FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stamps: What are they coated with?

chasbeen
I had to post a lot of Christmas cards this year and I noticed my tongue turned blue with all the licking of the stamps. What is this blue and is it dangerous?
spinout
glue? haha
chasbeen
No but what's in the glue?

Is it some mysterious kind of mind control drug secretly placed there so that we become very sedate and do not quibble with outrageous political decisions for example.

Since licking the stamps I've noticed that I have a great deal of trouble getting out of bed in the morning?
Blaster
Lucky for us we don't have to lick stamps here in the states
Peterssidan
Same thing with envelopes... Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George's girlfriend dies after licking cheap envelopes.

The few times I do it I usually lick my finger or put water on it and smear it on the stamp or envelope, but there are stamps and envelopes that you don't have to lick but they are less common I think.
chasbeen
Honestly.

It's simple enough just run the stamp along a wet sponge. You don't have to lick them. Will the author please introduce sensible topics Smile
standready
^^^^^
Funny, chasbeen! blue glue!!!
deanhills
Belgians seem to be one up on the UK. They do it with chocolate. Lick with a kick! Razz

Insanity
I'm a super germaphobe so I wouldn't do the licking of stamps, mostly I just use water I think it's safer anyways. But it's probably some ink in the glue that makes it turn blue.
chasbeen
dh
Hmm not sure about licking Belgium stamps. Then your tongue might turn brown Sad...
And I doon't fancy that either Sad
deanhills
Those Belgians are quite good with their standards. They'd probably be careful with everything to avoid being sued by people who don't want colored tongues. I checked some more videos, and apparently the big thing is the smell of chocolate that comes from the stamps, particularly when one fingers them. They give off a distinct dark chocolate aroma. Looks as though people like the aroma more than the actual taste. There are also fruit tasting stamps from Germany. Looks as though licking stamps could turn into a real delicacy. Razz

standready
mmm, stamps! Finger lickin' good! laugh
spinout
ha I did see that seinfedt episode...
coolclay
Wow, weird I didn't think any countries still had lickable stamps. Um yea you should have you tongued checked out if it's blue and take the other suggestions use a wet sponge!!!