FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tell me how to learn the Piano

Da Rossa
By far my favourite instrument.

When I was 10, I was "awarded" with this nice, yet not professional keyboard. My mother used to play when she was a kid and brought some of her expertise, then taught me the very first steps. I still have it.

The problem is that this keyboard is not an actual piano and has quite light, loose keys. I live in an apartment and having a real piano is not an option.

I also don't know musical theory; what I play, with my limited ability, is 'by ears'.

Any tips for me learning it? By the way, this girl here is quite an inspiration, although she's FAR more qualified; she learnt classical music from her childhood:

http://youtu.be/Qw6pP3QCFow
standready
Big difference in learning piano for 'fun' or to perform classical pieces professionally. "Ears" are 'good'!
Try this link:
http://pianoguy.tv/
Scott Houston show provides good basics and up.

In my opinion, the keyboard you have will be a good starter to make sure you enjoy. Later, invest in an electronic keyboard with tighter keys. Even true pianos have different feel from one to next depending on how it was 'tuned'. I have sat at a couple that were way to 'tight' for me to play.

Just enjoy!
Da Rossa
Thanks a lot, Standready! I'll definitely take a look.
If anyone else has further tips, please shoot!! Very Happy
standready
You are welcome. Have fun!
I enjoy playing whether it is just for myself or performing solo or with friends.

Want to get your fingers loosen up:
http://www.hanon-online.com/
Da Rossa
Oops that sounds very promising, but I can't read the sheets. I don't have that... education. Very Happy Only my ears (used to) work... so those sheets are like egyptian glyphs to me... Sad

Besides, would those exercises be productive in the keyboard I described above? The keys are quite loose..
standready
Da Rossa wrote:
Besides, would those exercises be productive in the keyboard I described above? The keys are quite loose..

Yes, those finger exercises will help your fingers even on the loose keys. Hopefully you have a used bookstore nearby that you could find a cord/sheet music book. Or just search on-line. Someone is bound to have that info on their website. The above website may have it on-line. I did not look. I watch Scott's program on TV. I picked up a few 'tricks' too.
kaysch
How to learn to play the piano? Easy, just follow the instructions "How to play the waltz in six easy lessons" written by Johann Strauss. You don't know where to find them? They are mentioned in the Tom & Jerry episode 'Johann Mouse'. You'll just need 20 seconds, and then you'll be able to play "The Blue Danube". Enjoy!

On a more serious note, I tried to learn how to play the piano when I was young, and I got frustrated. It seems I have never really been able to read the notes as quickly as I should. So rehearsing basically meant counting lines and accidentals again and again. The fact that notes for piano are in treble and bass clef didn't really help me either. So I stopped after some years again because it just wasn't any fun and since those days I have never made any serious attempts anymore to touch the piano. I hope you'll have more success than I did. Good luck to you.
Da Rossa
Hahaha, very cute clip from Tom & Jerry!! Loved it!!

Did I mention that I can't read sheets at all? It would be like learning how to read at the age of 30. I don't even know what that symbols on those lanes are!

But thanks for the encouragement anyway!
deanhills
Last weekend I discovered a virtual online piano and have had enormous fun with it. Has to be great to learn to play with it. So many possibilities. Great fun to play the piano with a mouse. Still have to master playing it with a computer keyboard:

http://virtualpiano.net/
standready
Thanks for the link, Dean. Really difficult to play when your hands are on top of each other. Might be easier if computer keyboard was setup split down the middle at 'miidle C' instead of just starting at top and going down
deanhills
standready wrote:
Thanks for the link, Dean. Really difficult to play when your hands are on top of each other. Might be easier if computer keyboard was setup split down the middle at 'miidle C' instead of just starting at top and going down
Totally agreed. They are also split at the most uncomfortable junction on the keyboard. Must say it was pretty awesome to feel a "real" piano after such a long time. Those notes have a very realistic sound and feel to them.
spinout
I spent several years in our music school and trying to learn it and since the style was boring I didn't get enywhere.... The style was classical mideval practise runs.... Ah so boring.
Some years ago I went to the music store and they sold cheap keyboards with piano full scale sounds... I had to buy it and made it a gift to the oldest kid, and he hated it... So I sat down myself and tried to play something like boogie woogie, I had 2 goals: Make an own piano boogie and learn to play blueberry hill the Fats Domino arrangement. A year, maybe 2, later I had done it. I was doing stuff so much better on my own than in music school.
Youtube is so good for learning music, search and learn. And go directly after your goal.
Da Rossa
Thanks for the further input.
spinout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EucQOfgDGyc

Wel something like that is my idea of starter left hand workout. Once get it going you can add the right hand for improvising.