FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost Time Warp!

deanhills
Is it my imagination, but every other day looks as though I'm missing a day at Frihost. I end up at say 52 points and the next day I'm at 44. For the last week any way. Wonder whether Frihost has been losing time or something?
Blaster
I've noticed this too. Kind of weird but havn't really put much thought into why this was.
spinout
Looks like a reprogramming
deanhills
Today it's back to 45. Business as usual. Razz
johans
spinout wrote:
Looks like a reprogramming

I think so..
deanhills
Weird again. Ended up with 46.21 last session, and am down one point at the start of the next session. 45.21. Think
standready
I think it is a 'glitch' in the system.
dude_xyx
Maybe FriHost went through a black hole !
deanhills
dude_xyx wrote:
Laughing A good one. Like in and out all of the time. We missed the black hole last night. Started at 45 today. See what tomorrow brings. Maybe black hole again.
LxGoodies
deanhills wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:
Laughing A good one. Like in and out all of the time. We missed the black hole last night. Started at 45 today. See what tomorrow brings. Maybe black hole again.

Maybe the black hole is already in orbit, inside the earth. Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle wrote a book about that.

Lucifer's_Hammer

The date is now 1/29/2015, we're living three days in the past. The black hole must be travelling at near light speed, devastating the earth's mantle. When the black hole goes in a deeper orbit, it will at some time meet the iron core, causing it to explode.
coolclay
That is fascinating. I tried figuring out the "system" of how exactly points get taken out but have seen similar oddities such as you describe. Maybe there is a basic issue with the original code.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
That is fascinating. I tried figuring out the "system" of how exactly points get taken out but have seen similar oddities such as you describe. Maybe there is a basic issue with the original code.
I sometimes wonder whether it is Bondings with a sense of humour. He added a piece of code for a touch of randomness to keep us guessing. Razz
Blaster
Frihost is getting old. Must be loosing it a bit.
Insanity
I haven't seen any signs of life from Bondings on this forum for a while now, so I don't know about that.
deanhills
Insanity wrote:
I haven't seen any signs of life from Bondings on this forum for a while now, so I don't know about that.
At least the servers are chugging along and we're enjoying Rolls Royce quality hosting space. Bondings has us parked at an above average quality data center.
deanhills
Haha .... lost one point again! Weird though. 44.30 when I started this session.
chasbeen
Yeah I was on over 100 points and now I'm nearly -90 points? But then again this is my first entry for 6 months ? weird...
Blaster
Points reset to 45 every day then go down 1 each day after that.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Points reset to 45 every day then go down 1 each day after that.
It's supposed to work that way but doesn't always, hence this thread. You may end up with 44 instead of 45 points when the points are reset. Or lose a point during posting.
chasbeen
This is Frihost so
(1) There's nothing like it on the internet
(2) It is unconventional so think unconventional when encountering unusual cicumstances...

Quote:
MODERATOR - excessive emoticons deleted. Review teh FriHost forum rules.
-Ankhanu
playfungames
I never care that much about my points. May be it's happening to me too. But I never notice ;(
alvarorojas4
playfungames wrote:
I never care that much about my points. May be it's happening to me too. But I never notice ;(

At least you have positive points!
standready
Seems to be warping once again. Today, my points have gotten really warped.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Mine seems to be OK - 45. Now that doesn't make sense. Random warping.
chasbeen
Yeah mines dropped to minus 81 now.
It's a terrible shock Sad
standready
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:
Mine seems to be OK - 45. Now that doesn't make sense. Random warping.

Mine is OK today reset to 45 points. Yesterday, it reset to 45.58 which was strange because I had 47.03 points before that reset.
deanhills
standready wrote:

Mine is OK today reset to 45 points. Yesterday, it reset to 45.58 which was strange because I had 47.03 points before that reset.
I had one of those fraction resets as well some time ago - puzzling to me too. Today is a good day however as mine has been reset to 45 points as well.
Insanity
At least you guys have lots of points! That's the important thing. And everyone posts enough to stay above the limit. It's good that the community is still pretty active.
deanhills
Insanity wrote:
At least you guys have lots of points! That's the important thing. And everyone posts enough to stay above the limit. It's good that the community is still pretty active.
True. At least the points system is still working. And we have GREAT hosting. Bondings has us at an excellent data center.
standready
points are warped again. Dropped to 44.58 points this morning instead of 45 points.
Blaster
Somehow I dropped a weird number. I should have been at like 35 but it was less than that and in the decimal points.
standready
I dropped to 45.22 this morning and probably would have dropped more had I not posted. Betting later today, points will be at 45.
standready
standready wrote:
Betting later today, points will be at 45.

yep back to 45 points in the afternoon. Go figure or not.
deanhills
Lost one point from 55.55 to 54.55. One point leaked somewhere. Razz
standready
deanhills wrote:
Lost one point from 55.55 to 54.55. One point leaked somewhere. Razz

I think the system is setup to take 1 point from all accounts then reset any account over that is still over 45 points back to 45.
Every once in a while system goes 'goofy' however.
deanhills
This morning everything seems to be right with the world. 45.00 as it should be.
standready
I dropped from 48+ points to 44. That's wrapped!

EDIT:
points reset again while I was typing this post!
deanhills
standready wrote:
I dropped from 48+ points to 44. That's wrapped!

EDIT:
points reset again while I was typing this post!
That's cheating. Wow! Think we need to write to Bondings about this. Razz Mind you, if he could just fix the statistics tool so we can count posts again, that would make me very happy.
standready
warp factor 44 again this morning from 47+
deanhills
Aha .... So maybe I should have been at 42 instead of 41. Been really busy last few days.
deanhills
Been quiet off late with the time warp, but last night it struck again. One point down. 44.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Been quiet off late with the time warp, but last night it struck again. One point down. 44.

