FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

king of guitar

edallica
who is the king of guitar?

it has to be Page.

any contenders?
fecundity
steve vai has to be the modern king

tho in his time definitly page Cool

Also an interesting guitarist is Matt Bellamy from Muse, hes a composer and a half!
shr3dd
John Petrucci from Dream Theater!!!!
fecundity
Petrucci's one of the best pickers around, hes so clean, but i stick with vai lol, his melodic playing rules, as does his shredding, his rythm work, the way his idea of a punk song is in 5/4 time wih diatonic triads...just so cool Cool
edallica
i had the most amazing time recently when i went to see vai...he was out of this world. it was the only gig ive been at which ive been seated but seriously this was the best gig ive ever been to. it wasnt a gig actually....it was a show, a full blown show...outstanding. he was on for 3 hours!!!! what a guy.

though the rover is just a classic song and nothing beats the solo. page=amazing.
lyndonray
jimi hendrix is who i would go with.
jefman22
i think they;re the best combo ever
petgraveyard
Close competition between Hendrix and Page...man, this is tough. I would say they are on equal levels (Don't hurt me). But it has to be one of them...it has to.
fecundity
I think it depends on waht style you are into, for ability at the minute Vai, but then without hendrix there would be a very very different range of music we listen to now...so hendrix deserves a lot of respect
erotic_city
billy corgan is the best I've heard. most of those guys you talk of (all except jimmy hendrix) just care about the technical side of things. they never actually WHAT to play.
edallica
erotic_city wrote:
billy corgan is the best I've heard. most of those guys you talk of (all except jimmy hendrix) just care about the technical side of things. they never actually WHAT to play.

is this guy on crack? billy corgan? does he even play guitar?

page is definately not a "technical guitarist" for one.

the word technical means absoultley nothing in music. ive never understood why anyone would uses it.
elector
a good guitar playing to me is never about the speed. that shows only how many hours did you spend practiceing. I like IDEAS in playing. when someone puts two riffs together and it sounds great.
personaly, I never liked Steve Vai and Co. But I must admit he had some fantastic ideas. But wen he goes t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t ( 100 tones/ second) I go crazy.
for example The Edge from U2 is a great guitarist. Never a virtuoso but uses electronics in the best way I ever heard.
bull blood
Umm.. That Direst Straits sologuitar.. um... Mark Knopfler! So fast to playing guitar..
SunburnedCactus
edallica wrote:
the word technical means absoultley nothing in music. ive never understood why anyone would uses it.

Rubbish. Technical in the context of music refers to the skill of a performer or piece, and is a fairly objective category. A technically accomplished musician (e.g. Satriani, Petrucci, Vai etc.) is one who is extremely proficient at their given instrument.

What is subjective in music is whether something is "good" or not, as this is entirely a matter of opinion. In fact, technicality is the only real judgable quality of music, but is not necessary to create a "classic" work.

So there!
ShineStar
dun no
Marcus
Jimmy Page all the way. He's not the best (Jimi Hendrix is), but sure can rock.
mjohnson
I am interest in playing the Guitar.I always think that there isn't a king of it because everyone's style is diffirent ,maybe I am the king in my girlfriend's eyes Razz
arch23
eric johnson. the first time i listened him played I didnt know if to laugh or cry, put my guitar away forever or keep practicing... I am still amazed when i listen to him play.
soledad
To me, Jimi Hendrix is the start and the end of the road when it comes to decide who would be the king of guitar . I really can't think anybody ahead of him . I am not at all ignoring the others , but it is also true that any other that you can think of is way way behind Jimi Hendris in all ways possible . Very Happy
dtdojo2
Tom Delonge
Mark Hoppus
Billie Joe Armstrong
Mike Dirnt
Matt Skiba
wutangdan
Mark Knopfler, Hendrix, or slowhand himself Clapton
pencapchew
dtdojo2 wrote:
Tom Delonge
Mark Hoppus
Billie Joe Armstrong
Mike Dirnt
Matt Skiba

damnit i knew someone would say billie joe armstrong
he really is not a good guitarist
at all

anyway I like buckethead, he's sweet
and yngwie malmsteen
bsimpsn05
Buckethead is truly amazing.. I saw him live one time and during the show he busted out these numcucks and started breakdancing... It was intense.

I think page was definitely one of the best. I'm a true fan of David Gilmour... I dont think he is technically even near being on top, but hes got skills and a very unique sound.
ddukki
There's a lot of guitarists that have good playing skills, but you really can't compare everyone to everyone. They came from different styles and unless every guitar player in the world played a cover of a good shredding song, I doubt it's possible to say there's one "King of Guitar".
Helios
Hendrix.
nicp
mick thompson or Corey Beaulieu both kick ass metal players
ositedagalera
Well... I thik that the DARON MALAKIAN of System Of A Down is a very good guitar player, but he don't is the best. The guitar player of Led Zeppelin is very good too. But I didn't know about this theme for elect a king of guitar.

Bye..
burzum
Hendrix....he may not be the Best...but he invented almost everything after all
MetallianRose
pencapchew wrote:

anyway I like buckethead, he's sweet
and yngwie malmsteen

Yngwie Malmsteen is amazing.
Has anyone ever heard of Michael Angelo Batio?
He can play a guitar with 4 heads...
And on a regular guitar, he is simply incredible (You can find videos online, if you don't believe me Razz )
rene
Kurt Cobain...
he might not have been the fastest player but all those noises that he could get from a guitar...it`s just amazing
nakamaru
Eddie Van Halen.