FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Creating an app

truespeed
Is it possible to create an app that sends a message to a phone every time a forum has a new topic? I like the idea of doing this for my forum as it would alert anyone who downloaded it of a new topic.
badai
i'm not really familiar with it, but i heard there are "push notification" for android (GCM) and IOS (APNs) where you can push message to andorid/IOS.

Also, there is this long polling technique where client will check server from time to time.
Marcuzzo
badai wrote:
Also, there is this long polling technique where client will check server from time to time.

IMO, for android, GCM is the way to go. polling the server for an update will eat up the battery and consume unneeded data.

there are other push notification web services out there if you don't want to use google's.
also, you may want to check if there isn't any app available for the forum software you are using. like eg: tapatalk
cybersa
truespeed wrote:
Is it possible to create an app that sends a message to a phone every time a forum has a new topic? I like the idea of doing this for my forum as it would alert anyone who downloaded it of a new topic.

As said by Marcuzzo and badai.
You need to use Push notification for better battery saving.

Suggestion:

1.Create a php file which accept two POST variable like title and short description,which will send Push notification to smart phone.
For GCM you can see this tutorial
https://developer.android.com/google/gcm/index.html

2.Call the above php when new post or thread is posted with topic title and short description as arguments.