Once again yesterday and today points got reset to 44 instead of 45. WARPED!!! laugh
amagard
Idea May be this happens when switching servers to or from daylight savings time ?
deanhills
It's more often than that Amagard. But yes, maybe it could have happened with Standready. I'm not in a daylight change zone though.
standready
and it warped to 44 points again today! I had 47.18 points before reset. Brick wall
tonberry
There is clearly a point scam in the making here on Frihost. In the next few months, I expect the point scam lord to emerge from the underground and start imposing his devil plans on us negative and small-positive pointers!
deanhills
I got Time WARP from last night. Was well over 50 points and ended up with 44 the day after.

Agreed Tonberry. We've got a point conspiracy at Frihost. Can just picture Bondings shaking with laughter. Very Happy

tonberry
Lol that's him! I didn't expect him to be so open about his intentions, he really must think he's untouchable!
deanhills
Lost one point again. Strange how it works.
Aredon
deanhills wrote:
I guess it's true what they say about death and taxes. Cool
deanhills
Aredon wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I guess it's true what they say about death and taxes. Cool
Definitely. Razz

Think I was time warped last night again.
deanhills
Today's point scenario was scary. I started with 44 (should have been 45). Went up to 51, and am back to 44.95. All in a matter of minutes. Shocked

After editing this one line, jumped to 46 points. Wonder whether Bondings is having fun with points again. Razz
Aredon
Seems more likely that there's an error somewhere.
deanhills
True. I've experienced it again yesterday. Keeps things interesting though. Very Happy
SonLight
It seems likely there are at least two scripts running which adjust points, and that sometimes there is a race condition. For example, script A might read the points, compute an adjustment, and store the result. In the meantime, script B sees the same point value script A saw, and makes its adjustment. Then when script A stores its result, the change made by script B is lost.

I would expect the problem to occur only when a user has 45 points or more, since otherwise dealing with points is quite simple. It would be interesting to confirm that.
Ankhanu
I've noticed this happening through the years as well, and seems to happen quite frequently. I have no idea why it might be happening, Bondings has never shared the scripts he used for the points calculation/resets and reward systems... For regular users, it's really not much of an issue, but, if a user is doing something like banking 45 points, and trusting those points to drop one day at a time and not coming back until they are supposed to run out it could have implications on their falling to negatives.

Honestly, I think this happens on most* days, though not all.

* "most" used somewhat liberally, likely in less than 50% of the time, but not too far below.
deanhills
Now this is an interesting one. I started this posting session with 43.57 points. Wonder what happened with the 3 points? Weird!
SonLight
I guess I should consider it "good fortune" that my points are still negative, so I most likely will never lose any points that I'm entitled to as long as that is the case.

From what you have said, it appears points only disappear from around 45 or so. "Worst case" loss appears to be, 1) Points may be capped at 45 points more than once in a day, 2) A single point is taken away as a "charge", could happen either before or after it is capped.

If I have described a true worst case, ie it never gets worse than this, then it seems that

A. If you started a day with less than 45 points, you will not "lose" more than one point during that day.

B. If you started with more than 45 points, you will never drop below 44 points during the day.

There was a time when this could have affected me, but not at the moment. If I ever get back to 45 poinnts, then it will probably affect me again.

Possible contest idea: Who can write scripts with potential "race" conditions which could lead to the observed loss of points.
deanhills
Someone is really playing with the points. I'm losing points big time now. Like two points in one day. That hasn't happened before. Confused
Josso
This is like that TNG episode where they get knocked out from a wormhole and realise that they are missing several days from looking at crystal growth.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
This is like that TNG episode where they get knocked out from a wormhole and realise that they are missing several days from looking at crystal growth.
You're right. It feels that way at times at Frihost for sure. Like the years just seem to be passing so fast, like I'm not always so sure which one I'm in. Razz
standready
points warped again today. had 47+ before reset to 44.
deanhills
Exact same thing with mine. My points were set to 44 as well.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Exact same thing with mine. My points were set to 44 as well.

And again today. I could maybe understand yesterday as a belated Halloween prank (trick) but not today.
deanhills
I lucked out today. I'm on 45. Laughing
standready
deanhills wrote:

Not me. Yet another day kicked back to 44.
standready
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Not me. Yet another day kicked back to 44.

And again. I guess Frihost does not like me anymore?
deanhills
I had a natural 44 today. Missed a day yesterday.
standready
Today, reset to 45! Very Happy
deanhills
standready wrote:
Today, reset to 45! Very Happy
Same here! World is turning around the right way for a change. Very Happy
deanhills
Got a 44 again when I logged in. Weird! Think
standready
deanhills wrote:
Got a 44 again when I logged in. Weird! Think

I notice a couple times that I posted during 'reset time' (here between 7-9 am local) which monkeyed my points up.
deanhills
OK, now this is a first. When I logged in today - lost less than a point. 44.20 points. More weird!
standready
deanhills wrote:
OK, now this is a first. When I logged in today - lost less than a point. 44.20 points. More weird!

That is strange??? Where is Bondings when questions needs confusion?
SonLight
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

That is strange??? Where is Bondings when questions needs confusion?

Methinks this question has enough confusion already. It's almost surely some kind of a race condition, but what kind? Is it a sprint, an eight-furlong sweepstakes, or a steeplechase?

If Bondings responds to this, he might actually find the errant code and fix it, and that would take all the fun out of it. Instead, we can change the terms of service to talk about 45 +/- 2 points instead of just 45, and mark the bug report 'no need to fix'.
standready
^^^
Just to shake things up! Laughing