FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Car change oil.

johans
Hi all,

Every 3 months i visit automotive clinic just to changed the oil (change oil). Any body knows how to do it? basic change oil?

Because i pay a lot for the automotive company and it takes only 30 minutes for that task.

Can someone share?
badai
johans wrote:
Hi all,

Every 3 months i visit automotive clinic just to changed the oil (change oil). Any body knows how to do it? basic change oil?

Because i pay a lot for the automotive company and it takes only 30 minutes for that task.

Can someone share?

let them do it. they can disposed used engine oil properly.
standready
johans,
A basic oil change is of course draining the oil from car and replacing the oil filter. It is easy to do but you do need some equipment - A good jack and jack stands (or ramps), Oil filter wrench and wrench to remove drain plug plus a container to catch oil.
Here is the US, there are many places to purchase oil and filter plus they will accept your used oil for recycling.
However, the cost of oil and filter is often almost as much as I can have it done at one of the quick change places locally. Auto dealers do charge alot more.
I change my own oil except during colder weather. While doing it, I check the air filter, various fluid levels and tire pressure just like they do at the quick change place.
BigGeek
I always change my oil in my own cars - I would say 90% of the cars I have owned I could change the oil and filter without jacking the car up. My 1999 Grand Am - I have to put it up so I can drain the oil out of the motor into the catch pan.

I have never owned a oil filter wrench - I have a large pair of channel locks I use to remove oil filters - only 1 car I owned I needed an oil filter wrench.

Also some people tell you to warm the engine up before changing the oil - I say NO, change it cold in the morning because all the oil has drained out of the top of the engine into the pan. Additionally when you remove the drain plug let it drain until no more oil is dripping out of the drain hole - typically I walk out first thing in the morning - put the car up and slide the pan under it and pop the drain plug and then go back inside and get a cup of coffee and let it drain for a good 15 to 20 minutes.

Unscrew the filter and replace it. Put the drain plug back in and tighten it, drop the car down and fill the engine with oil. Check the other filters - and when I take the oil up the the auto parts store to drop if off for recycling I pick up an air filter and any other parts I need.

standready is right almost every parts store out there has a bin where you can drop off your old oil for recycling - so disposing of the oil is not a big problem!!
deanhills
In the UAE most of the petrol stations have a "kit" you can buy to do the oil change yourself. You can also pay an attendant at the petrol station to do it with the "kit" for a very low fee. Most people do it that way. Drive in for petrol, car wash and oil change all in one go.
Insanity
I think the ease of changing your own oil depends on the type of car. Some cars are noticeably easier to change the oil for than others. I believe the Japanese cars are much easier to learn how to change your oil than others. But the greatness of the world we live in today is that everything can be learned on the Internet. There are lots of YouTube videos that can tell you how to do the oil changing.
deanhills
Insanity wrote:
I believe the Japanese cars are much easier to learn how to change your oil than others.
Good point as most of the cars around the UAE are Japanese four wheel drives - Toyota, Nissan and Honda. Also Hyundai and Kia from Korea.
CHAOS-THEORY
Don't forget the Torque wrench, those bolts aren't meant to be tightened by a beginner, and yeah i realize that there's only one drainage bolt.
I wouldn't even let someone else tighten ma ride bolts, not even change my spark plugs, due them noobish work they'll probably mess one.
As for the oil change, it's somehow an easy task for an experienced user, after all it's not that much of steps, you may search on Youtube, there are like millions of videos on the same subjects, and the steps are mainly common and similar for most of the vehicles.
standready
BigGeek wrote:
I have never owned a oil filter wrench - I have a large pair of channel locks I use to remove oil filters - only 1 car I owned I needed an oil filter wrench.

True, you can use different items to remove oil filter. I have even used a large screw driver that I pushed through the filter to loosen the oil filter. Oil filter wrench just works well in tight spaces.
standready
Insanity wrote:
I think the ease of changing your own oil depends on the type of car

Agree! I have a '98 Saturn and replacing the oil filter is a itch. Filter is on the back side of engine and block by the alternator from top access and CV joint from underside making filter a pain.
BigGeek
standready wrote:
BigGeek wrote:

True, you can use different items to remove oil filter. I have even used a large screw driver that I pushed through the filter to loosen the oil filter. Oil filter wrench just works well in tight spaces.

I've pulled that trick before myself when the oil filter was in a tight place, and it works OK as long as the oil filter is not too tight - Once I tried that trick and the oil filter was on so tight that all the screw driver did was rip the sheet metal part of the filter off the base plate and left the base plate just as tight as ever screwed onto the filter seat - DOOH, I ended up having to remove the part the oil filter bolts on to from the side of the engine and put it in a vice to get it a part - I still consider that the longest oil change I ever did Very Happy

I had a 1983 Pontiac Fiero that you had to have a cap type oil filter wrench with the square slot in the back for a 3/8" drive ratchet to fit in, and I also had to have a 1" extension on the end of wrench or you could only move the wrench about an 18th of a turn. If you had those tools the oil filter was pretty easy to get off - the other thing about that car was you could in no way see the oil filter you were doing it all by feel.