FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Simple home storage server

Da Rossa
I'm thinking about using a machine I have here as a home storage server. It is an unused desktop here with a 2007 Core2Duo E6300 (I think), 2GB RAM DDR2, a low-end video card and a 750GB hard drive. The motherboard is some Intel model of that time.

NAS storage devices are out of consideration here in Brazil, so I'm considering a home-made storage-only system. Some people told me I just would have to invest in the hard drives themselves, a total ammount of four and set some RAID array. But I'm not so sure.

What should I do, having in mind that I'm not even sure of the motherboard model? Which OS? CentOS, Fedora 21.5, what?

Thanks!
deanhills
Well if it's only files you are going to store, why not get an external hard disk? At least you can transport it with you, whereas a desktop standalone at home may not be as flexible and take up lots of space?
Da Rossa
Hi Dean! And sorry for the long time for the feedback.

So, the main idea is to have something "ready". Yes, a desktop case could take up space, but a simple external hard drive needs USB connection and the transfer rate is not as good as it should be. I'd like something to mirror the current setup, with a LAN connection and remote interface for administration.

Also, the second desktop as I stated would make it possible to use a RAID array. But still, I don't know the best setup, management software or other specific things.

Any help?
jickson
Implmenting raid will be much safer and prevent data loss even if one hdd losses
schermann
have you considered using a NAS-Linux distribution like "Free-NAS".

so you can save a lot of hours and have the benefits of a NAS-Storage like Web-interfaces, easy configurable RAID levels, backup, ...
Da Rossa
Can I rely on a regular home-user desktop with a number of hard drives or do I need a NAS box? Getting one is not an option now..