FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Earthquake in Nepal

codegeek
There was a 7.8 Richter scale earthquake in Nepal on Saturday. Many people lost their lives, and even more were injured. Entire areas have been levelled. Kathmandu has lost many of its historic temples. After the initial earthquake hit, we were forced to stay outside due to the constant threat of aftershocks. The largest aftershock was 6.9 on the scale, with over 100 other aftershocks in the last 3 days. Luckily, me and my family are fine. One of the walls of our house fell down. And we had a bit of a horrible camping trip for 3 days. But beyond that, we were relatively fine. Many of my friends are out in the affected districts, distributing food and supplies and other things. I'm planning to join them soon. For me and my family, things have calmed down a bit. Until yesterday night, we were camping out in the open due to the aftershocks. But from tonight, I think we're going to sleep in our house itself.
deanhills
Was thinking of you Codegeek. Really sorry about this but glad you will be sleeping in your own house again. How did you fix the wall, did you do that by yourself, as can imagine the construction industry must be very busy right now. Glad the Internet is up and running again too, that means communications are working again.

Saw some of the devastation on the news tonight. Living like that in tents with almost no water and lack of sanitation has to be is a real recipe for a public health disaster in its own right. Doesn't look as though Nepal was prepared for a disaster like that. Hope that the help that has been donated will get to where it was intended to get soon.
codegeek
The wall is still down. We've covered it up with the big tent we were staying under before we came back to the house. The communications have been working fine since day 1, albeit extremely congested. Nepal Telecom have made all outgoing calls free within the country. Viber and Skype have chipped in by making all international calls through them free as well.

Yes, right now the biggest problem is the spread of epidemics like cholera and swine flu. I think this will only get worse before it gets better. Relief efforts have picked up speed, which is good. And the international community has been very helpful, sending money, supplies, rescue workers, helicopters and things like that. Hopefully, we will rise from this a stronger nation, and the government will start investing some funds into preparing for any such disasters in the future.
cybersa
codegeek wrote:
The wall is still down. We've covered it up with the big tent we were staying under before we came back to the house. The communications have been working fine since day 1, albeit extremely congested. Nepal Telecom have made all outgoing calls free within the country. Viber and Skype have chipped in by making all international calls through them free as well.

Yes, right now the biggest problem is the spread of epidemics like cholera and swine flu. I think this will only get worse before it gets better. Relief efforts have picked up speed, which is good. And the international community has been very helpful, sending money, supplies, rescue workers, helicopters and things like that. Hopefully, we will rise from this a stronger nation, and the government will start investing some funds into preparing for any such disasters in the future.

I'm glad that you are okay.
Hope everything will be fine soon.
codegeek
cybersa wrote:
codegeek wrote:

I'm glad that you are okay.
Hope everything will be fine soon.

Thank you. Relief efforts are picking up speed and we've received a lot of donations from the international community. I hope things get back to normal as well.