FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Terry Pratchett and the Discworld Series

lensman
This thread is dedicated to Terry Pratchet and his Discworld series.

The Discworld series takes place on and imaginary world that's shaped like a disk and placed on the back of four elephants that are standing on top of a giant turtle.

It sounds dum, but it really isn't. In fact I can safely say that Terry Pratchett is a modern-day Charles Dickens, using fantasy and humour to satirize everyday situations. People in Pratchett's novels don't get many physical description and yet we know how they look like because we've met them!

Trolls, wizards, dwarves and barbarians are all here but none behave like the way you expect!

To get a brief idea of how Pratchett writes, I give you some quotes:

She sighed again. She was familiar with the syndrome. They said they wanted a soulmate and helpmeet but sooner or later the list would include a skin like silk and a chest fit for a herd of cows.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Jingo)

One of the universal rules of happiness is: always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Jingo)

"What's a philosopher ?" said Brutha. "Someone who's bright enough to find a job with no heavy lifting," said a voice in his head.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

"Slave is an Ephebian word. In Om we have no word for slave," said Vorbis. "So I understand," said the Tyrant. "I imagine that fish have no word for water."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
davmcmul
that's very nice, but why not post it here
gh0stface
Yes, please use the search function next time. Smile

-Locked-