FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Snow: Love it or hate it

coolclay
Whether you love snow or hate it, I think anyway living in Eastern Massachusetts can basically say we are tired of it!

This is the most snow I have ever seen any where I've ever lived and in the period of 2 weeks. So far we've gotten around 5-6 feet/2 meters in a 2 week period! It's insane people, cities and towns all over the region have no idea where to put all this snow. Usually some of it melts in between each storm but this year it's but well below freezing since the snow started and not much has melted.

If this continues and it all melts in a matter of days, there will be some serious flooding issues!

I've had to shovel snow from my drive way then shovel it again from the pile to make room for more snow, it's getting ridiculous. Thank goodness I have snowshoes!!!

Anyone have any good snow stories?

As a side thought maybe we should start shipping it to California to solve their drought!
Blaster
That was my attitude last year. This year it just seems to be ice. Today is a prime example of yet another ice storm. The ice is worse in the short run. Many people don't know how to slow down and leave distance.
deanhills
Haha .... this is true Coolclay. I've just been receiving correspondence from a friend of mine who lives in New Hampshire - complaining heavily:

Quote:
Quote:
More friggin snow. as much as I like the snow I'm getting real sick of getting it by the foot every few days.

It's getting bad. It didn't even start snowing until 2 weeks ago and it hasn't stopped longer than a day since. And it's not just an inch or two. It's getting a god damn foot every 3 days!
playfungames
YES I love snow.

Where I live, it doesn't snow at all. There was like 1 minor snowfall that I didn't get to see because I was indoors. It melted away so quickly that the only thing that the snow did was get everything wet, just like the rain.

In my entire lifetimes, I have properly experienced snow 2 times. One when, I went hiking in the tallest hill surrounding my country. Two, when I went up to the high Himalayas--the Annapurna Base Camp. Both the times, I loved it so much. We played in it for so long, throwing snowballs at each other, trying to build a snowman while having no experience at it. The result was a stupid looking snowman.

But, I understand that the people who gets too much snow hates it. My friends always complain that its snowing while, me on the other hand, would love to play in the snow.
spinout
Hm, mostly hate it - but for the weekends it is good to take the kids to the slope. Mostly it is just problems with the roads....
standready
I like my seasons but there comes a point where enough is enough or too much! Agree, drivers are idiots when it comes to snow/ice conditions.
jajarvin
Snow makes our dark days bright; without snow days were very dark.
Peterssidan
I thought snow was fun when I was young because we could build snow caves and ride down the slopes in a pulka. Nowadays I don't do much snow activities. I'm happy if I don't have to shovel snow. I also run outside all year so less snow is to prefer. Ice is worse though so a little bit of snow to cover it up can actually be good.

jajarvin wrote:
Snow makes our dark days bright; without snow days were very dark.
Yes, it really makes a huge difference. It doesn't have to be a lot of snow. Just enough to cover the dark ground and trees.
deanhills
I can also relate to "too much snow". Had that in Calgary, AB in Canada a few years ago. It does look white and bright initially, but in the city the snow very soon turns into sludge as the warm chinook winds from the mountain melts it. Very rarely the snow will take for days at an end. What I can remember is the dirty sludge and trying to negotiate ice on the pavements. As it can get freezing cold in Calgary, like -15-30 degrees Celsius, so the sludge turns into instant ice. You've got to watch your step and wear really good boots.
standready
From over a week ago when we got 16 inches of snow and a plow driver that does not do the job very well.
Sitting across the street

Took him over 90 minutes to get 'free'!!
Insanity
I've been in California, and I don't think that drought is going to be any better once they start rationing water toe veryone. Everyone everywhere has problems right now and while I don't envy people on the East Coast, I don't think it's a picnic over in California either. As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.
coolclay
Deanhills: your friend knows exactly what I am talking about. It's just getting a little ridiculous. I knew it was bound to happen we had bright sunny warm days in Dec. and Jan, and now we are paying a huge bill!

Standready: that's a crazy photo my friend, I am glad it hasn't happened here because the truck would have taken out several houses!

Insanity: you make a great point! I think we are getting the West coasts share of precip. if there was a way to pump your way I am sure we would!

I think we all appreciate things more when we don't have to deal with the negative aspects of them regularly.

Great comments!
Blaster
I was just thinking we could start loading it into tank train cars and shipping it to California. Take what is too much in one area and bring it to the area that is needed.
coolclay
I know right, I told someone that same thing a few days ago!
johans
Philippines is not known for snow so i guess we love to watch and feel it.

I dont like too much cold but just for the view and experience then i can say i love it.
Blaster
coolclay wrote:
I know right, I told someone that same thing a few days ago!

I'm sure someone is some corporate office will get paid a lot of money for coming up with this same idea.
coolclay
That's ok the Philippines are known for much better things than snow. How about I trade you some snow and ice for a coral reef or two?
standready
Darn "lake effect" today. Snowed so hard that driving as a chore.
dude_xyx
I live in a tropical country. So snow is not something we get to see often or at all. When I was a kid I always wanted to live in some-where it's always snowing (has to blame all those cartoons specially Christmas stuff) But not anymore. It's fun a day or two. Not more than that.
deanhills
My "snowed in" friend from New Hampshire sent me this YouTube show - warning - a swear word here and there, but definitely the best weather broadcast I've heard in a long while! Laughing

standready
^^^^^^^^^^
swear words not here or there but EVERYWHERE! still funny though
coolclay
That's quality reporting right there! "Total accumulation.... who the beep cares, we got no where to put the snow we have now!!"

