FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

3D Printers

mk12327
3D printers seem to get a relatively good take up rate than expected, though it is still very costly and (at least for myself) appears to be more of a novelty equipment.

Any thoughts on 3D printers and the potential of it allowing people to print design / products / replacement components from it?

Do you know of some very interesting use cases of it?
rx9876
mk12327 wrote:
3D printers seem to get a relatively good take up rate than expected, though it is still very costly and (at least for myself) appears to be more of a novelty equipment.

Any thoughts on 3D printers and the potential of it allowing people to print design / products / replacement components from it?

Do you know of some very interesting use cases of it?

I watched one episode of Castle Season 7.
That episode is about a people use 3D printer to print keys by a single picture
that people uploaded to the Internet,
for example, a young man showing his key of an expensive car.
The criminal just downloaded the picture and printed that key out, and he can use the printed key to open the car door.
It's really exaggerated.
The actual situation is the criminal got the actual key and got it 3D scanned, then he could print a duplication.

Someone actually did this, he printed a car key, and try to start a car.
However, the material to print the key is too fragile, so the key broken and stuck in the keyhole.

There is the whole story about printing a car key.
http://3dprintingindustry.com/2015/01/20/3d-printing-car-key/
jofferystark899
It all starts with making a virtual design of the object you want to create. This virtual design is made in a CAD (Computer Aided Design) file using a 3D modeling program (for the creation of a totally new object) or with the use of a 3D scanner (to copy an existing object). A 3D scanner makes a 3D digital copy of an object.

3d scanners use different technologies to generate a 3d model such as time-of-flight, structured / modulated light, volumetric scanning and many more.
jmpacific
I am not that familiar with the various types of printing media, but could you print with a wax that could be used to cast the resulting object out of a harder and/or more durable substance?