FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

70 Years After the Firebombing

jajarvin
Here is an article of bombing of Dresden Remembering Dresden: 70 Years After the Firebombing
Quote:
In the last months of World War II, Allied bombers from the British Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Forcecon
ducted several major bombing raids on the eastern German city of Dresden.

Beginning on the night of February 13, 1945, more than 1,200 heavy bombers dropped nearly 4,000 tons
of high-explosive and incendiary bombs on the city in four successive raids.

An estimated 25,000 people were killed in the bombings and the firestorm that raged afterward.
More than 75,000 dwellings were destroyed, along with unique monuments of Baroque architecture in the historic city center.

The scale of the death and destruction, coming so late in the war, along with significant questions about
the legitimacy of the targets destroyed have led to years of debate about whether the attack was justified,
or whether it should be labeled a war crime.

The city of Dresden will commemorate the 70th anniversary of the firebombing beginning Friday night.

SonLight
I definitely think bombing Dresden was a mistake by the Allies, although there may have been certain military targets there which needed to be eliminated. The war was winding down at the time. At least in hindsight it is clear that the huge cost in lives and property were unnecessary.

I suspect the German military was partly responsible. While the Allies had declared they would not accept anything but an unconditional surrender, they would doubtless have considered backing off from some attacks if the Germans agreed not to initiate new attacks.

The Allies were afraid of a German Nuclear weapon, V2 or other rockets, and in general the fact that they clearly had the technical capability to design and deploy other threatening weapons if given sufficient opportunity. Perhaps there was no realistic way for the Allies to know bombing Dresden was unnecessary.