The pretty much wraps up the situation entirely.

I continue to shovel and pack down the 10 foot high snow piles along my driveway just to make room for the new snow! It's just ridiculous!
deanhills
Wonder whether one could build a quinzhee with the excess snow - should be fun.

standready
I don't think so. Dean. The snow has been mostly the dry, fluffy stuff that easily blows around.
deanhills
Darn! OK, maybe better suited for igloo country to the North of the US. Very Happy
Blaster
We got about 3 inches yesterday. Luckily with the sun out it seems that its starting to melt. Nice to have days above freezing after this artic freeze we had the last week.
coolclay
Even the coldest flakiest snow still packs solid. In preparation for the last storm for which the were predicting 80 mph gusts, I attempted to build a massive snow block snow drift fence around the driveway.

I was able to chop out very massive chunks that held together extremely well. I felt like I was prepping to actually build an igloo, but instead just build a fortress of snow around the driveway.

It actually worked really well, it prevented giant drifts that had formed during the last couple of storms. Luckily the snow fall was a little lower than predicted (a saving grace!!!).

I think I might have to attempt building a snow shelter we certainly have no shortage of it!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Even the coldest flakiest snow still packs solid. In preparation for the last storm for which the were predicting 80 mph gusts, I attempted to build a massive snow block snow drift fence around the driveway.

I was able to chop out very massive chunks that held together extremely well. I felt like I was prepping to actually build an igloo, but instead just build a fortress of snow around the driveway.

It actually worked really well, it prevented giant drifts that had formed during the last couple of storms. Luckily the snow fall was a little lower than predicted (a saving grace!!!).

I think I might have to attempt building a snow shelter we certainly have no shortage of it!
I'm totally in awe! Well done! Cool
standready
Overnight, the temperature here dropped to -9 F! Still better than large amount of snow.
Blaster
The temperature around here has been at a low of -20 with wind chill. And its been windy the last few days. Snow drifts had been a problem around here with the little bit of snow we had. I couldn't imagine up your way.
technodz
in my opinion a lot of people love to see the snow when its raining and when stops and almost everyone get out to have fun Wink
Blaster
Got about 7 inches yesterday. Sadly it was middle of the day so people were still out. Can't stand having to drive with people who can't drive in the snow or have cars out in it that can't handle the snow. Some jackass hit my car yesterday because he was traveling too close. I had not problems driving in it with my four wheel drive.
soniyap19
I don't care whether you love it or not... But Love snow.,..
Blaster
Got another coating overnight. Nothing major this time. Hopefully the snow is winding down. Its becoming late in the season here to get snow.
coolclay
Sorry to hear about your accident Blaster! That sucks. It is really unfortunate that so many people are poor snow drivers in PA. Here in New England it is much better. Most people either have all wheel drive, front wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive. There are very few rear wheel drive vehicles (except mine maybe) but I have chains for the rear wheels if it is slick out.

This next week will be our first day above freezing in more than a month! Spring is around here somewhere we just need to dig it out of a snowbank!
cybersa
I'm from Tamilnadu,India.
No Snow here.

But when i see it on movie or any other video,i love it. Smile
deanhills
cybersa wrote:
I'm from Tamilnadu,India.
No Snow here.

But when i see it on movie or any other video,i love it. Smile
Always looks good in the movies. I also enjoy it for one day when there is really deep snow and excitement in the air. Like I once experienced a freak e-mail fall on Guernsey Island in the Channel Islands. During 2009 I think it was. Kids went completely crazy. Schools were closed. Was fun for one day.
Blaster
It snowed here yesterday. Got about 6 inches. Can't complain though because I got paid not to come into work. Can't argue that. Now let the warm weather come so I can get back out on the golf course.
mshafiq
I am also in such area where temperature in winter is -20 and with wind chill feel like -25.
i like snow but to much snow creates travelling problems.
mshafiq
I am also in such area where temperature in winter is -20 and with wind chill feel like -25.
i like snow but to much snow creates travelling problems.
ownjoouk
I love snow but where I like in the UK we rarely get it.

One year on the news it showed a satellite map of the uk and it was completely white.

Except for one green spot on the coast. And that was where I live. Blackpool.

So while everyone was having a nightmare I was driving to work with no issues.

It did however eventually get us but not for long.
standready
I actually enjoy seasons but am glad that Spring is here tomorrow and re-birth of the plants will be begin.
Blaster
Spring came and so did 3 inches of snow for me. Luckily the sun came out and most of it has already melted. I'm tired of the cold and I'm just looking forward to being in the 70s.
standready
standready wrote:
I actually enjoy seasons but am glad that Spring is here tomorrow and re-birth of the plants will be begin.

Well not quite yet apparently because yesterday we received around 3 inches of snow! Come on Spring!!!
Blaster
I think we skipped spring and went straight for summer. It was in the 80s here today. Can't lie I'm enjoying it though
loveandormoney
We had a funny idea.
We put the snow in a cake
gave the snow apple taste
and then we bake the cake.

And the snow did not become water.