it wouldn;t surprise me. Camels have been a problem in the outback for decades; just one of many examples of exotic species messing with the Australian natural ecosystems; they cause a lot of damage.
tonberry
A friend has been telling me about it as well. If it's credible or not I don't know, but I'm sure quick Google search can clear this up. Generally, when new species is introduced into the environment to which it is adapted well (like camels are adapted to extreme heat well) and has no natural enemies, it's going to grow and grow and grow (not in size though probably Wink ). No luck for kangaroos!

Some renowned biologists say that this can be extremely beneficial for the ecosystem in some cases, though I didn't look into it further, only read some authorities on these subjects say it on separate occasions so there must be some truth in it.
LxGoodies
nice video, but a sad story Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Camels have been in Australia since 1840 and were imported on purpose, for expeditions.

http://camelfarm.com/camels/camels_australia.html