FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

whats the best way to protect agaisnt DDOS attacts?`

Cenastor
What the best way to protect a private minecraft server against DDOS attacts open to any ideas =) thank you
rx9876
Cenastor wrote:
What the best way to protect a private minecraft server against DDOS attacts open to any ideas =) thank you

Use a firewall to protect the server from unintentional incoming connections.
If the minecraft sever is a private server, the IP white list can be input by the administrator.
The server will only accept the IP from the white list to connect, and reduce the resource waste of certain layers.
dude_xyx
Its really hard to stop a DDOS attack unless you can spend money for better security. Like the other member said keeping IP white list would work but even that's not very practical since not everyone have static ip addresses from ISPs.
shappat
I'm just wondering, but would there have been any risk of the backups being modified in any way or not? Also do you know how the server was compromised (e.g. through a website vulnerability, viruses uploaded to server, etc.)?
bensh3
well most DDOS attacks can be stopped with a good software. You could check for timespans if you get many connections in the same rate well it might not be a human behind the computer. thats the basis but you can improve it to learn the "good trafics" and by this stop the "bad traffic" - for this you will have to understand some prameters and then combine it with machine learning.
Da Rossa
Some sites I visit have acquired this thing claiming it prevents, or at least reduces, the risk of being DDoS'ed: https://www.cloudflare.com/.
FunDa
Cloudflare should be working to prevent this. I've seen some big websites show a Cloudflare page when traffic is too high or something. Must be preventing a DDOS at the time.

But who would DDOS a private minecraft server anyway ?
An IP whitelist would be the easiest way for you to take care of the issue .
deanhills
I've found some users having problems with resources when they are using cloudflare. Not so sure it is a good idea for free shared hosting sites.
Da Rossa
So what would be the remedy against being DDoSed?